Register now to get rid of these ads!

Boxing frames

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VonMoldy, Feb 27, 2007.

1. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

is there some dos and donts out there for boxing frames? some website to lay it all out for me? I want to stiffen my 64 cutlass.

2. willys33

willys33
    from New Mexico

I use 1/8" and make SURE it fits before you weld. Don't grind off most of the weld, that's why it's gotta fit first. Skip around when welding to prevent heat build up and twisting the frame. Plan ahead and weld in nuts to the frame for body bolts, etc. Check the frame for square-ness when you are done and if necessary take it to a frame shop to get it straight with the world.

3. pitman

pitman

If you can begin by clamping the frame down in a "squared" orientation, then fit up the pieces, and tack. In welding I would alternate weld passes, so that they pull against each other (as in side-to-side) My first frame had a built in bow, where at age 16 I had welded the top edges of the box plates, and later laid in the bottom sides... Yep, everything was tacked first, but the heat distortion took over because I didn't realize how important it was to alternate weld pass locations.

4. rodrelic

rodrelic

I did one so far and like said, slow and check.
    I had my rails trying to curl in at the bottom on 2 different occasions. Easy to cut the tacks and anylize, then do the opposite.
    My key was to let the series of 3 or 4 tacks cool, then if squareness is correct, mark them. When my problem cropped up I knew what ones to slice and snap off with a chisel. Then weld opposite of the sliced ones first, then re-do them. Constantly check level (Sitting on jackstands and shims, don't need no jig), vertical, and pull diagonal. Piece of cake, especially if you have DC and don't have to keep flipping and re-shimming thge frame. I didn't so no overhead beads. Took 2 long days to finish, but didn't cost much and added to the skill library.