Register now to get rid of these ads!

Boyds 1927 coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Larsdk, Apr 19, 2008.

1. A friend of mine just bought a 1926 t-coupe, and we talked about how to build it. I remembered an article in an old Rod and custom, where Boyds crew build one on 30 or 31 chevy rails. Anybody got info and pictures, we need both
    Thanks
    Lars

2. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

The Chevy rails are aclose fit but still need considerable work to get them right. Lot of holes to fill and 78 year old metal. You would be further ahead to have some 10ga. channels broke and shape them yourself.

Ron

3. The Rod & Custom you are after is the January 2005 issue. Not sure how enlightening the article is but it starts on page 56 and has lots of pics.

The only reason I know this is because it's the issue my Five-Window is in......Johnnie.

4. HotRod_Joe

HotRod_Joe

5. Yes, thats the one
    I like the stance

6. metalshapes

metalshapes

It doesnt look like the fit is that great at all...

El Polacko did a really cool TECH on how to bend & shape square Tubing to build some Frame Rails.

Maybe somebody can Post a Link?

7. Outside of the wedge chop & that funky quarter window, I love that coupe.

Even still, I'd love to own that car.

JH

8. rodncustom

rodncustom

9. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

It was also on American Hot Rod, with the old Budget Beater I traded Riz for...............

See Before & After shots

Attached Files:

10. chad

chad

Anyone have this link?

11. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

The rails to me look very boring, if you can get a hold of a 32 frame or even if you use a set of new rails they look great, you have to start pinching the frame right around the front firewall holes on a early frame, if no 32 frame i'm sure with a bit of creativeness you could make a nicer rail then that.

12. Ol Deuce

Ol Deuce
    from Mt. U.S.A.

Its the whole package, the stance. that makes that car. ya pick it apart, the chassis is to smooth-flat --not really right for the "T" I think!

13. the rear wheel wells definatly look weird to me being raised

14. Thanks, now he has a pic and know what im talking about, and i have seen the 27 rpu, that Riz made in R and C, and i liked it.
    What is he (Jim Rizzo) doing now

15. Yeah, but this is Denmark and the law is a bit stiff about making your own rails. In fact the law is a bit stiff about making your own car/motorcycle. It can be done , but its a drag

16. I agree. I even like the chop, but the windows...

17. specialk

specialk

That Riz truck build came out just after a show on TLC? Discovery? that showed a bunch of guys building a car from a donated engine, grandpa's old dodge body body, A frame, etc.

That show was the eye opener for me on a trad kinda build. The truck was just fun to watch being built (though his shakedown cruise was about the scariest thing I've ever seen on TV).

18. last i checked he was writing for street rodder doing some fairly cool basic tech around another rpu

19. I wasn't into that show(or any car shows)but I saw that episode. What happened to "Bluebear", the kid who wanted to build his car traditionally but Boyd wouldn't let him for safety reasons?

20. 63jalopy

63jalopy

Bluebear is at Jimmy White's shop

21. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Riz is one of the nicest and helpful guys ever working in the edit business. He builds what he likes - basic and fun stuff.

22. Good for him, Jimmy is one of the nicest "pro builders" I've meet.