Register now to get rid of these ads!

Boston Ma area - Street Racing in 60's remember this car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BOSTONCAMARO, May 3, 2012.

1. zoomma

zoomma

It was the Braintree twin drive-in.
    And tedeschi's was on Liberty St. in Braintree.
    There is a Stop+Shop plaza there now.
    And yes John Sr. was there with his 35.

2. Here are some pics:

801 Main Street

Garages at the end of Edmund Street - drive to end of Edmund St then take left, they are right there, loom very old, anyone build cars in there? then on street that runs parallel to Edmund St is Clinton, old garages there too that I took pic of.

Marsh Road in Lynn, the turn around and take off spot, there was tons of fresh rubber on the road when I went there Sunday.

Attached Files:

3. These are at end of Edmund St.

Attached Files:

4. Church Key

Church Key

Boston Camaro, Thank for the pictures from the old neighborhood. I see 801 Main St garages are still there and looks like they acually use them. The store across the street at the corner of Main and Edmund is where the Edmund St garages where located, they were torn down around 1975. The brick garages at the end of Edmund were a moving company when I was kid and there was no car activety there. The garages on Clinton St. were owned by Mr. Dooley, he would NEVER rent to any hot rodders.

5. Gasoline , very sadly my friend, is only sold in Metric in Canada. A dumb mistake thast serves no one except to blind the Canadians how badly we are being pipped off by the callon.

6. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] Here is 801 Main St. Malden, in 1962. These garages hold quite a bit of history. In the fifties Earle Carter was building one of New England's first T buckets in these garages. In 1962 the Strokers Car Club was formed up there, and lasted till 1977 at a different location. They were one of thirteen clubs that made up the New England Hot Rod Council. The Strokers of Malden are not to be confused with the club the North Shore Strokers Club that is around today. In the late sixties Richie Willet had his garage there, he built his orange tub here. The seeds to a new club were formed here the Boston Area Roadsters, as several of the charter members were from Malden.

7. Goddamn that Mr Dooley!

"Im not dealing with your types around here, the goddam loud exhausts you ruffians have in them there cars!" Mr. Dooley

well imagine he said something like that

8. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] A look inside the Strokers garage in 1962. I am not certain but, I think that is Lonnie Joyce's first effort a 32 Ford Roadster. In 1965 he built a T Bucket that he still has today.

9. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] Warren Jepson's shortened 34 Tub.

10. lets see more Boston area pics

11. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] Here is my good friend Joe Scribner standing in front of Lonnie Joyce's roadster. The car is parked at Earle's Atlantic Station on Main St. Malden, near the corner of Winter St. The site is now a bank building. These wonderful picture I have been posting were from Joe's collection that he gave to me in 2003 shorty before he passed away.

12. Church Key

Church Key

BC, Do you have more of those car show photos you posted a few weeks ago?

13. OK some of these I've posted before but I think they've dropped out so we'll put them up again.Have to do more than one post.

First up is Don Burley's 32 Ford roadster w/the Indy style nose.Car also had an adjustable front spring perch to set the ride height.This pic was taken at Sears in Saugus in the early 1970's.
    Next is a Model A coupe turned into a roadster with a 348 Chevy engine.Not sure who owned it.Pic was taken at Salem Willows at the infamous softball game between the Boston Area Roadsters and the Mass Street Rod Association in 1974. Don't recall who won but I know it got very drunk out afterward.
    Next is a 32 Ford sedan that I believe was owned by Reggie Bolivar.The roadster next to it is Harvey Richardson's that had a blown 462 cu.in.Olds in it.Harvey was part of the Sidebotham-Richardson-Creehan AA/GD team.
    Next is Brooks Cramner's 32 Ford cabriolet with Al(?)'s the Ugly Truckling. Al used to work the elevators at the Prudential Center and would sometimes smuggle us into the car show there.That pic may have been taken at New England Dragway.
    Next is my Mini Cooper estate with Charlie Burrow's 36 3 window;one of the first cars I ever saw with a Corvair front suspension.(he still owns it).His son Chris' 29 A coupe turned roadster is in back,Chris started that when he was 14 and still owns it.Pic taken at Charlie's house in Reading around 1990.
    Next is Christy Massios' 34 Ford sedan.Christy built many a car(and still does).He is retired now and lives in Maine now and has a red 40 Ford pickup.I think he still does a Saturday night oldies show on computer.Next to his car is Fran Olson's wild T pickup with a Hilborn injected 392 Chrysler in it that he actually drove on the street.Note the headers actually run INSIDE the frame rails! Even drove it to the Street Rod Nationals in Peoria with no top and slicks and got caught in a horrendous rainstorm.Last I heard he had a Deuce roadster with a Lamborghini V-12 in it.Fran ALWAYS thought outside the box.
    Last one for this group is Dan Puccio's 29 Model A roadster pickup with the 483 cu.in. late model Hemi in it.Saw that car pull the front wheels for almost a hundred feet one day.An overused word:AWESOME!
    Stay tuned for the next batch.

Attached Files:

14. i think my dad has more........wonder if related to Scribner who owns related to people own Hollands junkyard in billerica

15. Pete

Pete

Wow, great photo's! BUT....I really need to see a photo of Richie Willette when he was a young punk.....please find one and post it.

16. Page 2:
    A nice Deuce 3 window sporting a Boston Area Roadsters plaque.This was taken at the Willows softball game in 74.I think they had relaxed the restrictions on Roadsters Only in the club by then.
    Next is my cousin Dick Manley's 32 Ford roadster built by Norm Wallace and currently owned by Larry Hook.Next to it is Sonny Venuti's 35 Ford coupe.Taken at the Topsfield car show.Not sure what year but around 70 or 71 because after that the blower was added.
    Next is Don Cavanaugh's 34 Ford sedan.I think he painted it the Cadillac Firemist Green that was left over from his Hemi powered T roadster.Taken in 1974.
    Next is Fred Steele's 32 Ford roadster(the yellow one)built in the early 1960's.Had Buick wire wheels laced to Ford centers.Taken at New England Dragway in the early 1970's.
    Next is Hoop's 40 Ford moredoor taken at the Willows in 74.
    Next is John Pearson's 35 Ford sedan taken(I think) at the Willows also.Always loved the color combo on this car and the striping.I think John Hartnett did the stripes.
    Last is John Watson's 32 Ford sedan taken around 1969 in Sears parking lot.I striped it in Ivory IIRC.It was later painted yellow and I striped it in black.It is still yellow to this day although I don't think John owns it anymore.
    This concludes part 2

Attached Files:

17. Part 3:
    1)Ken Frederick's Model A coupe with a Latham blown 427 Chevy motor.Pic taken at the Twin Drive-In show in 71 or so.
    2)One of Mike Ballistero's many 34 Ford roadsters circa 1970. He eventually built a Ridler winning 34.
    3)Paul Donahue's 53 Triumph Mayflower with a very hot 327 Chevy in it.Car was scary to drive;didn't like to go straight.Paul eventually got into dragsters.
    4)Paul Protz's Model A Ford with 392 Chrysler.I first saw this car around 1959 and I believe it is still around painted black with a blower added to the Chrysler.
    5)Phil Carleton's beautiful 34 Ford phaeton at the Willows in 1974.
    6)Sonny Pasternak's 34 Ford sedan made into a roadster;Olds powered and a 76 inch wheelbase.Car was later lengthened with a custom tube frame and named the Praying Mantis due to it's hand made bodywork and green paint.Sonny was 13 or 14 when he started building it.He still does body work at his shop in Hamilton MA.
    7)Ted Wingate's beautiful Deuce roadster at New England Dragway .
    End of part 3

Attached Files:

18. Last page:
    1)A 34 Ford Victoria with a tilt nose(owner unknown)taken at the Twin Drive-In show.
    2)Vito Venuti's 34 Plymouth sedan at the Willows in 1974.Vito flew out to the Street Rod Nationals in detroit in 72 and bought the car there.He and Don Burley(driving Richie Willet's old 32 Ford 5-window)drove back to Massachusetts.Don had a turtle top carrier on the 32 and had his wife and two kids with him(they rode in the rumble seat all the way)/
    3)Walter Brooks' 33 Ford sedan that was owned at the time by Mike Stevens of Malden.Next to him is a Deuce pickup originally built by Paul Bourque of Saugus in the early 1950's.The owner had put a straight axle in it with a sbc and painted it Metalflake.
    4)Walter Brooks' 34 Ford sedan turned 2 door phaeton.
    5)A 1957 Corvette owned by Wes Callahan(Wes' Auto Body)with an engine by Ross Blasingame Sr. and driven by Ed Whyte.Was bright yellow and held several records as I recall.I lettered it on the late 60's I think.The car was eventually returned to stock by Ed as a fuelie car.
    And that is it for now.Hope you all enjoyed them.

Attached Files:

19. barrelvalve

barrelvalve
    from Mass

Thanks Ray.
    Sorry I don't have any pictures to contribute. What few I had were lost in a flood.

Glad to hear Christy Massios is doing well. He's a good guy.
    I did some striping for him after you moved. He built some nice stuff in that little garage.

20. I am not even kidding you that red car was just for sale on craigslist boston, said the car was built in the 60s in the boston area....

21. Ever see Ed Lawrence's coupe? I am pretty sure it was a Ford...a 32-34, had a 427 Chevy in it...he had it way back then and only recently sold it, he does a lot of Jaguar conversions, now has a big block in a Jag

22. Which red car are you referring to?
    Not familiar with the name Ed Lawrence;where did he come from? The only 34 coupe with a 427 in it that I remember was a green one that Mike Ballistero built around 1970.It looked a bit strange in that the body was channeled and it was full fendered but the radiator/grille was still in the stock position.Didn't keep it from haulin' ass though.

Here's a few more pics I took at various car shows.Some of them I know but most are lost to memory.

Attached Files:

23. A few more:

Attached Files:

24. It is the same car.Walter Brooks from Malden built it originally after he sold his orange 33 Ford sedan.Frank Manos from Peabody owned it up until his death many years ago.He also owned an orange 39 or 40 Ford sedan.The only picture I have of it is the striping on the front fender.

25. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] Walter Brooks' 34 Ford at the Boston Car Show. Walter shared a two bay garage with Lonnie Joyce for a brief while on Edmund St. I don't recall this car but I do remember his next car a 34 sedan turned into a tub.

26. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] Lonnie Joyce's T bucket is not quite finished but, that did not stop him from taking it out for a drive. I don't know who the kids are but, they seem to like the Fad T.

27. Jack;do you know when that picture was taken?It looks like the car is red in that shot and Walter's car was always orange even when Mike Stevens owned it.I seem to remember Lonnie Joyce's T was an early model with the squared off cowl area(pre-1920 maybe?).
    There was another car in Malden when I went to the Voke there and used to see every morning.A 1952 or 53 Olds convertible painted a blue green color(don't think it was a factory color)with a continental kit.Had a name painted on the side that I tried to figure out for months. It was," THISLEDU" in script. Finally figured it out(This'll do").
    Also at the Main St. garages was a chopped 40 Ford coupe belonging to a guy I knew only as Hymie.I think it eventually wound up in Wakefield painted blue with silver scallops.
    In Saugus there were also some nice rides.The Road Rebels had Jack Husler's metallic blue 56 small window Ford pickup with a hot 272 in it.He later had a 57 Custom 300 with a 312 Police special engine.He worked at a Ford dealership(Nel-Nick Motors in Lynn;his dad was the sales manager)Al Sproul had a really nice 55 Merc 2 door hardtop 2-tone blue and right on the ground;Mal Cousens had a black 48 Chevy Aero with a 302 Jimmy in it with a 5 carb manifold.Mal later went on to build racing Harley KR's.Al Rohrbacher had a beautiful black 53 Ford hardtop semi custom;another guy whose name escapes me at the moment(EDIT:His name was Dick Knight)had a 57 Merc Turnpike Cruiser with the 368 Lincoln engine painted orchid and white with a continental kit(had to be 20 feet long easily)and Bill Bourque(Paul's brother)had a 57 Chevy 210 sedan with a fuelie motor(his soon to be wife Peggy had a black 57 BelAir convertible).My cousin Dick had a 48 Plymouth sedan and then a 51 Merc sedan and later the 34 roadster turned coupe.
    There were a couple guys who were really into bikes from Lynn.George Nelson who used to build some of the fastest Triumph motorcycles ever.His buddy Ed Varjabedian(sp?) also was great at it and they used to have really heated competitions with their latest creations.
    Pete Preble had a Harley shop in Salem where Art Santisi started out building hot Sportsters.He eventually had the #1 Harley dealership in the country in sales(Freedom Cycles in Billerica).I used to do a lot of striping at Prebles for Art and eventually a lot of bikers in the area in the early 60's.
    Sorry for the long rant;my mind is remembering all kinds of stuff now.I have to stop;I got a guy bringing down a Model A Ford(stocker)to stripe this afternoon.

28. Ed Lawrence was from Medford, he is still around, he is a Vocational Teacher, I think at Shawsheen or something retired now, tall, thin guy, I hate to qualify it but in case this helps you place him, he is African American/mixed very light skinned, built some serious stuff in his day. I believe the 427 was a 435HP motor.