Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bought 40 Ford cpe w/Desoto hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hamtown Al, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Well, fellas, I finally got the time and figured out how to finish bolting my 5 spd trans to the chassis in my cpe. So far, it came out as I hoped it would with clearance all around, including the wishbone which was not modified or relocated in any manner.
    A 5 spd CAN be put in a 35-40 chassis without splitting the wishbone. Anybody want to buy a now leftover CE kit for splitting the wishbones?!? Seriously, I'll probably use at least part of the CE kit to ensure the chassis strength is maintained.
    The is more finish work to be done but its going to work. Tired Al

2. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Back out in the shop and took mocked up trans setup out again... it ain't getting easier! While doing some backward engineering to ensure everything fits, I came across two more opportunites: 1. The pilot bearing adapter from hot hemi is just a wee bit too large for the hole in the crank... a 7/8" shaft fits right in the hole but the 15/16" pilot bearing won't go... will have to run down my pal with the machine shop to bail me out.. again! 2. The overall length of the trans with pilot bearing adapter is about 1/4 to 3/8 too long. Will have to shorten the end of the trans shaft a bit. I feel good about doing that because the shiney used portion of the trans shaft has about 1/2" of shiney portion still showing when I put the adapter on the end. I think I'm going to try to shorten the shaft about 5/16"... maybe 3/8" to allow more of a margin of error. Gary at cornhuskers said the plan seemed reasonable. Time will tell. Now to go whack on my jim-dandy 40,000 1987 S10 5 spd trans!
    Merry 2nd day after Christmas! Al

3. bardahl1

bardahl1

Rad

4. I could not have resisted either. Great!

5. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Opportunity number 2 fixed (I hope!) when I shortened the trans shaft 3/8"... as best I can figure! My machine shop pal offered to come by and help solve opportunity number 1 which is to rework the hot hemi pilot bearing adapter to fit my Desoto crank. I hope tomorrow... excuse me, later today is a good day for fitting things up! I'll keep ya posted (pun intended!). Al

6. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Well, the new 5 spd is IN the car and hooked to the hemi. LOOKS like it clears the wishbone, steering box, and front crossmember. Clutch seems to work but can't check completly until get car rewired enough to start it.
    Measured for driveshaft and took 2 old shafts to driveshaft magician to fix it up.
    More later.
    Big THANKS to the Shadow for helping me make it happen.

Happy Al

7. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Fantastic hotrod....love it.

8. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Update: driveshaft installed, brake lines run to new open rearend. New gas lines purchased and installed from new poly tank to the new 318 fuel pump adapted to the 291 Desoto. Still need to find new spot for battery that was removed from firewall and run some wires including a battery disconnect.... don't cut safety corners. Also need to bleed the new brake setup to see what I've got.
    Tired Al

9. koth

koth

This is a great project! Covering a lot of territory with this car. Thanks for sharing it, I'm learning a lot.

10. farmer12

farmer12

Love what you're doing, but do you have any more pics? I'm trying to visualize all your hard work at moment......

11. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Update: Brake bleed... no leaks! Must have missed something! Anyway, I'll take it for now. New 1/4" plate brace made by my heavy metal fab magician to reenforce the rear of the orig x member "box"... a 7X3 plate bolted just under rear of trans... should stiffen the chassis a bit more. Also in the process of adding the normal CE top plate to chassis but looks like will need about 1/4" spacer to clear trans.. might make it 3/8"... I'll have to consult with my heavy metal fab magician.
    Decided to locate battery behind seat on driver side. mounted batt box and ran ground wire from batt to back of head on engine. Need to locate batt disconnect sw but a bit tricky as seat not in at present. I'll figure it out. It was a real trick to mount the ground cable to bolt on back of head on driver's side... I got lucky!
    It's coming but baby it's cold outside! Want to start it sometime this week. What do y'all think of replacing the orig dash with an old chrome dash that I have... complete with patina! Some dummy cut just a little out of the dash just above the instrument panel but I think I can make it look reasonably passable. I'm thinking a chrome dash will add more to the mystique. More later, Tired Al

12. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

BAttery cables are complete along with disconnect switch and wiring was revamped such that I could turn the engine over with it in neutral and no unusual noises! Next step will be to install reenforcement plate for top of orig x member. I've removed the rivits on one side but getting to the other side is a bit more tricky but I'll get there. Working Al

13. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

The rivits are gone on both sides and my heavy fabrication magician made me two spacers for each side of the frame out of 1/4" flatbar with each being 2" wide and 9 inches long. He punched the three holes that line up with the top of the chassis and fit the CE top bracket. Hope to get it installed tomorrow. The spaces give added clearance to the rear of the trans. I made two spacers for each side but may need only one. Slow working Al

14. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

DSC01400.jpg DSC01403.jpg DSC01395.jpg DSC01396.jpg DSC01397.jpg DSC01398.jpg DSC01392.jpg Well, the trans installation is complete except for opening up the x member on driver side to insert speedometer gear and housing. I used both spacers on each side on the top of the chassis to space the CE top plate up to clear the trans. See 1st two pics.
    The next 2 pics show the 1/4" plate adaptor to move the trans mount back about 1 1/2". The next 2 show the CE plate with spacers underneath and on top of chassis. The next pic shows plate added to back of x member to prevent flex.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  15. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

DSC01394.jpg DSC01399.jpg These pics show the clearance between the 5 spd and the stock wishbone and stock mount and the stock clutch hookup.

Any questions?

That's how I did it.

Happy Al

16. Looks great Al! Let's see pics of the chromed dash.

17. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

It runs again! No leaks in new gas tank and gas line... always a good thing! Couldn't drive it but did test that clutch works and it will move in both directions! Got a sometimes ticking in neutral but disappears if touch the clutch... a bit of adjustment and I hope it's gone. It's gotta get warmer before it goes far!
    Now begins the real rewiring project including a decision on the dash. I'll keep ya posted when I have more progress to report.
    Thanks for the continued interest.
    Al

18. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

ChromeDash1.jpg ChromeDash2.jpg The old chromed dash cleaned up pretty good. I think it will brighten up the inside of the old coupe. What do y'all think?

19. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

This coupe is awsome, The dash is killer.

20. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Al...I'm loving this coupe, along with all the work and thinking you've put into it. Likewise the " '36" pick-up in your avatar. But what do you do for fun and relaxation? DD

21. gsp392

gsp392

Nothing better than an old Ford with a Hemi.

22. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

Love the chrome dash. The rest of the progress is looking pretty good, too.

23. Dang that dash looks sweet! Can't wait to drop by and see it in person.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using TJJ

24. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Well, it moved under its own power for the first time today. I backed it off the lift and out of the detached garage and later drove it into the shop attached to the house---its warmer! Still has a few issues but it did OK after we managed to keep it running and get it to warm up... lack of a choke was QUITE noticable! A buddy and judicious use of starting fluid and elec fuel pump got the job done.
    Forward and backward with a 5 spd! Now for the MANY additional items to accomplish.

25. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

Great project! I just found a 354 for my 40 and am starting to explore my options. Where did you get the adaptor to put the 5 speed on the hemi? Thanks Ryan.

26. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

The car came with an adaptor from Desoto engine to 39 Ford trans which was in it. I bought kit from Cornhuskers, including clutch. I used my pressure plate that was already in the car. I got the pilot bearing from hemihotheads but had to get a machinist to "tweak" it to fit. Also had to shorten front of trans shaft by about 3/8 inch. Review this whole thread for more details and pics. Let me know if can be of further help. Good luck, Al

27. 55chevr

55chevr

I got a Lincoln Versaille 9" rear at a local junk yard for my 40 Ford ... the perches line up with the CE parallel leaf springs ... easy installation.

28. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Time standing still !!
    Slick......great find.

29. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Kick ass find ... great updates & the added bonus is the hemi under the hood. I'm diggn' the 5 speed upgrade along with the stronger rear. To bad the paint couldn't be saved. What ya gonna do ...

Enjoy & I'm scribed.

PACO

30. ...just saw this, NOS...neat old stuff.