Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bot top: is this a joke?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adventurer, Oct 10, 2011.

1. adventurer

adventurer

Some time ago, I bought a new Bot top from Sid Chavers for use on my 32 roadster. Cai is very traditional looking, so was thinking it was a nice addition to my car. It arrived and mounted very nicely, all very high quality. Went to my first meet with the car, and as often happens in september was caught in a downpour. My real suprise was water entering form the stitches on my new Bot top, exactly on my shoulders!
    So sent a mail to Sid "
    Hello Sid
    greetings from Italy
    some time ago i purchased a new top on ebay by one of your supplier. The top is very nice, but was caught in a downpur, and a lot of water entered from the stitching on the rear roof rail. Is the top waterproofed or is jsut for nice weather? What can use for waterproofing? "

Here is the answer: "The top material is water proof, but the seams will leak. You can put some silicone seal on the seams if you wish"

Am I expecting too much from a 3000$ top, or is there something wrong? To me, a top should protect me from the water, both with the material and the stitches.

What is the general opinion on this matter? WHat have yu guys used to waterproof the stitches?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gasser 57 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Well over here we would have to arrest you for "solicitation" because you just shelled out cash and got a good screwin. :eek:

I would avoid silicone as it will lump up. Tell you what we used to do on wet suit zippers to protect them from the lelements was rub them down with bees wax. In a fit of insanity I tried it on the seams of an old military pup tent and it worked real well for quite awhile. maybe try that before the silicone.

alanp561 likes this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

I would think it would be water proof too. Should be IMO. Another option might some sort of aerosol water repellant like they use for leather jackets? Not sure...

5. Sounds like you got hosed,,3 grand,,ouch!:eek: HRP

gnichols likes this.
  6. cederholm

cederholm

For silicone they might mean the water proofing stuff you use on shoes. When I've used it (on shoes) it works well and doesn't alter the color of the material. I think my camping tent (cheap) also mentions to spray the seams with it. ....but it didn't cost $3,000.

~ Carl

7. Muttley

Muttley

Get a few cans of Kiwi Camp Dry. I used this stuff on my old work boots, it lasted for years and I never had wet feet even when working all Winter long in the rain.

[​IMG]

8. belle

belle

yeah , those Bot Tops are junk. you should have gotten a Bop Top

seriously on my car the water leaks in from everywhere when it rains hard

9. adventurer

adventurer

Ok , thank you for the replies. I was thinking about this sort of stuff...but was not sure it would work.
    Really unbelievable the idea that a top is NOT waterproof....

10. adventurer

adventurer

hahaha....you are right...Bop Top....my mistake

11. Special Ed

Special Ed

NOTHING is waterproof. Water resistant and/or water repellent, but NOT waterproof. Spray it with "Fabric Protector", as has been previosly mentioned....:)

12. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

It sure looks nice!! It doesnt look like the rest of the car is sealed water tite either? when they advertise "water proof" or "water resistant" it means water wont hurt it. No one will ever advertise 100% water tite with a no-leak guarantee.

13. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I would be pissed to.........................
    If they can make factory water tight stiching back in the '20z to present I would think Bop Top should be able to in 2011. After all isn't that all they do?

14. Oh I dunno, I put a new top on a Plymouth Convertable in the '90s for a lady I worked with. It leaked I took it off took it back where I got it and they replaced it with one that didn't. I had to eat my time but they supplied a top that didn't leak.

I got a friend that converted an old plymouth coupe tio a convertable with top bows from whatever, he had to have custom top made to cover it done by a local upholsterer. The guy garenteed that it wouldn't leak and it didn't leak for the 7 or 8 years that my friend drove it. We get some serious rain here.

Here is the deal just because someone else uses it doesn't make it quality. No offense to Mr Chavers intended. Not everything that I make is perfect either.

15. Algon

Algon

How is this thing sewn? Are the seams not lapped or sealed?

16. I had a friend of mine in the 60s whose dad owned a canvas repair business and did alot of boat covers and tops for marine use. I remember when we used to hold the pieces of canvas while he sewed them and he ALWAYS put bees wax between the seams before sewing. I would give that a try. If the seam is double stiched you can take one stichline apart and peel it back and lay some wax in to seal it and then have it resewn. Pain in the ass but it should work. I know for a fact that his boat covers did not leak a drop. I remember him telling customers that his covers were tight as a frogs ass ( water tight ). And they were!!

17. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Sounds like you got a sun shade rather than a true roadster top. I guess this is evidence of the intended use for most street rods. :(

Waxing the stitches sounds like the best idea so far. Good luck with it.

-Dave

18. oj

oj

I use a 3m spray fabric water proofing stuff on my boat and foul weather gear, works good and my foul weather gear is about 30yrs old. Weather tite, no cracks etc on the typical wrinkle areas, reliable. I have no idea how often i should apply it and probably should coat it every year but i am sure i've missed a year or two. The boat carpet etc looks new and it has been 15? years since new and that gets coating at the end of each year.

alanp561 likes this.
  19. Bobby Peru

Bobby Peru
    from Australia

Hi
    If you go to a good quality camping store you should be able to buy tape and seam sealer which is used to seal all of the seams on tents.
    Hope that helps
    Bob

20. This stuff works real good. There also something like it that I've used on hats to repel sweat stains.

38bill likes this.
  21. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I use a product called Sno Seal http://www.atsko.com/products/waterproofing/sno-seal.html works great...

22. Heo2

Heo2

Mercedes top dressing works god

23. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

3 grand to get pissed on by mother nature and the top company? that blows

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  24. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Canvas is cotton impregnated with bees wax.

Ago

alanp561 likes this.
  25. RichG

RichG

I've used that stuff since I was a kid on just about everything, it will darken light tan leather, but not terribly so. Reapplying it after a couple of weeks will build a better seal with it also.

26. Those tops are way too pricey! They made from gold? Bend over and grab your ankles!

I was lucky and picked up a used LB reproduction top for $700, chopped it down about 3" and had it covered with normal top fabric at our local shop. Used the old fabric for a pattern - it was rotten anyway. Fits our roadster and looks great I think.

My original plan was to build the frame and have it covered. How hard could it be??

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  27. TubularGoose

TubularGoose

So just to be clear I havn't heard any body reply that bop top makes a good product and that maybe you just got a bad one.....? is this because they don't make a good product?
    Just curious for future refrence.

28. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was building my old A RPU I was building my own top for it. One of the bonuses of being posted to the Parachute School and being mates with the Parachute Riggers, access to the greatest imaginable fabric fabrication shop!!
    But, anyway, to get to the point, finally, because no one like a person that just rambles on, and on, and on, that just gets annoying after a while.............Oh! Look, a butterfly...............
    So, back to the story.
    I was making the top and it struck me that this canvas was not water proof. So I asked what I should use to stop the rain from seeping through, the answer from professional Riggers?
    'Just drive faster than the rain'.
    Great.

I ended up using a Military version of the 'Kiwi Dry' and 'Bees Wax' rubbed along the stitching to waterproof the top.
    I sold the car before I had a chance to use the top but this was done in 2002 and I am told it still has not leaked!

Doc.

(Yeah I'm board, aren't you kinda sorry you read all of that now?)

29. brad chevy

brad chevy

Tops have been being made for a long time,even in the 50s convertible tops didn't leak at the seams,' Bottom line is this Bop Top company makes an inferior product and definitely is overpriced . Maybe the next sucker looking to buy from them will see this thread and the company will fix your bad deal. $3000 for a leaking top,thats just ripoff business practices.

30. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Its a roadster....Ya know what happened when it rain when I drove my roadster? I got wet.