Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 Chevy Coupe Build.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Torkwrench, Jun 5, 2008.

1. logride

logride
    from CB IA

Great looking Chevy!

Keep us posted.

2. 1941coupe

1941coupe

nice old school build love the impala steering wheel

3. I missed this before. Looks great!

4. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

Sweet ride brother

5. Now that's an update!
    Very cool car.

6. Jalopyrama Mike

Jalopyrama Mike

Congrats, my first hot rod was a '34 Standard 3 wdw coupe that was hit in the rear left fender, quarter and lower rear panel. Back in the 70s it was hard to find especially since the antiquers didn't want to see anything to a hot rodder. Good luck looks pretty complete.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

Great update! Keep banging away, summer is coming.

8. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! NICE WORK...keep the updates coming...maybe quicker then 6 years apart. LOL Great work though,

9. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

YIKES.....It has been 6 years.....Unfortunately, it's been longer for my Cameo pickup, though.

I did pick up the wheels from the chrome shop, today. No photos, but they look really sharp. The fronts are reversed 55 Chevy, while the rears are 55 Chevy centers with new 15x7 hoops. Dropped them off to get the centers put back in the hoops, right after picking them up.

10. Ghost28

Ghost28

Nice plan for the car. I like that the thread came back up with the original poster now getting things done.

Jet96 likes this.
  11. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

scan0009.jpg scan0010.jpg scan0011.jpg scan0012.jpg scan0013.jpg scan0014.jpg scan0015.jpg scan0016.jpg

Here's a small update. The tires are all mounted, with a pair of Hurst cheater slicks for the rear. I'm still chasing down some air leaks in the front wheel / tires, though.

The photos of the wheels / tires, are still in my camera waiting for the rest of the roll of film to be used up and developed. So, instead of wheel pics, here are some taken when it was still in the calf barn, (before I bought it). Yeah.....It was a "barn find".....

12. Congratulations,those Chevy's make nice hot rods. HRP

13. One car looks like a rumble seat car and the other looks like a business coupe. Did someone switch the lid around?

14. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Someone did try to change it to a rumble seat when it was being worked on, in the mid / late 1950s. Basically the trunk lid was unbolted, turned around and set in place. A couple of small 1930's era bucket seats were installed in the trunk area. However, this was as far as the conversion got, before the owner lost interest and the car was stored, for the next 45+ years.

The friend of mine that pulled it out of the barn threw the buckets away, and bolted the trunk lid back on as it was originally. These are all photos of the same car. They are just posted out of order because I did not have the barn find pics when I first started this thread in 2008.

hipster and volvobrynk like this.
  15. I realize you've had it for six years, but I'm still jealous. Of all the 30's era Chevs, the '34 5-window is my favorite.
    You sir... suck! ;)

dearjose likes this.
  16. awesome car! love that era build.....
    nothing better than a '33-34 chevy coupe.

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Look forward to seeing more. Subscribed

18. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Cool

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Its good to see you're still working on it, those old Chebbies are cool! Back in the '80s a buddy of mine bought a '35 with a 'Vette 327 , 2 speed Slip and Slide and 'glass fenders. What a fun and fast ride it was!

20. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Something you early Chevy guys might think about is a product called Git Rot. It is used in the marine industry and basically it soaks down into rotted wood and encapsulates the rotten fibers with epoxy and restores the strength to the wood. Boaters use it to restore rotted wooden stringers in the hull. It is basically very thin epoxy resin so that it will soak way down into the wood before hardening. It has saved many boats that would have needed extensive repair work otherwise.

Just thought it might work for some of the compromised wood you Chevy guys find in your car bodies.

Don
    [​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Here's a very small update. The wheels and tires are done. The fronts are original 55 Chevy wheels that I had chromed and reversed. The rears are 55 Chevy centers with new rims. The cheaters are Hurst. The rear fenders still need to be radiused, though. The wheels have been done for about a year. Just took awhile to finish the roll of film and get it developed.

The air leaks in the front wheels are fixed, too. The front wheels were originally riveted. They were leaking air where the rivet holes were welded up. I finally painted these welds with Red Kote gas tank sealer. So far the leaks are sealed.

3.jpg 4.jpg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  22. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Nice 5 window Master. Nothing from a Standard will fit.

23. Very nice! :)

24. Nice Chevy man I had a 33 and a 34 3 window years ago, I myself like the 30 Chevy better then the 30 Fords. Nice touch with the Caddy and the Chrome wheels fits the style your after. I'll be watching the rest of your build, so good luck in finishing it up.

25. just sold my 34 chev 5 window this week to finance another project
    IMG_4600.JPG
    a 33 chev 3 window IMG_5148.JPG

falcongeorge likes this.
  26. VonKool13

VonKool13

That's a killer chubby I mean chevy...hahaha

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Theres something truly blasphemous about an FE in an early chevy coupe...:eek::D

28. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Well, a little bit has been done. The center section for the rear end is all put together. Bought a new 4:56 ring and pinion from Fab Craft. Also got new clutches, cross shafts and pinion gears for the posi unit. The posi was pretty chewed up from being drag raced, years ago. Not sure if it was actually in Arnie Beswick's 1961 Pontiac Super Stocker, but the guy that I bought the rear end from, owned that car for over 30 years.

Sorry for the pic quality....The lighting was poor, and my 65+ year old camera doesn't have a flash.

18.jpg

tb33anda3rd and falcongeorge like this.
  29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Gonna have some steak to back up the sizzle. Cool, that's how it should be, and rarely is these days...