Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Boones 53 wagon - #2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boones, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Karmaize

Karmaize
    from Mass

How did you end up setting up your e-brake. It looked like you have it in there on your drum brake rebuild a few pages back. Car looks great!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Well, thought it was time to do an update. the wagon it back in the garage apart. decided it was time to rebuild my motor (it was smoking bad) so I pulled the front sheetmetal and yanked it.

201.jpg

203.jpg

First redo of original design, I decided I did not like how I had set up the Accu-air components, so I am moving them to the spare tire well. no pic yet but its new location will allow for easy access (before I had it hidden behind interior panels or up under the qtr panels. not a good place to be if you have to trouble shoot while on a road trip.

207.JPG

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Any updates Boones

4. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Sorry, been off the HAMB for awhile and focused on a house remodel. I have been tinkering with the wagon some.
    since my last update was a year ago, I got the new rebuilt 327 installed (man it runs great) with a solid 345 hp on the dyno and drove it all last summer with no issues.

The wagon is currently in the shop getting some much needed rust repair done to the tailgate, roll pan and corners. I will post some pictures upon its return (in about 2 months)..

216.jpg

217.jpg

5. More better.

6. engine looks good. Since just going with rear air, why not a single compressor and smaller tank? Also get a smooth molded upper hose instead of the ribbed for her pleasure type.

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

Wow, I can't believe I missed this. Great build. Glad to see another wagon in your stable.

8. sawzall

sawzall

awesome. will it get paint this year?

9. Love the wagon Ken,stoked to see you are working on it again. HRP

10. wayfarer

wayfarer

Nice to see some progress, Ken. Hopefully, I'll see you out on the road this summer.

11. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Its been awhile so I thought I would do an update on my wagon. it spent the winter under the knife getting some rust repair down. could not find a solid tailgate but did find one that was rebuildable. lower tailgate, roll pan and rear corners were fabb'd up as well as the both rear lower qtr panels.

218.jpg
    219.jpg

220.jpg

12. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

fab'd some new inner wheel wells and 4 link covers. I think the rockers will need some more attention, some thin spots that better do this winter now rather then at a later time. Hood is at a local shop being filled and peaked. that is about it for this year, just cruisin it around, put about 1500 miles on it since June. next winter it gets a LS motor and overdrive and more body work.

226.jpg

227.jpg

13. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

time to go back and update the build after being away. Here it is after some primer 223.jpg

LAROKE likes this.
  14. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Got the car on the road for some driving during the 2016 summer and I attend a few events, it was proving to be a great driver. this was the first longer distance road trip (2 hrs away). Pic from a friend.. 240.jpg

Lone Star Mopar and LAROKE like this.
  15. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Winter time again, back apart for upgrades. time for new motor install was in the plan, so I started to make changes and mock it up. Required new trans mount and changes to motor mounts. first issue, trans is longer.. so I had to take my spare mount and rework it. 246.jpeg
    Cut apart and reshaped. (this is for mock, I will fab a solid replacement once I know it works as i want. 256.jpeg

Mock up in..

260.jpeg

16. I should have kept my 54 wagon but the A pickup stashed in the garage makes up for it

17. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

never got it installed as other things in live came up. so back in the 327 went. I did get some small things upgraded. had some interior pieces rechromed.

268.jpeg

instrument bezel filled and rechromed. still have not done the engine turned panel like I want to. 381.jpg

LAROKE likes this.
  18. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

One reason for the delay in getting the new (2nd) engine installed was I decided to rework the gas tank and air ride system again. I was not happy with the gas tank and how it sat. (it was below the rearend) and while screwing around and sitting low I did a U turn in a field while at a show (Billetproof NW) and I hit a rock I did not see it pushed the gas tank up into the support frame I built and put a small tear in it. when full it would leak a little. Out came the factory style tank and I started to look for alternatives.

I decided on a Mustang (67) unit that would bolt in and late flat. I remove the rear spare tire well.

0280.jpg

I built a new cradle to bolt the Mustang tank into place but allow it to sit slightly under the floor (so gas line would be under floor.)

0282.jpg

Plenty of room now between rearend and tank and it is tucked up out of the way.

0283.jpg

(still need to drill the rivets out of the rear hanger.) ,
    0284.jpg

19. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Decided since I had to relocate the filler spout on the tank to work, I would customize the gas fill and place it behind the tail light. I used a flip down kit I found online.

301.jpg

316.jpg

Tim, LAROKE and Tman like this.
  20. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

In preparation for future swap, I installed a electric fuel pump, it all sits under the floor since I built with with the tank slightly below floor level.

332.jpg

Buily a new removalable panel above the tank and with just the cap sticking out. .I set it up as a backup to the hidden neck just in case I had issues getting those big rubber filler necks you see at some gas stations to work. I had not verified I could get a gas nozzke into the tail light opening. (I was trying to be safe and think ahead when on a road trip)

328.jpg

Had some extra play money laying around since I did not finish the engine swap and sent all the stainless out for straightening and polishing. My plan is to leave the patina but have all the bright work look like new or better.

323.jpg

21. The gas filler looks great Ken, almost looks like it came that way from the factory. HRP

22. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

As winter was coming to an end I did find time to redo my air ride system and get a stereo installed as I have plans for some long distance trips (for summer for 2018) put 10 lbs of stuff in a 5 lb bag as I wanted to build a floor and allow hauling of stuff. here is the roughed in set up. set up includes 2 10" subwoofers, 2000 watts, 4 mids and 4 tweets up front..

371.jpg

here it is with floor with heavy gage mess over speakers to allow sound out but not get damaged.. (this is another temp set up as I may need to adjust box to optimize sound). 377.jpg

lurker mick likes this.
  23. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

The summer of 2018 was a blast, I took two long distance trips from Seattle to Ca, first was in june when i drove to L.A. for a lowrider Bomb (pre 1960) show. it was the first time they allowed patina rides into the show. I took long distance and received great feedback, one for driving that far and for the looks of the wagon.
    393.jpg

While in LA, I visited a place I have wanted to see since I was a kid, Dead Mans Curve, here is the wagon park on the curve. I will say, Mulholand Dr is one tightly curved road.. while sitting there I met a car guy from overseas (europe) who was also checking it out. he had a Merc I believe he said.

403.jpg

Made the evening news while attending a local show.

396.jpg

the second long trip was my annual drive to Pleasanton CA. for the GG show. a club member happen to be on the freeway headnig to work the morning I left for Pleasanton and caught this shot

397.jpg

Tman and LAROKE like this.
  24. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Summers over and now it back into the shop. while on my last trip home from CA, the padding in the stock bench seat finally gave out, I had to go buy a pillow to sit on for the drive home., it was that bad. It was time for interior work. Plans were to do a retro styled interior that favored the wagon look.

My dad gave me an old set of impala seats that I hauled home from my Pleasanton trip (they live real close to the show) but they required a full rebuild, they were free, so what do you expect...

431.jpg
    mocked into place,

448.jpg

Door panel mock up 452.jpg

Material comparison.. 460.jpg
    Rear seat mock,

503.jpg

25. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Here are some pictures on the rebuilding of the front sear.

504.jpg

all apart, stripped and painted. frame

508.jpg

Here is the material chosen, its a 1970 Dart pattern along with a vinyl that has a warn look (to go with the patina outside)

506.jpg

26. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

It took a few weeks but the seats and door panels are complete. I am happy with how it has turned out. Now I realize I will need to rechrome the band around the tip. it looks good but not as nice as I would like (future project).

511.jpg

534.jpg
    Front seat

537.jpg

Now the dash looks like shit., with fresh chrome and nice interior, I dont like its patina'd look against the nice material, it just seems to escalate. future project

27. Those seats came out awesome

Boones likes this.
  28. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

that was about it for the winter of 2019, no engine upgrade, $$ was on short supply to buy everything I needed still. but the summer of 2019 was another fun one attending shows all over. Made another two trips to CA. one to Santa Maria for Cruisin Nationals and again in Aug for Pleasanton. this time I towed my recently purchased teardrop to Pleasanton to camp in. (see antiquated forum for pic and info on the teardrop.) One thing I realized is the 327 just does not stay cool when cruising in traffic, even with a mechanical and electrical fan. I will need to do something about that over the winter.. 554.jpg

LAROKE, El Hueso and Tman like this.
  29. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I do not have an ebrake yet. I need to find a place to install a handle. now that the interior is set up, I can decide to either put one between the seats or next to the drivers door. (pull handle) or maybe even go with an electric version. since it is an automatic it is not a big issue for me (and I do not park on hills). but I would like one some day.

30. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Its now winter 2020, COVID has hit and so has the industry I work in. i have been saving up for some upgrades and decided I would go forth and get some done. Started with janking the 327 out again, this winter I plan to finally paint the firewall and correct the overheating issues. I have wanted to wood grain my wagon since I bought it. I wanted the new wood look but aging body. A good friend does paint work and is very talented. (Byers Custom Paint in Auburn WA). I did all the prep work of stripping and he did a quicky woodgrain treatment.. but thought a aged wood style would look best.

started with masking off the areas to not be touched.

564.jpg

Let the stripping begin.

571.jpg

since the tailgate had been previously stripped when the rust was repaired and put into primer, he did not need me to strip it. A while back I found a replacement upper gate for the original that has some rust. Got it stripped

579.jpg
    Drove it down to the shop,. all unecessary parts removed (took back roads to hide due to lack of safety gear..

595.jpg

40LUV and LAROKE like this.