Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Borg Warner t10

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AZguy, Jun 12, 2018.

1. AZguy

AZguy
    from Tucson, AZ

Im driving to go grab a 471 blower for
    The 337 in my 50 Lincoln. The guy said he also has a borg Warner t10 with the hurst ramrod shifter and 2 yokes. Would do 250 for the trans since I’m already buying the blower. Not really looking for a trans yet and still running the stock hyrdramatic. You guys think it’s worth picking up for later? I honestly haven’t given it much thought and don’t know much about them.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

depends on what the transmission fits, and what condition it's in. Both are quite unknown. But it might be worth picking it up, if you like collecting stuff that you could possibly sell for more money later.

3. You won't lose your $$ unless it is total junk inside. But gear sets have come down in price over the years. If the case has all the mounting ears and shows no weld repairs, grab it.

4. alwaysamopar

alwaysamopar

The ramrod is worth the 250 alone. Iv seen old ones go for big bucks. If it's the Mr gasket style then I think those are a whole lot cheaper made and not good in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

55belairx2 likes this.

5. AZguy

AZguy
    from Tucson, AZ

Here are the pics they sent me

Attached Files:

6. squirrel

squirrel

It's for a Chevy....it would be neat to read the numbers stamped on the side of the case.

Tempting.

7. Hard to pass that up...

8. The early T10s were notorious for popping out of gear on deceleration after they got worn due to the syncro design. It was a design flaw that was addressed when it was upgraded into the 'Super T10'. Good trans for a small block, more than a bit wimpy if running any big block. BWs slowness in upgrading them is the reason Ford/GM/Mopar came out with their own 4-speeds.

9. AZguy

AZguy
    from Tucson, AZ

Looks like 13-04-066-901 I think. Anyone know if I could use this with the 337 Flathead I have? Some modification if I need to is fine.

10. AZguy

AZguy
    from Tucson, AZ

I’d be running it on my stock 337 so it’s less power than your typical small block, so I’m pretty sure overpowering it won’t be an issue

11. squirrel

squirrel

I meant the stamped numbers, on the case, not on the tail housing.

12. hoodwinx454

hoodwinx454

13. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I've seen t10s go for over $700 in the greater Chicagoland area that still needed to be rebuilt. I say grab it. At the very worst, you'll be able to sell it for what you got in it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

firstinsteele likes this.
  14. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

olscrounger likes this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

actually I was talking about what looks like a partial VIN, next to the date code

16. AZguy

AZguy
    from Tucson, AZ

Is there a vin I should look for or avoid?

17. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The VIN would tell you what the transmission originally came in.

18. The early T10s were pretty much all the same in terms of strength, etc, just variations in the cases and input/output shafts to fit whatever car they were intended for. If nothing major is broken, $250 is a pretty good deal.

19. Fordors

Fordors

I see a few things that say Super T-10, the trans has a fine spline input shaft, the main case has a breather above the rear of the side cover and the tail shaft housing has Borg-Warner cast on it. I think all the early T-10’s were coarse spline input, the only T-10 that came with that breather were the Ford boxes that pre-dated the Ford top loader and that logo on the t/s housing is (was?) used by B-W for their aftermarket automotive lines.
    Before GM started using Super T-10’s the S T-10 was sold over the counter at speed shops and the big draw was the improved metallurgy of the gears.

20. squirrel

squirrel

Yes it does look like a super T10. That would explain why it had a partial VIN.

Sent from my Trimline

21. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

I'm with alwaysamopar, the shifter is worth $250 alone, so the trans is free, how can you lose???

22. Not sure it's a Super T10. When they went to 26 spline input, I thought they also went to 32 spline output (Turbo 400)
    I think the speed shop item was still 10 spline.
    In any case, I'd bring a 1/2" socket and battery impact, and take a look inside.
    At least, spin the trans in every gear, and then check 1st gear while you're at it. Might be 2.43 or a 2.64.

23. Fordors

Fordors

I’m pretty sure the First Design Super T-10 had a coarse input and output. The Second Design has the fine spline input and Turbo 400 sized 32 spline output. One photo from the OP shows a fine spline output.
    Another thing I didn’t notice before was the switch on the side cover. IIRC that was used to only provide vacuum advance in high gear as part of GM’s emissions system. That switch pegs it as a later trans and not a T-10.

24. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

If you are going to the LA roadster show. Bri g it and i will give you 500.00 cash......

25. AZguy

AZguy
    from Tucson, AZ

Thanks for the help guys. I didn’t grab it when I was picking up the blower but we are going to get it from them soon and I’ll give it a shot. Sounds like if I can find a manual bellhousing that came on the 50 Lincoln’s the t10 should bolt up, so I’ll start keeping an eye out for one.

26. If it's a Super T10 and not trashed, it's a steal at $250.... run, don't walk.

27. AZguy

AZguy
    from Tucson, AZ

Can’t tell if it’s auper t10 but moved though all the gears smooth. Didn’t get a chance to open it up and look inside yet though

28. squirrel

squirrel

it's a Super T10,. we can tell from close examination of your pictures.

29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I paid $200 for a freshened up Super T-10 in 1975, and no shifter.