Register now to get rid of these ads!

Boxing a frame- what grade of steel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Darby, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Darby

Darby

Hopefully I get started on the new project next weekend- '39 Chevy with a Camaro subframe already installed. First order of business is to box in the splice where Camaro meets truck, and I'm curious if anybody knows what kind of steel Generous Motors used on either of these frames, figuring that I'll use something similar to make the boxing plates. Anybody got any ideas, or suggestions for what they've used in the past??? Thanks!

2. squirrel

squirrel

Plain old hot rolled mild steel will do fine. Try to keep the thickness close to original, 1/8" works good.

3. cold rolled will work fine 8-10 gauge.

4. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

I'd use cold rolled steel.

Henry used 11 gauge, I belive, which is just under 1/8".

--Matt

5. Assuming that a 39 frame is about the same as my 38 Chevy, I can say the Chevy frame is not at all like a Ford. The Chevy is an enclosed hat section shape, not a C-channel. Both the hat section and the bottom plate are not very thick, less than 1/8inch for sure. So your reinforcement plates you add should be closer to the thickness of the original frame. The Camaro sub is much thicker. Make you reind=forcement plates much longer to spread the load across a long area. The steel is just low carbon mild steel, so any mild steel is fine for you reinforcement. Hot rolled or cold rolled only difference is the surface finish.

6. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

avoid any cold rolled steel due to the fact that when you add any kind of heat to it , it will move all over the place hot rolled steel is lees likley to warp as bad.