Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bought a really bad project- so now what?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aggieforester, Aug 29, 2010.

1. AggieForester,
    I'm glad to see that you decided to tackle it. Its a pain I know and a damned shame that you had to do it, but you will be happy that you did it when you are done.

KUDOS my friend

2. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

Just think when your done you can be proud that YOU saved this car .Plus just think about the experience and knowledge that you got out of the deal.When you start driving it you will forget about the bad work you had to repair.

3. Dakota Kid

Dakota Kid

They make good hotrods!!!

4. warrick

warrick

thats looks like some stuff i seen around, not good at all. if frame in good shape and not to hacked up mustang II front end kit from place that builds them for that frame, and a ladder bar type rear with coilsovers, with cross member repair would be less costly at this time ,and make friends with a good welder.

5. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

x2 on props to you for handling it.

I wouldn't blame you for getting rid of that after seeing that chassis.

At least those welds looked so bad it probably wasn't too hard to remove that junk.

I hope you're suing the guy, maybe you'll never collect but i'd do it just because its right.

Sounds like you're off to an amazing start, I can't believe you've done so much so fast! Nice!

6. You have made excellent progress in a short time.

Keep updating as you go.

7. aggieforester

aggieforester
    from DC metro

Thanks, y'all! I'll have to take some pics, downsize and post them. I'll give you a call, Kevin, thanks!

8. koolkemp

koolkemp

Congrats on sticking with it ! Its gonna be a sweet ride when done I am looking forward to more(lots) pics :D

9. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Aggie if you use something like photobucket there is no need to resize, its really easy and free. Once you have the images up loaded, click on the "IMG" line under the pic and paste it in a thread, then you are done.

10. aggieforester

aggieforester
    from DC metro

Thanks, Panhead Pete, I'll have to give that a try. I have to run things through an air card or my crackberry, so it's a little slow. Took a couple pics (attached)- I'd better try that again during the day, they're a little dark. Like I was telling Sir Woosh, I've been working on the easy stuff- installing kits. Next comes the hard part- pulling the other engine and trans out of my donor, getting them to fit in the 34, shorty water pump and steering column and wiring, etc; more tailored stuff.....I'll have to buy plenty o' beer to entice MikeCo and some of the other locals to come over and help!

Attached Files:

11. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mate pulling the engine etc and fitting it isnt any harder then what you have done, especially if you but pre fab'd engine mounts etc.

12. aggieforester

aggieforester
    from DC metro

Yeah, it sounds simple. I'm trying to use all the existing hardware and aux off the engine/trans, move it as a block- which might be a little tough on clearances. I recessed the firewall 3 inches, so figure I can move the motor mounts (Chassis Engineering says 11.5" back on stock, so I figure I can push that back to 13"), tack them, put the engine and trans in place with the body on, see how it all clears, get a pro to weld them up....then worry about water pump and fan clearances. I've beat the hell out of my initial budget, so my darling wife has asked me to try to economize...and I'm figuring if re-using some of the existing hardware (tilt column in my S-10 donor, for example) will fit in easily or if I'm better off just getting an ididit tilt column. Trying to fit my 5'll" fat body into the same space as my 5'6 skinny teenager, so looking for seats and steering column, etc that are friendly. And an emergency brake and column or floor shift for the automatic, etc....some competition for limited space, it appears! That's why I keep reading what the rest of the HAMBers have done for similar issues, trying to get smarter.

13. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

Looks like you've brought it quite a ways. Good job man. Keep us posted.

14. Weasel

Weasel

On the latest release you can now click on the Photobucket thumbnail to enlarge your photo and simply drag and drop it into your post. This makes it much easier to post. Just be sure to specify 15" or 17" screen when you import the photos into Photobucket so they are not too large for your HAMB posts.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  15. 32Essex

32Essex
    from Texas

Wow ! You have been busy ! It's gonna look good when you get it finished, what the hell, they're never finished.

16. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Try not to look at things as being too hard before you get started, and never ask a doctor "is this going to hurt?"

I and many others have gone through the same thing and won in the end. You use caution which is more than the previous builder.

Position the engine where it needs to go first and cable the throttle to avoid the linkage demon. Mounts will go easier than you think. Fabbed mine with no experience. Checked by people I can trust.

Stealing a line from the movie "Waterboy", (you can do it!)

I'll even bet the S-10 column works................. Make that daughter proud!

17. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

just saw this post and didnt go all the way through it, skipped to the last page where i was surprised, first stuff i saw i felt super bad for you, but looks like your making it happen! good on ya! the stuff on the first page is definitly something that could kill ya, i cannot believe the nerve of some people to sell that kinda crap! otta be taken out behind the woodshed for that! but, i`m super stoker you`re pulling it together.....quality time with your daughter too, that ya can`t get back......hats off to you sir.....

18. hobbystock94

hobbystock94

Glad to see ya save it. Too nice of a car to have treated like it was. Swap meets can save a ton on little stuff. I'm sure a swap meet find on seats, shifter and etc. shouldn't be to bad. If you know what ya need ebay can be a great resource as well.

19. RDR

RDR

Built the Chevy with my youngest son in 1996-98...2 years intense project and almost got to hate it before all done....BUT it has paid me back 10 fold with fun cruisin and GREAT memories...as my son died in a house fire in 2001...RIP Tony...thanks for your help and our time together.....Randy (RDR)

aggieforester; You're on the right track...keep on keeping on, "a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step", and you've already covered many miles !

20. sorry about your misfortune.. just my two cents but every so often I see rolling chassis on eBay. Might be cheaper than a new one and or give you or your shop a cleaner less involved chassis to start from than your existing one.
    I hope this doesn't kill your passion for the hobby. What comes around goes around, hopefully the creep that did this will get his someday.

21. Don't hesitate to ask.

22. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

i think you can be out in seven years .

23. big bad john

big bad john

.........You know that hotrods take a long time to build........so made sure you take time to enjoy.........one step at a time........keep hanging in there......

24. I recessed the firewall 3 inches, so figure I can move the motor mounts (Chassis Engineering says 11.5" back on stock, so I figure I can push that back to 13"), tack them, put the engine and trans in place with the body on, see how it all clears, get a pro to weld them up....then worry about water pump and fan clearances

I would tack the mounts in, then make sure everything else fits, as in steering box, linkage, radiator hoses etc. A lot of times, 1/2 inch one or another makes a big difference.

25. oj

oj

You're doing a fine job, give me a shout if you need a hand.

26. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

Damn good progress, glad you decided to keep it and fix it. It's definitely looking much happier now, that's for sure.

27. Griznant

Griznant

You are hauling some serious ass on this! Nice work!

I'm still dumbfounded when I look at the original pics. I know this stuff exists because I've seen my fair share, but it never ceases to amaze me how people can rig shit up and think it's "good 'nuff".

28. RacerRick

RacerRick

That is going to be a real nice car. I don't think you can go wrong with how your are doing it.

29. aggieforester

aggieforester
    from DC metro

Oops, lost the first reply.

Thanks for the info and cheer, everyone.

JustGary, beer and steaks are on me when I ask you and MikeCo out for a tech assist visit!

30. Have not checked this thread in a while. I must say that thing is headed in a much better direction now. Glad to see you decided to ditch the other drivetrain. Can't wait to see you get it put back together and get her in it.