Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Border Bandits Gas class builds to the Southeast Gassers rules.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by II FUNNY, Nov 5, 2014.

1. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

You are wrong about your pictures______IT LOOKS GREAT! What makes you have to run those plugs, they make all different lengths and heat ranges. Gary

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  2. Thanks. These are the plugs Robert Pond runs. He told me he has done a lot of dyno testing and these ones actually make a huge difference in power. I should have taken a picture of the plug location in the combustion chamber. The plug is shrouded on the one side if u use a shorter plug. So the way the plug comes into the combustion chamber only one side of the plug sticks out to where u can see the threads. They are kind of a weird setup.

loudbang likes this.
  3. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

OK, then I would index them and grind the threads off. You can even do that with a tool post grinder if you have one. Gary

OahuEli and loudbang like this.
  4. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

I would chuck the plug up and try to remove the threads using a small file instead of the turning tool. The file should be forgiving over the raised area.

loudbang likes this.
  5. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Why cant you make a threaded bung or sleeve for the plug to screw into, slit it on one side and hold it in a 1" 5C collet

That way it cant fly out and you can take your 1/2" of threads

That sure sounds like a strange way for the plug to be located in the chamber

Sometimes spending the time to make some good tooling will pay in the long run, since it looks like you might need more than just a few plugs in the future

DND

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  6. That's not a bad idea there. Then it wouldn't be clamping on the plug itself either and everyone would be the same. I will probably do that because I will have a lot of plugs to do in the near future. It really is a strange place for it to be located but that's because it comes into the side of the chamber and it's like a hemi chamber just look at the plug wire locating it's only like an inch from the intake.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

If the plugs are 3/8" in the combustion chamber, couldn't you just make spacers for the plugs? That way you doubt have to turn every plug you use down, because if you knocked your plugs dead at the track it'd suck. If you have room, hex stock would be nice, so you could use a wrench to screw the spacers off the plugs. And too, the plug being that far down in the chamber might have clearence issues with the piston, and the plug heat range will really get hot too.

loudbang likes this.
  8. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Zac you did not read all of the thread. Sorry , Gary

Zak Hall likes this.
  9. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Yeah. I just woke up...

10. New phone, and computer, for the move to NC, and I barely know how to turn them on (need to ask my kids). We have a Suname of work at the shop, so it's head down, and get it done.

11. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Plus that is the way his engine builder wants it, so he is kinda stuck

I had thought about spacers too but figured he had to have them stick out in the chamber

Zak Hall likes this.
  12. Besides getting the plug, un-shrouded by the chamber it's always good (at least on naturally aspirated engines) to get the plug closer to the piston. Older traditional hemi engines have relatively large, lazy combustion chambers, so moving the plug in, acts the same as adding ignition advance, without the penalty of lighting the fire when the piston is further down the cylinder, aka more timing advance. Turning down overly extended plugs was common in NASCAR qualifying engines, until NASCAR did away with them in the early 2000's. By the way, Nascars decision to kill special built qualifying engines was a $1,000,000.00 hit to CP-Carrillo overnight! NASCAR said they were tired of us going to the Bahama's in the winter, while the Pettys, Earnhardts', Childress's etc. ate bean sandwiches! I've never been to the Bahama's, but I sure know what a bean sand which tastes like.

OahuEli, 3dnsouth, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Yeah like those guys are eating beans.

OahuEli and loudbang like this.
  14. Exactly!

15. I like bean sandwiches!

loudbang and saltflats like this.
  16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That's what I am use too.

17. loudbang

loudbang

Hey this is a minor problem for Cammer owners. While the bowtie crowd has to go looking at ways to make more power to attempt to beat the cammer all you have to do is make sure the plugs fit right as it's making more power then they are already. OK let the flame war begin :cool:

18. I think I have the hard parts of the tin work done. It took longer than I thought to get as far as I am now. I plan on getting the side panels done and then finishing the big piece in the trunk this week. After that is all done I'm going to Finnish up the cage and the rest of the welding on a few small things. Then it will be off to work so I can do the body work and paint. I decided I would just take it to the shop because it will take half the time to do and won't make a complete mess in my shop at my house. May is approaching fast and I still have a bunch of work to get done but I am feeling really good with the progress I have made.

Attached Files:

Pufff, OahuEli, Mtn Goat and 5 others like this.
  19. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

Looks great. I just made a purchase yesterday that has close to caught me up with you guys. Cant wait for racing season!

sonic03bluegt and Dog_Patch like this.
  20. Yea I just seen that. That car has the rite stance gonna be pretty badass. I can't wait either come April and I will be pulling all nighters if I have to I want to test with it a little early may so I can be ready for Knoxville at the end of may.

Dog_Patch, beebee78 and Uncledirty616 like this.
  21. beebee78

beebee78
    from illinois

Seen it first hand today looks killer !!

22. 91whitestang

91whitestang
    from Wisconsin

Well needless to say i have been pretty quiet lately in here and in the garage working on my car. I have been saving money snd buying parts, but like Jeff told me you can buy as many parts as you want but they wont put themselves together. I have been busy with other things as well, just had to make my way back out to the garage.

So here it is, this car wont be done for this years seg schedule as much as i wish i could run with my other fellow bandits, but i dont think the funds will allow me to make that happen this year which is ok. I will have the car at the meltdown this year as a roller to show the progress at that point.

Well got some more parts and tubing and such so i could start building the rear half of the frame and suspension.

I cut and pinched the existing 31 frame rail in the back so i could sleeve the new frame over top of the old for more reinforcement. Got both of the uprights tack welded on at both the same angle and built the rear half of the frame and squared it off on the bench.

Have to finish welding it up and then start laying out the spring mounts, shock mounts, and laddar bar brackets.

Attached Files:

23. beebee78

beebee78
    from illinois

Go Big E Go !!

91whitestang likes this.
  24. looking good. what color are you going with?

25. 91whitestang

91whitestang
    from Wisconsin

Thanks i appreciate it. As far as color im not positive yet, at first i was going to go black which is fitting since i have a black truck and black enclosed trailer why not just make everything black. Then i thought about how flipping hot it will get inside while at the track and so i was thinking on going with a light blue color. So right now im not sure, i still have plenty of time to worry about it infortunately lol, but we will see when the time gets closer.

26. 91whitestang

91whitestang
    from Wisconsin

Thank you sour grape

beebee78 likes this.
  27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looking good and you are much farther ahead than me.
    My SEG build is just a pipe dream for now
    Maybe I should put down the pipe.

Dog_Patch and 91whitestang like this.
  28. the other stang is looking good also. nice job on the tin.

29. 91whitestang

91whitestang
    from Wisconsin

Picked these rear shocks up yesterday with jeff, brand new just used for mockup got a good deal

Attached Files:

loudbang and beebee78 like this.
  30. 91whitestang

91whitestang
    from Wisconsin

Slowly gathering more parts for the rear end to make this thing a roller hopefully soon one of these days. Got a little more work done on the model a, finished welding the rear frame and jeff was up this week and had a good idea on relocating the springs so we started figuring out where things would be positioned in the rear frame (shocks, springs, brackets)

Attached Files:

loudbang and beebee78 like this.