Register now to get rid of these ads!

Boyd passed away this morning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R&C Lee, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 067chevy

067chevy

How about that little T coupe he built during the show when he fired the fat kid. Saw that car in a magazine here awile back and really liked it. In my opinion was one of his better looking cars. can't find the magazine must of given it away

2. Dirty2

Dirty2

Prayers up for the family !!!

3. shock

shock

Peace out Boyd

4. Toqwik

Toqwik

Godspeed Boyd....Thanks for what you did for our hobby.

5. davidfe

davidfe
    from Illinois

Boyd's Garage - 1975
    Here is an older article. Enjoy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

have to say I agree with Paul...

7. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I think this is the Boyd that should be remembered, not the pre-fab drama one from the TV series.
    Godspeed Boyd

8. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Do you think his ceremony would be that soon? I'm thinking it would be next week- Most people will be in Indy for the hot rod trade show this weekend. I would hate to think all that respect the man wouldn't have a chance to pay their respects. He did change all of our lives- takes somebody pretty important to do that.

9. TopHat

TopHat
    from NC

Prayers out to his family, employees, and family. He was an icon of the hobby.

RIP Boyd

TopHat

10. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Very sad news, I'm shocked. He wasn't my my idol, but in the end we're all in it for the cars.

11. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

RIP....Didn't really dig his style but he was still a car guy and on that note we can all relate.

12. FantaC

FantaC
    from Australia

Condolences to his family

13. Paul

Paul
    Editor

if I may back up a little,

I certainly did not mean any disrespect to anybody,
    friend, family or follower.
    his legacy is renowned.

I guess a little street rod history lesson wouldn't hurt.

14. spock

spock

i think that just about nails it.
    R.I.P Mr.Coddington

15. He's now the legendary Boyd Coddington. Rest in Peace.

16. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

In the whole scope of it I am sad to see anyone pass on. He as well many of us had his good and bad points I can only believe.

In the end what he acomplished on this earth can be debated for years by us, but first and formost what he acomplished with his soul is of the most importance...............we are all dying from the time of conception, some sooner than others.

17. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

I would really like to see his early projects. we all know what his cars looked like in the recent decades but pictures like that above show how he used to do things, he just happened to change his styles with the times instead of staying the same.

18. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Very sad news.....prayer to his family.

19. IRCOOTER

IRCOOTER
    from Surrey

maybe you liked his stuff and maybe you didn't. you still have to respect what he did for the collector/car enthusist,rodder comunity many of us would not be doing what we are doing or inspired to pursue the lifestyle we are enjoying with out peaple like him.
    rest in peace boyd.

20. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

We get it! But no one is gonna pull your Rockabilly Union Card, repossess your 5-inch cuffs, or make you change the Black Prime and Red Wheels on your Valiant if you simply pay a respect for a man that brought hot rods to the general public. Look back at the pics and see that he did it in his garage after working a 9 to 5 all week and then made his own thing happen. Developing the whole smoothie movement is NOT that different to what the young guys of today are each trying to do with their unique takes on traditional rodding. A few of them will stand out from the crowd for one reason or another and become innovators exactly the same way.

If I had a nickel for every time a car gets posted that "not my style"- well, you get the idea.

21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

There is no story there... I built websites and created print ads for the Hot Rod Shop before they declared chapter 10.

22. I didn't post this thread to start any trouble,,,I honestly wanted to see some early hot rod history,,,,heck,I even like the T coupe he did on the TV show,,It was kinda traditional,,

[​IMG]

I was also under the impression he had built a nice T sedan,,,maybe back in the late seventys? HRP

23. Carguy365-24-7

Carguy365-24-7

24. Word, Jim.
    The thing you're putting together sounds like a nice tribute. I'd like to be there but unfortunately, I'm a right coaster.

25. Nomadness

Nomadness

26. metalman

metalman

Back in the 80's I sold the shop I had at the time, a custom paint shop that built a few street rods, bad case of burn out plus I hated the new "trend" of solid red cars, a trend that Boyd started. I didn't touch a car for severalyears till I happened to pick up a Hot Rod mag with Cadzilla on the cover. I was so wowed over that car I got back into the buisness. Now tell me of anyone that has influanced this hobby as much as Boyd has in the last 3 decades. I never really liked his style, both in the cars or personality but he had my respect for what he accomplished, not an easy task.

27. monsterflake

monsterflake

there are plenty of cars that boyd did that are relevant to the hamb, but my favorite is bob rothenburg's 33 willys, fully polished zl1, etIIIs and nice maroon paint. solidly traditional, i wish i had pics of it...

28. customcory

customcory

He use to have a nice T sedan, center door?, with Buick wires , black, nice resto rod back in the 70's. It was in Street Rodder, I would have to search for it.:D

29. Quite a shock, I enjoyed meeting him at Tulsa-Rama...

30. I knew Boyd personally. He has been the butt end of a lot of shit, from me included. But, in his defense, he could build stuff. A real talent. Seriously. His deal just took him in a different direction from what we like. I used to call him Floyd, and he retorted and called me New York Cocksucker. haha, ya got me. R.I.P.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.