Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Boston Accidents

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 4, 2012.

1. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

2. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

exactly what I was thinking... look at the lettering... the fonts... its all beautiful- I think we lost a lot along the way.

3. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

Sure looks like it, doesn't it:

[​IMG]

The caption on the Flickr acct says it was in East Cambridge, though.

BTW, the Prince St, garage used to be the Brink's building where the Brinks Job took place: http://www.celebrateboston.com/crime/brinks-job.htm

4. goetzcr

goetzcr

Inspired by "the Wreck of the Old 97," I got into old train wreck photos for a while. It is the same kind of effect. Lots of people standing around ogling. No police tape, no media trucks, just a bit of entertainment for folks that badly needed some. All of them are pretty horrific, though. If you look at the damage done to these cars it really makes you take pause and remember to drive that old Ford tin around like it's made of glass and watch out for the cell phone and text addicts.

5. My mom went thru thr windshield of a T when she was 15. Still talked about it up till when she passed at 90.It can't be a good thing. Thank God for seatbelts etc.

6. autobilly

autobilly

My thoughts exactly.

7. ever drive in Boston?

8. Ha!
    It's so bad they write songs about it!
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qDxVJ471hyg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. martin

martin

Neat pic`s Ryan, and congrats on the new born mate. Martin.

10. budd

budd

they even sing about smash ups on the road to Bean Town, for 10 years every Christmas i trucked Christmas trees all around Boston, i think some of that city looks the same as in Ryan's pistures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aFzfDv2hz0

11. Thanks for posting Ryan. I can look at these pics for days on end. I always look for the dark spots, the water, the blood, the body parts. It seems that black and white kinda take away some of the GORE at first glance, then you see the horrific amount of DEATH, Dismemberment or utter obliteration of a human being. Whether adult or child.

12. Ryan thanks for posting these great pictures. I really like the Mail truck(i,m a retired mail man) and the Ice cream truck

13. willysgasser40

willysgasser40
    from Illinois

Thanks for posting ! I am going to copy the mail truck photo & give it to my crazy mail man !

14. Chipped my front tooth on the dash of my B-I-Ls model A coupe as I grabbed for the E-brake just before we hit the tree in the school yard. Another school pal had an A sedan with just one E-brake hooked up & whom ever was riding in the pass seat felt like it they would grab the E-brake & lock up the rear wheel spinning the A in circles. One day a bunch skipped school in winter & headed to town in Johns' A & someone grabbed the E-brake & started them spinning on the icy road & they hit a mail box flipping & totaling the A. Luckily no one got seriously hurt.

15. Pharouh

Pharouh

Great old photos! I noticed something that would be different today. If the same type of accident happened today,the police wouldn't let all of those slack-jawed yokels and gawkers stand around looking at the wreck.

Now people would be taking pictures with their phones. (facepalm)

16. Aside from the tragedy...Did you find yourself "parts hunting" as well?

17. firingorder1

firingorder1

Damn hot rodders endangering decent God fearing people!!

18. grabrr

grabrr

Some of those old heavy trucks are amazing, they must have been hell to drive, and very few survive these days. It's always cool to see those old pic's then see whats there today, the history is amazing. Thanks!

19. Awesome pictures! Wouldn't you love to hear all the stories!?

20. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Amazing photos Ryan, thanks for discovering them. Anytime I see an accident I wonder,, How the hell did that happen and how fast were they going?? I guess that was the same back then, there will always be rubberneckers. I enjoyed looking at the faces in the crowd as much as trying to figure out the make of the car. How about the driver sitting on the curb with his head down while everyone helps themselves to the spilled apples, he's having a bad day. The Mack truck that cut the phaeton in half, wowza.

21. James Curl

James Curl

It is amazing how fragile the early cars and trucks were compared to even the 60s vehicles let alone the new ones. They had so much wood in them back then instead of steel body structure as even the late 30s and early 40s cars had. Wood may be stronger than steel pound for pound but when push comes to shove the wood breaks where the steel just bends.

22. Some real amazing pics. The car in the ice looks like its on the Charles river somewhere, creepy with the lady in front smiling. I love looking at the signage. They still sell Moxie in some places in New England, and the Socony gas station is pretty cool. I remember one of those on route 1. Though I think they are all gone now.

Also, driving those trucks you had to be dangerous, some of the early Mack's had transmission brakes and/ or wood brake shoes. Never seemed like a good way to stop to me.