Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Boy, am I gonna catch it for this...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Britton, Feb 19, 2011.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have one that I am thinking about going back to a automatic,it was automatic car that I converted to a 3 speed and have a 4 speed waiting to go in but when I got the new clutchset it had a diaphram presure plate instead of the 3 fingered one and is just way too stiff. I took a diaphram pressure plate out of a friends 64 galaxie and put a original type back in and its alot better so if I cant find a rebuilt or new original 3 fingered type pressure plate a automatic will be going back in.

2. I went for a rebuilt Saggie 4 speed in my pick up with a hurst shifter and loved it. My Son comes over with a pick-up with a 700r4 with a tidy shift kit in it. Boy , what a difference! lots of snap and overdrive to boot! I love a 4 speed
    but one less pedal wouldn`t hurt my feelings

3. I agree with Tman. Nothing wriong with an auto. Just build what you want and drive it the way you want.:)

4. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

You should put a v6 in with a automatic at least they go together!!!

5. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do what makes you happy.

If you throw an automagic in now, you get to drive it now. And then you can spend some time thinking about how to better engineer the stick. You either come up with a good solution and use it, or you'll be havin' so much fun driving your car you'll forget about the stick. Either way you come out ahead of where you are now.

6. Man, I just went the other way. Yanking out the Auto and dropping in a 5 speed. I have to many dollars into it now to ever go back. Bolting up a Stick to a Desoto Hemi isn't for the weak hearted when it comes to spending money!!! Ugh!!!!

7. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

:D :D

I fully understand and agree ...
    As a fellow long time 32 Ford owner ... I do not regret any of the time, money or effort I have spent on Deuces ...

I now have the 2 32 Fords I really want and IF I never build another project ...
    I have had a GREAT TIME ... :D

8. alex1954chevy

alex1954chevy

i always heard a saginaw 4 speed would be distroyed by a 454. is it ok to run a saginaw with a big block in a lite car like a roadster?

9. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

In a stock application, driven normally, it might hold up... I wouldn't want anything besides a Muncie (M-22) behind a big block.

10. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We had such hopes for you, now you embarrass the family.............Such hopes...........

C'mon man, don't give up!!! As Janis Joplin once told us, 'Try, just a little bit harder!'

Doc.

11. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I feel your pain but don't give up!! I went through pretty much the same thing, probably spent a week getting my pedals right, completely tore the shit all out and started over 2 different times. But for me it is just worth it to have 3 pedals. Not real sure I would put a Saggy behing a 454 tho, definitely should have an M-22 or better yet a Ford big shaft toploader or Chrysler 4 speed.

12. outlaw256

outlaw256

Depends on what your trying to do.and how your going to drive it. Old fashion kick in the ass, 4 speed. Runnin at the track, auto.ive run saginaws behind a couple race cars, blew one all over the track and one still holding up after 3 seasons.461 hp sbc and dumpin the clutch at high rpm.went thru 4 m22 and 1 t10.like the saginaw alot better. Geared just right for what i wanted to do.if you run a auto and like to shift run a manuel valve body.

13. I don't fault you one bit. Manuals can be fun, but an auto is just all around easier to put in and run.

14. cm30

cm30

I also had a hell of a time fitting a fourspeed behind a Nailhead in a channeled A roadster. I think i went trough 4 sets of pedals, but eventually got it were i could dive it . Even if it is a bit uncomfortable it's still cooler than a auto. Don't give up man, it will work!!

cm

15. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I love 4 speeds, but if it is an issue of comfort and reliability...go auto...
    Then get out and enjoy it!!!
    Cool either way in my opinion...
    Cheers.............