Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Boyd Red Paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J Davis, Apr 27, 2019.

1. J Davis

J Davis

I am looking for some Boyd Red paint for touch up on my '32 roadster. I heard that at one point one of the major paint companies (DuPont) was actually selling Boyd Red paint but I have been unable to actually find any. DuPont no longer exists as a paint brand. It is now known as Cromax. Online I found some paint formulas that are supposedly Boyd Red but the two I found are different and there can only be one right one. I even read somewhere that PPG has Boyd Red but can't confirm that either. If anybody has any answers, email me at: jimdavis@labridge.com

Attached Files:

2. krylon32

krylon32
    Alliance Vendor
    from Nebraska

olscrounger likes this.
  3. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

My understanding it was a custom mix, perhaps made with Dupont toners. To the best of my knowledge the custom formula was not available to the public. And considering that those toners may not even exist anymore because of EPA regulations. You will most likely need to have it color matched by a experienced paint matcher at one of your local paint suppliers. Larry

4. Slopok

Slopok

Charlie Hutton should know the formula.

lurker mick likes this.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN

Cromax is part of the DuPont line, it is now Axalta paint

6. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

If that has a 2 stage paint job on it, and I bet it does, you will be able to blend the basecoat, which will make matching the existing paint much easier. Applying color to entire panels is a different story. Let us know how you make out.

7. Oldioron

Oldioron

An Axalta paint jobber should be able to scan your paint and come up with a formula.

Fordor Ron likes this.
  8. Oldioron

Oldioron

An Axalta paint jobber should be able to scan your paint and come up with a formula.

9. If I ever had the formula, I think I'd rename it.

s55mercury66 and Texas Webb like this.
  10. This.

Any major paint supply house can scan a small part and get it almost perfect. A good painter can match it by eye as well.

11. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Boyd’s Red look in the PPG color chart for Resale Red . You’ll find it there !

loudbang likes this.