Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Bosley MK 1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 2, 2009.

1. I have seen this car in person at a local car show at Woodley park, it is an exotic looking car in person. I might have some photo's somewhere, I will have to look for them.

Great to see it featured,

CBB

2. Car was displayed at the Pomona Fairgrounds show about a dozen years ago. Can't find my pictures.............

3. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

That thing has a distinctly Italian look about it. I sure would like to see more photos and info about it.

4. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

The car had a hemi in it with only 2 carbs on a Cunningham intake and Magspark ingnition with halibrands on all 4 corners, and to my understanding is the only one to be made. Here is the original article done on the car in the October 1955 issue of HRM (same issue as the original "lightnin' Bug" version of the Grabowski T). This gives the in's and out's of the original configuration of the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a middle shot of the full car photo...

[​IMG]

5. crosleykook

crosleykook
    from sackamento

The Bosley is definitely one of the best looking homebuilts ever- and if he put 100,000 miles on it it must have been pretty reliable too.

Wonder what the deal is with the Hmod on the trailer? I checked 'Bosley' to see if he was an SCCA driver and couldn't find any record for him.

6. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

That is stunning everything down to interior he was a man with a vision and had the ability to make it happen WOW!!!

7. G. Hacker

G. Hacker

Hi Gang..

Here's a recent article from 2006 about the Bosley and its history. See attached PDF/adobe file.

Geoff

Attached Files:

8. sylvian

sylvian
    Member Emeritus
    from Burbank

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  9. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Middle photo is reminiscent of a spaceship. A very fast spaceship!

Nice lines

10. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

His first car and the guy builds his own frame, lays up a perfect looking glass body and powers it up with a multi-cab hemi and some how polishes off all the details and it actually performs pretty well to boot? OK, should I just hang it up right now or wait for just one more story like this before I realize just how lame my hot rodding efforts are?

Obvious Ferrari influences and kind of quirky and odd, but obviously very talented guy. This shot is again both strangely bizarre and cool at the same time, love it:

[​IMG]

This is the kind of shit Americans need to get back to, out of the box creativity that pushes some limits and makes people think, wonder and admire. The fact he just decided to up and build a car and came up with this is embarassingly inspiring to say the least.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  11. N8B

N8B

Bite your tongue! :D

12. hlfuzzball

hlfuzzball
    from Michigan

Thru the years, this car has gotten more ink than just about any other one-off homebuilt ever made, I think.

Just fantastic for a first time effort. Bosley sure did his homework on the design !

Tom

13. racerjohnson

racerjohnson
    from Fargo, ND

Hey stude trucks, don't be so hard on yourself. He might have had a little more money than most of us. Probably had some good help too. Both seem to help accomplish building good machines in a timely fashion.

14. The Bosley Mk1 has always been one of my favorite car designs and it is so well-designed in so many aspects. Strother MacMinn used to refer to Richard Bosley as "the one that got away" in the sense that he had wished Bosley had gone to Art Center and became a professional car designer. Richard Bosley was quite content running his family nursery, being a horticulturalist and building a few great cars in between his other duties and as time allowed.

15. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

I think it was in Classic and Sportscar, I remember reading this too. For some reason it seems to me that there was an attempt to try to build them and then Bosley went to work for one of the big 3 (GM?). I also seem to remember something about the Apollo fitting into this story too but maybe I'm mixing a few things together.

16. md8810

md8810
    from ca

one sold for $233500 in 2000 according to Sportscar Market mag. web site.

17. DetroitJim

DetroitJim
    from Detroit

I personally saw and touched the Bosley MK II many, many years ago! It was in Pontiac, Michigan. Probably late 70's. I don't recall the name of the shop or why I was there but it probably had something to do with Pontiac engines or GTO's. It was sitting covered in dust with no motor, just a body shell and a chassis. I did not recognize it which of course required an investigation. I saw a tubular frame and checked out the fiberglass work. The man there told me it was a "Bosley". I don't remember for sure but I believe he would have sold it to me. I never forget a car and just today, it popped back into my mind as old memories do. Thanks to google I get the whole story! Amazing. So, where is the Mark II today?
    DJ

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

sick!!!

19. DetroitJim

DetroitJim
    from Detroit

So where is car #2??

20. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

Bosley tow truck:D

Attached Files:

21. John Webster

John Webster

I'm not 100% sure but the "towcar" picture looks like it was taken inside the keyhole turn at Mid-Ohio shortly after the track opened. The track is about 100 miles from his home in Mentor, Ohio.

22. carsnbikes

carsnbikes

Could that be from Wilmot Hills ?
    in the mid 60's the Bosley was owned by Guy Wooley

23. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Wow, that's a beautiful car. I'm always amazed folks like this can live, or fade away, into semi-obscurity with so much talent. First heard on this car for me. PS... I just love egg crate grilles. I've been wondering how one would look on a deuce for years. Gary

24. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

Sorry, I'm not seeing the draw. Front three quarter shot looks great, but the side shot looks like a Salvador Dali painting. It kinda looks like the top is sliding off the back. My money's on the Kellison.