Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Borg Warner T-10 ID help needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MARKDTN, Jan 22, 2022.

1. MARKDTN

MARKDTN

I have this early T10 that I have had for quite a long time. I do not believe I am going to use it so I want to take it to the Nashville AACA meet in a couple weeks to sell. I got it under the impression that it was a '64 Corvette Close-ratio box and that it had been internally gone through. The outside is clean but not perfect because it was meant for a survivor car. Whatever. Dates on the side cover and tail are '62 and '63. Hard to interpret the date on the case. It is an iron case and aluminum tail. It does have a 27 spline output, but according to the charts I find it should have a 3 groove input shaft which it doesn't (only 1). The stamped number on the left side is WG2431. I think it must be a conglomeration of parts, but what is there looks nice inside. Any idea on what it really is? Any idea on worth? I do not have a shifter or yoke for it, but it does seem like it could be put in and run as-is. FRONT.jpg LHCOVER.jpg LHOPEN.jpg LHSIDE.jpg RHSIDE.jpg RHSIDECLOSE.jpg RHTAIL.jpg TAILNUMBERS.jpg

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  2. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

I may be wrong, but the Corvettes were aluminum case in the 60s cars.

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Disclaimer......I've been wrong on things before.
    Chevys' use of the T-10 ended with the introduction of the Muncie four speed in 63, some other GM divisions continued the use of T-10's up through the 65 model year.
    Possible some 64 Chevys could have been built with T-10's until inventory's were depleted.

saltracer219 likes this.
  4. Fordors

Fordors

The single groove on the input means it is a 2.54 first, wide ratio gear set, but it has a later (1964-‘65) main shaft. IIRC the 27 spline main shaft was only used on a 2.20 close ratio gear set, so at some point somebody rebuilt that box and put a wide ratio gear set in it. Not that that’s a problem.
    The WG2431 stamped on the case comes back as W-Warner, G-July, 2-day, 4-1964, 3-shift but I don’t know what the 1 at the end is.
    It looks pretty good on the inside, not a lot of wear on the brass rings or synchro teeth, somebody will be happy to get it.

Max Gearhead likes this.

5. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

If the case and tailhousing numbers were stamped backwards (B-1, B-7 instead of 1B, 7B), you'd be sitting on a goldmine. Early Shelby Cobra #s.

Joe

6. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Following this. Wonder if the blue paint helps give a clue. I have a similar BW from '63, also blue in color. WH83 3 stamped on the case. Also a 27 spline output.

7. Good looking box,,,,,what are you gonna ask for it ?

Tommy

8. Fordors

Fordors

Duh, now that I think about it the main case stamping means July 24, 1963, built on the 1st shift.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  9. sdluck

sdluck

My t 10 is from a 1961 or 62 corvette wide ratio cast iron case,looks like yours.

10. MARKDTN

MARKDTN

OK, so mostly '63 dates-so maybe a '63 wide ratio with a later fine spline mainshaft? I don't know what to ask for it. I see them on Ebay for $1600 plus shipping built. This one is more unknown, but it sure looks nice in there. Is $1000 too much? For those in the Southeast, unless something happens, it and I will be at the AACA swap meet in Nashville space A-16. Come see it and lets make a deal.

11. squirrel

squirrel

1000 would be a good place to start...if you still have it after a few hours, drop the price a little? :)

Fordors likes this.
  12. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have mine listed at $800; haven’t made anyone happy yet.

13. squirrel

squirrel

Seems most guys building hot rods these days go for something with overdrive, so the market for the old 4 speeds is limited, mostly restorers these days. But there are a few guys who like to build hot rods like they did in the 60s-70s.

GordonC and Pass The Torch like this.
  14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Take a wrench to remove the side cover for any potential buyer.

15. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did have one bite, locally, from a guy who happened to be racing and blew his up (so he said). Wrong input shaft (I think). My money is on the numbers matching guy who has to have it. It doesn’t take up much room, and I don’t have to feed it…

vtx1800 and 57Custom300 like this.
  16. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

‘tis done in the ad I have; I added two pic’s.

Mind you, I’m not trying to hijack this thread (my apologies to the OP). Was just trying to see value and add my personal experience, as both units are pretty similar.

17. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

The main case in Corvettes was cast iron until mid-November, 1960, when it changed to aluminum. An iron case dated '62 is either a pass. car case or a Service part

18. sdluck

sdluck

I bought it from the original owner I was told and have seen the car,he put a 5 spd in it and a 383.

19. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Full size Pontiacs used cast iron T-10s in that era as well, but I can't help on ID'ing yours.

20. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ll ask this again, as it may have gotten lost: Does the fact that it’s got some remnants of blue paint help lend any clues as to what it was out of?

21. Fordors

Fordors

Not absolute info but from my experience GM did not paint transmissions.

22. MARKDTN

MARKDTN

OK, so '63 Passenger (probably early August car for the purists, but the side cover is too early for them) wide ratio box with a later mainshaft. Thanks!

I too was under the impression that GM did not paint transmissions, so I think the blue paint is just a coincidence.

23. That looks very similar to the T10 I have behind my 259 Studebaker, it came out of a 63 Avanti supposedly. It is also a cast iron case with aluminum tail shaft housing. it is also a GM pattern at the bellhousing as well.

24. MARKDTN

MARKDTN

A buddy told me that 1964 Production started in August 1963 so if that is true it could possibly be an early '64 transmission. Not that it matters, but I thought that was interesting and maybe why I was told it was a '64. Of course he told me Corvette and not Passenger, but don't all Chevrolet engines start as Corvette engines (and transmissions)? :)

SS327 likes this.