Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bowling Shirt Embroidery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Older'n dirt, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Can someone tell me what kind of machine was used to do the embroidery on the back of Bowling Shirts? (I'm talking 50's & 60's era.) I've done minimal research but don't have a definitive answer. I've talked to a number of 'Embroidery Shops' but they all have the same response; "Send us a sample of what you want and we'll have it digitized." Sorry, not exactly what I'm looking for!

The few samples I have all appear to be done by hand. I'm imagining a design hand drawn on the fabric then fed through the machine by hand as well. No two pieces are exactly alike leading me to believe they were done as I described above. There are gaps in the coverage and the 'tails' and individual letters vary slightly (or drastically in some cases).

I've tried to duplicate some pieces on a couple of different machines using a cable stitch but it isn't even close. Am I looking for a walking foot machine? ANYONE?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  2. Reverborama

Reverborama
    from Minnesota

I've had some modern embroidery done and I can say that just because they use computerized machines doesn't make each vendor the same. I spent quite a bit of time with the guy who did our club jackets and worked on the pattern of the stitching so that it looked like the letters were made from tire treads.

That said, this company claims to do it the traditional way with cable stitching. I don't know anything about them but maybe they are worth a call for some information.
    http://oldschoolembroidery.moonfruit.com/

3. My wife does it all the time with her machine. She can scan a photo and digitize it or free hand draw then digitize or buy one of the many thousands of patterns on the internet. The machine I believe is a Bernina brand. I might be wrong there but she has several different machines for the many types of sewing she does. (She's actually a Quilter) It's not really Rocket Science but the machines and programs are a little spendy. To make 10 shirts and make them look hand sewn it would just mean going into the program and moving some of the pick up points. She does not do this comercialy, it's her home Hobby. She has however made a few bucks at it now and then. There is also a Free Hand machine that is used for final Quilting that you actually steer the Head while stiching.
    The Wizzard

Bob Lowry and Spooky like this.
  4. Terry O

Terry O

5. Pins&Needles

Pins&Needles
    from Santa Cruz

I know exactly what you are talking about. The old style embroidery was done on a loop stitch machine.... There are a few different types of these there are the original Cornelly type machines, and then there are the Singer 114W103 or 114k103 (the K or W is depends on where in the country these machines were made), but both are the same. These machines are a loop stitch/ chainstich type of machine. The main difference between these machines and new machines other than being manually operated is that they only use one single thread, where as the new machines use a thread bobbin combination. In using the single thread the needle comes down from the top, hooks the thread on the bottom, and then pulls it through the top again creating what looks like a chain of "c" 's on the top. In order to do fill work the operater makes a dense cirlce pattern over the design... this can be irregular, or very precise depending on the operator. You can also do a pile stitch with these machines which looks like the old letterman jacket patches, and has a loose chia pet look to it. These machines are opperated by a handle on the bottom that truns in circles guiding the needle on the top, but everything is reverse, you also have to be very good at operating the treadle speed or speed of the needle by foot. It is pretty much like flying a helicopter. I have a few of these machines but have yet to master the technique. Hope this answers your questions... I have spent way too many hours studying this, so I'm glad I can help clarify for someone else. Let me know if you need any more information, I'm glad to share anything I know. I have also heard that there is a fairly new automated machine that is computer run but does chainstitch embroidery exactly like the old style. I have a feeling that Kims Embroidery here in the bay area uses one of these on all the car club jacket here in the bay, because the highlights are identical on all the jackets... however they still charge manual prices... it is between $150 and $400 to get a jacket done, and that is after you buy the jacket! YIKES!

Spooky and gimpyshotrods like this.
  6. Spooky

Spooky

Waitasec here! I did not know that!! I have a few shirts and ideas for that old style chain stitching!

Pist-n-Broke and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

A revived 12 year old thread. But a good read.

lothiandon1940 and Spooky like this.
  8. The sewing world is a very strange place to go.

Bandit Billy and Spooky like this.
  9. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

My wife just purchased another Bernina set up for embroidery. She too is a quilter and I encourage her to buy what ever she wants so I don't have any guilt feelings when I buy car parts! I have a couple of denim shirts with a drawing of the roadster embroidered on the yoke.

10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Between me and my wife. We have 8 different types of sewing machines. No embroidery setups yet.

11. Spooky

Spooky