Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bored on the Interstate?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mutt, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Mutt

Mutt

Then get off of it, and see the USA (it doesn't have to be in a Chevrolet). Sure, it's a little slower on the Federal and State routes, but there's so much more to see.

There's motels, old gas stations, old car dealerships, some great restaurants, and you're giving your money to Americans, not some multi-national corporation. Like neon? There are more old signs than you could ever want. Gas pumps? Yep! Admittedly, you can't get good deals any more - most of the people have been approached several million times, and know what the stuff is worth - unless you get very lucky, but they are there for the picture taking.

Old signs? Tons of them still hang in rural America, on deserted grocery stores, gas stations, and even on operating country stores.
    If you want to experience the art of architecture and design of the '30s, '40s, and '50s it's still there. But you'd better hurry, because it's disappearing as you read this.

Interstates are great if you're in a hurry, but they are no way to see America. Happy Motoring!

Before I sold my house, and began touring the country in the motorhome, I almost bought this garage in Springfield, Ohio. The county school district was using it as their bus garage. It would have made a really neat house/shop. I think these buildings should be saved.

Mutt

2. Mutt

Mutt

These stations were in Texas.

Mutt

3. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Word! I drove from Houston to Tyler, Texas this past Saturday for a funeral. Over half was on 2 lane highway. Saw many a sight, as I'd never been on this stretch of road before. Even jotted down in my blackbook the location of 2 seperate '55 Caddy Coupe De Villes.

My tip for motoring the back highway, watch for the po-po. 2 lane highways going from 55 down to 35 in a hurry equals $'s for the local county mounty.

4. Mutt

Mutt

St. Augustine Florida. Now an antique shop, it had an apartment on top with a sun deck. Two bays to work on cars, inside storage for 4 cars, and an office to display your coke machine, signs, oil can collection, etc.

Mutt

5. Mutt

Mutt

Silver City, New Mexico. The big building was a Studebaker dealership, and is now an antique store.

Mutt

6. Mutt

Mutt

The famous Conoco station in Shamrock, Texas. It was being restored when I took this. The other building is an old car dealership building in Shamrock.

Mutt

7. I couldn't agree more. I take every chance I get to leap onto the 2 lanes with my hotrod. I generally plan for a day or 2 more just so I can take the "blue hiways".....and it always pays off with great stories, memories and photo opportunities. Plus, an added bonus is the relaxation you get with driving 55 through the pretty scenery VS. cranking along at 75, fighting with semis and SUVs for the passing lane....
    It's a no-brainer...

Attached Files:

8. Mutt

Mutt

This is in Texas also. The pumps weren't for sale. But I did happen to see several pumps alongside a building in Deming, N.M., and was able to purchase them. Doesn't hurt to ask, in the proper way.

Mutt

9. Mutt

Mutt

Rocky, I really like the Omaha area. One of my brothers was stationed in Belleview at the National Command Center, and when I would visit him I would always come home with a truck load of collectables. I used to prowl the warehouse area for vending machines, as well as antique automobilia.
    There is a gas pump repair place on the NW side of Omaha that had 5 shelves of parts for old pumps. I cleaned him out - and he said that since he didn't have current prices for that stuff, he would give it to me for the 1951 price, + 20% for inflation. These Tokheim pump faces are still wrapped in 1951 newspaper.

There's a little town (don't remember the name) on the way to Lincoln that had a Studebaker dealership in it, and I stopped when I saw a Studebaker sign through the dusty window. There were several Studes, including a Hawk stored inside, but the roof was collapsing and they were getting pretty ragged. This was around '92-93. They had another building on the other side of the road with a parts store in it, and a Stude pickup in real nice condition.

Nebraska and Iowa are loaded with Neat Old Stuff

Mutt

10. kentucky

kentucky

Great pics Mutt. You and Rocky are right on, I always take the two lane when possible. It's a hell of a lot better than playing "dodge the morons" at 75:eek:

11. TvanD

TvanD
    from Newton IA

I agree with ya. The family and I try to 2 lane it when time allows.Drive an old car of if you're hauling a project someboby always has a story or can sometimes tell ya whereto get parts for what you've got. There's a great number of books on rt 66 that have all the original traces but you need 4WD to run some of it. Last fall Deb and I went to Texas to get a Ducati I bought and the rule was NO Interstates, one of the best times we ever had. Just poked along and shot pictures and met great people. You're right about Shamrock TX cool town and the best and cleanest Dairy Queen I'v ever been in. Still looking for a clean restroom in New Mexico, 5 trips and still no luck but can't say enough good about Gallop NM. Ya take the good and the bad as it comes and cherish the good and screw the bad.

12. Mutt

Mutt

Some pictures and post cards from the old days. They'll give you an idea of what to look for...

Mutt

13. Mutt

Mutt

I stayed in the Wigwam Motel in Cave City, Ky. when I was about 6 or 7 yrs old.

Mutt

14. Mutt

Mutt

And finally, some gas stations...this is for all of you that were born too late..:D

Mutt

15. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

I drove down to Panama City last year and was shocked at all the stuff across rural America. I wanted to stop every 5 miles cause something caught my eye. When we got into Tennesse (or was it Alabama?) there was an old station just a little off the I-71 where there was a 57 Ford hardtop with a cardboard sign in it that read : "$500 drive me home"

I almost had a heart attack.

You guys are lucky bastards to have all this bitchin' cool old stuff around. Our government cleaned house years ago and you just don't see much vintage paraphernalia around.

16. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

17. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Great pictures, much appreciated.
    I hate the interstate but sometimes you've gotta get there quicker. How I wish we coulda taken more of Route 66 in but we just didn't have the luxury of time.
    I really hate what's happening to Main Street USA, it's the same five chains and then five miles down the road the whole scenario repeats itself.

Every American suburb is becoming alike, I hate it.

18. This one is for sale here in town- 1600sq ft with 1600 sq ft carport. The price isnt too bad ($200k) but it is in the less desireable side of town. But what would I do with it?

Attached Files:

19. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Definitely getting a homogenized look to most towns, no soul. Its sad that even my kids 19 and 21 recognize it as so. Thanks for the pics.

20. Mutt

Mutt

gr63 - I have that site bookmarked. I've been into advertising and collectibles for about 20 years now. I really enjoy art deco items and art. Unfortunately, when I sold my house in '95 I had to sell a ton of stuff because I had nowhere to keep it.

Thanks,

Mutt

21. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

Don't you wish sometimes that they put the Berlin wall in upper New York state around some little town enclosing everything in untouched... man I've got too much time on my hands at work... :)

Where where you Jan 18, 1962?

[​IMG]

22. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

Not to mention anymore, you'll probably get there quicker not using the Interstate. Traffic is a bitch.

23. Mutt

Mutt

Some of you guys who live near these Main Streets should compare them to these early pictures....

Mutt

24. Mutt

Mutt

The last of them.

Mutt

25. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Mutt,

My son just relocated to Ohio from Wyoming. We're here lookin' at your post and my son says "I've seen that coffee pot cafe, think it was called Sapps, maybe in Wyoming or Nebraska?

Great pictures by the way, pretty hard to beat the old days! :cool:

Blown49

26. Mutt

Mutt

Blown 49 - That particular one was in Bedford Pa. But I can remember coffe pot diners on rt66 whenI used to drive it in the '60s, so I'm sure they were built in a lot of states.
    There's still a lot of stuff around you in Ohio. I used to hop in the roadster on a nice summer night, and drive out rt 28 or 32, ending up in Chilicothe or Portsmouth, and never learned to take my camera with me. I really enjoy the hills of Southern Ohio for a drive.

Mutt

27. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Mutt, thanks for the response. We have a cruise in once a month at an old Sheel Station in Russelville, OH 'bout 10 miles south of rte 32. You're right Flathead Youngin (Portsmouth) and I live in some pretty country. Lots of rolling green hills.

28. I love this stuff; thanks to all who posted. I'll have to dig up my old post cards and try to get em on here.

29. Great pictures!

Makes you want to boycott the Wal-Mart! Old Sam had a seemingly wonderful marketing idea, but their corporate greed has ruined the downtown individuality of the small business storefront. Most are ghost towns now.

Is there any part of our country that is unspoiled? Is that progress?

30. COOL POST...!:cool: