Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bought a 1949 Hudson tonight.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raidmagic, Oct 2, 2012.

1. raidmagic

raidmagic

I have a 60 Biscayne but it's way more of a project than I believe I can do so I'm selling it and I bought this tonight. It is about a 20 year old restoration and It has the 308 6 cylinder in it with dual carbs. It runs good but needs the carbs gone through. They leak. The body is perfect I couldn't find any rust in it other than a few bad repairs on the front floors but they will be ok for awhile.
    I would like ideas on how to put seatbelts in it as I bought this as a cruiser for the family and I will need to belt the kids in there.
    It will need tires but otherwise it is ready to go. Later when I recover from the purchase I will redo the paint and body but that's even pretty good for now. I put a deposit on it tonight and am picking it up after work tomorrow. On to the pics or it didn't happen, right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 56FRLN

56FRLN

Very nice. Congrats.

3. 562roadster

562roadster

Great looking car with nice lines.

4. draider

draider
    from Texas

That thing looks good! Got plans for it?

5. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

very nice,,,i really like the color combination too

6. Bill in Al

Bill in Al

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

7. raidmagic

raidmagic

Right now the plans are to get it running perfect and put tires on it then drive the heck out of it. For to long I have had projects and have spent too many nights in the garage and none on the road. I sold my t bucket and am selling the other project so for awhile I hope to just drive and do maintenance. Then I'll redo the interior and later update the paint but I'm thinking I'll keep the color combo.

8. Beautiful car, though if I had it I'd have to letter it with the number 92, "Driver: Herb Thomas" above the doors and "Fabulous Hudson Hornet" down the sides. Ol' Herb and the Flock brothers (Bob, Tim, and Fonty) ruled the NASCAR tracks back in the day.

9. PackardV8

PackardV8

It ain't broke, so don't go fixin' it. Just change the oil and filter, put good tires on 'er, flush the brake system and cooling system, put in a new fuel filter and have fun.

FWIW, back in the day, aftermarket seat belt kits just came with 1/2" NF eye bolts or hex head bolts and a bent bracket and 2" heavy duty washers. Just position the belts where people are going to sit, drill the holes, run up everything tight and have fun.

jack vines

10. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Nice! All I would do is put new wide whites all around and get rid of the Visor....

11. Dig those step downs.....two door couple you got it all. Seat belt are a very easy install nothing fancy there I install them in my 54 Hornet ....Enjoy there a great drivers .....

12. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

That looks like a nice piece of Hudson right there. You done good. Enjoy and put a lot of miles on it.

13. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

How bad do those carbs leak?-and where? Ordinary leakage is usually nothing but gaskets and if they're only seeping it's no big deal If the gas is running out around the throttle shafts, that's not a leak-that's too high a float level (there shouldn't be any liquid fuel at the throttle shafts). Other than that, my recommendation is: Rub on it and drive it-hard.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  14. Mercchev

Mercchev

I bought some OEM type seat belts for my 56 Chevy when my kids were young from these guys: http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/ They may be able to help. Cool car!

15. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Very cool! Congrats!

16. I love those old Hudsons! The paint scheme totally works, and she looks great. Tune her up and drive the snot out of her!

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's a cool cruiser.

18. Congrats , what a badass car,thing looks real nice.I love these cars and if it were mine the visor would come off and thats about it.Enjoy your fabulous Hudson.

19. diamond jeff

diamond jeff
    from montana

How cool are you? Nice find, dad was a Hudson man. Mitt Romneys' father George Romney, Ed Barit and, George Mason formed American Motors from Nash and Hudson on April 22, 1954. After that the new "Hash" only saw production through 1957. You have a true Hudson automobile, enjoy.:)

20. RH2795

RH2795

Great lines and color combo. Congrats and enjoy.

21. Tobey56

Tobey56

Wow cool car! Congrats Man.

22. 51hornetdude

51hornetdude
    from denver

Fantastic looking Hudson.

23. Get some new tires, flush fluids, check the brakes and invest in a heavy duty pry bar to get the smile off of your face when it starts to cramp your cheeks! :D

...Awesome car, enjoy!!!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

24. raidmagic

raidmagic

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I couldn't sleep last night now I have to get through the day here at work so I can go get it.

25. You must be a very happy man.... One of the best looking cars ever built!

26. 73super

73super

One of my favorite cars of all time. Look chopped from the factory. Nice, nice ride.. clean it up and enjoy the hell out of it.. awesome!

27. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

28. Ramblur

Ramblur

Nice,and just down the road too. Your going to love your Hudson,its a great road car and 308 Twin-H is icing on the cake. I'm 7 years into my
    49 308 sedan. Does it have OD? Daytona Parts http://daytonaparts.com/
    has carb kits or can restore yours. Hope to have the motor back in mine soon...

29. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

check with Julianos for seat belts hard ware and mounting how too's.