Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Bowtie Overdrives TV Made EZ Problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959apache, Aug 22, 2015.

1. 1959apache

1959apache

So I decided to throw down on a Bowtie Overdrives TV Made EZ Kit for my 700R4/Edelbrock 1406. I came across this issue after discovering some other problems with the kit, this was by far the worst. Has anyone else come across any issues or similar issues? I am showing about 0.03 - 0.0625 of a gap and I don't have anything to shim that small of a gap. I have contacted Bowtie, but have not heard back and keep getting hung up on, which I am assuming is a mistake after being put on hold.

This kit was well over $160

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  2. squirrel

squirrel

huh...I probably have at least a dozen pieces of something laying around the shop that I could shim that with, and that doesn't count the boxes of small flat washers.

but I'd look at why it's loose, and fix the problem, instead of shimming it. Maybe if you take it apart, and post some pictures of what's going on, and a picture of the instructions, we could offer some suggestions?

Welcome to the wonderful world of half engineered products!

3. 1959apache

1959apache

Yeah I moved Squirrel so I no longer have my parts bin and can only grab stuff from the cookie cutter hardware stores.

It looks like Edelbrock is stamping for the linkage is a thinner material. The lasered Bowtie brackets are a lot thicker. I'll measure and post more pictures.

I was thinking of buying a set of feeler gauges and trimming up my own shims, but again for $160+ for the kit I shouldn't have to.

4. Mine is a little loose, but works just fine because the cable holds tension on it while the engine is running. Try driving and rattling it at the same time.

5. linechaser32

linechaser32
    from Iowa

Are you sure you have the little pins all lined up? Sometime they are a bit tricky.

6. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

My problem with the kit was the cable and cable housing holder didn't align up well so I cut the carb linkage in half, cut out enough material to align everything and welded it back together, now it works good.

7. 1959apache

1959apache

Mine now is pretty tight, just barely loose, not even noticeable. It looks like the plate designs were the issue.

Yeah I checked that, thanks for the input though.

So I started shimming with feeler gauges, created something out of aluminum foil and then measured my shim after I was finished. I called Bowtie and explained what was going on and they were pretty nice over the phone after I finally was able to get a hold of someone. They went ahead and sent both plates out for free no questions asked with new hardware that was physically checked before shipping (must be a common thing). I just installed them and it is way better than before without hardly any movement; I can only fit my smallest feeler gauge in there and that is good enough for me. With the TV cable attached it doesn't really move at all so all is well.

plumbid and squirrel like this.