Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bore spacing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RichFox, Dec 25, 2013.

1. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

This may not be the right place, but I can't find a better one. My Morton & Brett OHV conversion head for my '26 Dodge Bros banger seems to be beyond repair. So I am looking in a traditional way for something that can be made to work. What ever I use will need cutting and welding. So i would want to stick with aluminum. I was looking at Chrysler 3.8 V6 heads and other such things. But don't know the bore spacing. The DB is about 4.625 on 1-2 and 3-4. Anyone know of a source for bore spacing for V6 engines? Merry Christmas.

2. finn

finn

New engine family releases were often accompanied by an SAE paper describing the features and specifications. Don't know if this still happens, as there are so many releases now and the platform lifespan seems to be shorter.

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Thanks. Still trying to find something like that on line. V8s are easy to find. I am informed my 1929 Ford roadster, which set the B/FR record in 1958 at Bonneville and again in 1990 in G/GR along with V4 records at Muroc and El Mirage is a "Traditionally Styled" car and not a truly traditional car. Damn they are tough in here.

4. Rich, your roadster is as traditional as it gets. I saw it run in '90.
    As for engine specs, I found the Chevy 60 degree V6 has a bore spacing of 4.40....and the Ford 3.8 is 4.193. dunno if that helps

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013

5. I don't know what a Chrysler 3.8 is, the 3.9 is the same as the LA block v8s.

6. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

By the list, Pontiac & Olds has the right bore spacing. By your post is the bore spacing different between cyl. 2 & cyl. 3?

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

RMR&C Thanks. In '90 I had the Lotus 907 engine in it and we got the G/GR record. After that I went to the 32 Plymouth OHV and flathead V4 motors. Trying to get a Dodge Bros banger in it now. But it's been a fight. That list is nice, but short on V6 info. Steve I think the 3.9 is a cut down LA engine. The 3.3 and 3.8 were new clean sheet 60 degree engines with aluminum heads. They are all over evil bay cheap, Like me.

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Yes Olds would be great, But I would need to cut it and add a spacer between 2 and 3. For that I would really like an aluminum head because I know welding iron can turn out badly. And I'm to cheap to buy a new aluminum head and cut it up.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ford FE? That DB is a 4-cylinder, right?

A raw alloy FE head can be had for about $600.

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Yes the DB is a four, and yes the FE has the correct spacing. But the missing part where the pushrods go makes it kind of an extra pain to use. Plus i would like to stick with junk yard parts if possible. I should have stuck with the Plymouth PB. Shown. Y block and Windsor and Cleveland all were near bolt ons. Thanks for the info. They still seem to skip the 3.8. But I'll bet it is pretty much the same as the heads on there.

Attached Files:

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The bore spacing on the 3.3, 3.5, and 3.8l Chrysler 6's seems to be 4.45"

13. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Total wild guess, no useful knowledge at all, might spark ideas:

If you get a pair of LS heads could they work with proper sectioning? I've heard of electro discharge cutting of aluminum to get a good smooth surface. Then patch in other pieces as needed

There is a guy on an LS forum who has made a v-12 and a v-4 out of them. So at least the cutting and rejoining is possible.

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The LS would be nice parts. I don't have an EDM machine so it looks like a band saw for whatever i get.

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The spacing is 4.4" on a LS. That would be a ton of cutting and splicing.

16. BTW learn about "furnace brazing" it is the way to "weld" iron heads. Has been since the 70s at least.

17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I have seen a few furnace brazed heads. Wasn't impressed with how they turned out. Maybe the fit required was just to critical for this kind of work. Anyway, I have the information I need and thanks for everyone who chimed in to help.