Register now to get rid of these ads!

boss 429 front engine dragster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wayne421, Feb 15, 2012.

1. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

NHRA is making a big mistake having the Heritage Series duplicate the spec car aspect of the "Big" show.

I was at a Nostalgia race years ago where Bach and Gould had their SOHC powered FED running. It was a HUGE crowd pleaser and it was not even competitive with the "New Style " Fuelers.

The Cammer was a formidable competitor in it's day.
    The new issue of Hot Rod quotes Connie Kallitta as saying he made enough money with his SOHC powered rail to buy his first airplane!!!!!...and the rest is history..

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  2. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Vandy, can we see some pics of your dragster?

3. Im not a ford guy, but the Bach & Gould car was vary cool with that bad ass cammer. I thought they won Indy goodguys a couple years before vanishing.

4. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

A friend made a thread over on 460 Ford.com, it's in the car buildup section.

5. You say these are on fuel? you mean real fuel, Nitro? high percentages?

They probably run on alky. You probably cannot comprehend the maint need for 3 real nitro engines. That would be beyond nuts.
    Do they even have high percentage nitro classes in pulling?

6. BashingTin

BashingTin

7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Tractor/ Truck pulling is limited to alcohol. My brother pulled using a 648" shotgun Ford, Hi-Helix 14/71, Enderle Buzzard catcher, the best part was he used a Fiat Topolino body before switching to a 34 sedan.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  8. That is what I thought. Have never heard of a puller on nitro. He said 'fuel' but, confused the term with 'alky'. "Fuel" is nitromethane.

Calkins likes this.
  9. KeithDyer

KeithDyer

Back in the mid-80's we ran a Top Fuel hydro drag boat with the Ford Boss 429 as designed by Nick Arias for Alan Root and Ford Motorsports (Bob Glidden stuff).

Pro Stock-style heads that would flow half again what the Chrysler stuff did, 3" main bearings before the KB or BAE or AJ stuff was, 4.900 bore spacing to keep the cylinders straight and round, bulletproof oil system . . .

All the program lacked was development MONEY!!

It worked and ran great as long as the sponsor / driver was in the program. Boat crash (imagine that . . , a drag boat crashing!!) put us on the beach and brought it all to a halt.

Never one to join in the "monkey see, monkey do" mindset, was more than pleased with the positive output of our Ford program.

Take care, K

10. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Any pictures?
    I have a dream going down the track with a cammer in my face:D!

Taildragger&fenderless

11. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Buddy Ingersol.......humm

12. wayne421

wayne421
    BANNED

its comming along pretty goog i need to post some picture it should be rolling and sheet metal hanging by middle of march . im waiting on my tear drop hood from crites and i just finished my 520 bbf with the hilborn stacks and the front end is compleat ready to roll under the front of the car

13. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

I was able to get into the 460.com site and check out Vandy's dragster. Looks bitchin great build photos and the car is a work of art. One question, why not run it as is in A/Fuel?

14. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

When I talked to Ohio George last summer about his Mustangs, he said Ford made him switch to the Boss 9 motor (since it now was being offered in a show room Mustang) but he couldent match the power that the SHOC 427 was making. That was till he put turbos on it, then it woke up. That ablity to make power may have had something to do with it's rareness in T/F along with its high cost to build.

15. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

16. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

Hi Vince
    You can go to youtube and try Nightmare III, and there should be the start up videos we took 2 weeks ago when we fired it for the first time. It was real fun= after fixing the pump Enderle assembled reverse rotation. Yes we already have 6 jugs of 100% nitro waiting. We will make shake down runs on Alky & then add the nitro.
    Thanks for the kind words
    Van

17. This was on the cover of Hot Rod Magazine in 1969.

Attached Files:

18. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

Were early cast iron boss heads made for fuel racing ?

19. rawhide427

rawhide427

Nascar did not allow aluminum heads until 1969 so I would think that until Ford was informed that they could use aluminum they had developed cast iron heads. I have only seen one cast iron head in my travels and that was at the JR/Hedman race header plant in Jackson Mi. They used it to check flange fit.
    regards

20. japar

japar
    from Seekonk Ma

WOW not many BOSS TF Dragsters but there were quite a few Boss Funny cars. Here a pic of the last Tasca Funny Car "SUPER BOSS" and yes it had Boss 429 Power

Attached Files:

21. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

I'd like to put Boss heads on my 429 and stick it in my Fiat....

22. Old Racer 35

Old Racer 35
    from virginia

chuck syler ran nitro in the 80s with boss motor he was from midwest
    stack-on tools car

23. japar

japar
    from Seekonk Ma

Plastic Fantastic Boss 429 Maverick funny car out of Maine I think and ended up at Race Rock in Orlando

Attached Files:

24. mr2performance

mr2performance
    from Indiana

I have a nos mag milodon 2 piece front cover for a boss 9 with integrated pump drive and idler, if anyone is looking for one. Mike [email protected] or pm me here

25. BCRANE

BCRANE

Did anyone actually see the 69 Kalitta Boss fuel dragster in Bowling Green about 8 yrs ago? Does anyone know where it ended up?

26. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

The only organization dumber than NHRA is NASCAR...in either case a guy could get old trying to fight with them over their stupid rules and politics.

27. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

28. afan

afan
    from michigan

There is a guy that lives in Toledo Ohio that is building a nostalga front end dragster that is 429 powered AND a 1970 Mustang bodied 429 powered funny car.The cars are in michigan being put togather.The dragster body is done and the mustang body just went to the paint jail and will be finished first.There is a lot of experenced people working on the two cars,should be a fun summer!! Sorry no pictures yet.

29. Project Paladin

Project Paladin
    BANNED

Are those projects for racing or just cacklefest stuff? Sounds like a cool deal.

30. Although he ran a Cammer in the flopper that Danny Ongias drove