Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Borg Warner T10 tranny question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sirhc, Feb 17, 2020.

1. sirhc

sirhc
    from Boise, ID

445965D5-114D-495C-BAE8-388F9609E225.jpeg I picked up a T10 the other day but am finding some conflicting data for dating it...

It appears to be a standard Borg Warner T-10
    Case stamping is T10-1C
    Serial number on the case is WB2772
    T10-7D tailshaft dated 11-2-66
    One input groove - wide ratio 2.54 1.92 1.51 1.0
    10 spline input, 16 spline output

I’m sure it’s been thrown together over the years in non-factory configuration, but I’m having trouble dating the case. I had read that the 1C stamping was in the 1961-1962 timeframe, but the serial number WB2772 points to a year ending in a 7?

Thanks for the input. I think it will work well in my 29’ roadster with a Buick 215, really more curious than anything.

thanks!

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The regular T-10 was last used in Chevys in 1963 but ?Buick, Pontiac? used them till 65/66 in some models, like you surmised a lot has been pieced together over the years.

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Keep in mind, T-10's with a lot of miles on them are known to jump out of gear when decelerating, I had one years ago that jumped out of second gear.

4. sirhc

sirhc
    from Boise, ID

Thanks - we’ll see how this one works out. Appreciate it...

5. You can still buy a lot of brand new parts for these online .
    I bought a cluster and several gears,,,complete rebuild kit,,,sliders .
    Just about anything you need ?

Tommy

6. X-cpe

X-cpe

AMC also used them. We had one in our Camaro stock car 20 years ago. The only difference was that you had to bore out the pilot bushing to the larger AMC diameter. A bungee cord solved the jumping out of 4th gear problem.

7. sirhc

sirhc
    from Boise, ID

I’ll put a bungee cord on the shopping list!

8. I have rebuilt a few of these.......pretty straight forward. Bad syncros is the usual suspect for popping out of gear when decelerating. Could also be from a worn input/front bearing. Pretty sure the all-aluminum case is mid-'60s.

9. I used to collect blown up T-10's and had a lot of spare parts. I built a lot of them from these spare parts and I'm sure anyone that still has one has the same questions as you. If it fits, bolt it on. We don't need no steenkin numbers.

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The second T-10 I put in my 57 Chevy in the early 70's I acquired from a local transmission shop, it had been custom built for a drag racer but never picked up, it had a Ford high nickel input shaft, someone had a big surprise when they went to change the clutch disc.

11. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Its a shame someone butchered the shift rods , just wow !