Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bought a 49 shoebox now where to get parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Retro Jim, May 31, 2010.

1. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I am getting ready to buy a 1949 Ford 2 door . I have been wanting one since I was a small boy and finally I am getting one ! Isn't the best condition but not as bad as most I have seen for the price I am paying . Yes there is rust but nothing too bad . The sheet metal under the sill plate at both doors , rockers , part that the floor where the toe board that comes together and the inside at the rear of the trunk will need about 3" wide replaced , the bottom of the front fenders and that is the bad parts . the Small spots here and there . All the glass is good and even comes with a spare rear windshield . Has a spare set of 1950 fenders too . The interior will needs redone but not going stock so that leaves a lot of room to have fun with . Does have the front and rear seat frames . I am going to use the car as a driver . The dash is good too . Was last on the road in 1991 . Once I get the car home I will take all the parts out of the car and take inventory to see what I will need .
    I need to know where to get parts I need or can't make ? That way I will know where to get them or a good place for the information I will need to get the car done and running .
    I will post some pictures when the car come to it's new home !

Thanks to all and have a great Memorial Day and remember why we have this day ! Thanks to all the men and women that have fought and still fighting for our FREEDOM !

Retro Jim

2. indyjps

indyjps

3. I have a trunk lid, radiator,oil bath air cleaner,magic air heater,some door handles and some other parts. Send me a message if you need any of those parts and I'll send you a price.

4. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

5. I also got some long fiberglass fender skirts.

6. 76ironhead

76ironhead

You can also try Dennis Carpenter

7. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Thanks , I will try Shoeboxford for sure . I need to get the car home to take inventory first . The guy has a lot of parts all stuck into the car and trunk . I am sure there will be some I will not need and will trade off or sell . I don't know if the side trim is there or not . He has all the holes plugged/welded up so who knows . I like the side trim on the 49 but I will see if the trim is there or not .
    Also is there any other steering boxes that can be used on the 49 without messing the front end up ? I will be driving the car so it needs to be right. Will be dropping in a 289 or 302 in it . Will change the rear because this one it a 4.10 . I think the early Mustang & Maverick rears fit fine .
    I am building on little funds so I really need what makes it safe first ! Being on disability and building a car is not the easiest thing to do . I also have a 55 Ford that I drive as I build too .

Retro Jim

8. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Mac's Auto Parts, Lockport, New York
    Dennis Carpenter
    Joblot Automotive, Queens, New York
    Kanter Auto Parts, Boonton, New Jersey

9. Shoeboxford.com is the best place for : advice ,parts, swap help ,and personal assistance on all matters

TRUST ME - i have had a ton of help from Chris --he is the best!

10. rickkane

rickkane

I'm on my second 49 shoebox. I couldn't have done either one without Shoeboxford.com. Chris is a huge help. He can talk you thru the 302 swap too.

11. RPaciotti

RPaciotti

Volvo 140 steering box works great (so I hear) with a bracket from Fatman Fab. Hard to find and a little pricey I assume.

12. Chris @Shoebox is good people,Dennis Carpenter is good to...