Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Boones 53 wagon - #2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boones, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

wayfarer, it was a tough decision but I decided that to get it as low as I want running larger diameter tires I would need a notch.if it was a car I probably would have done a shorter one to safe limited trunk space, but since I had to go into the storage area and there is alot of room back there, what is a another few inches.

Still looking for a good tailgate, found one but the price was more than I thought a tailgate was worth.

2. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

after away from the project for two weeks while on a business trip, I got some time to work on the wagon again. Spent the day finishing up the 4 link install as well as notching the front frame to clear the steering rack. Next will be to install the front susp and then work on the rear airbag mounts. Nice thing about the wagon, the rear seat set up so the link will fit under it. (still have to build a cover for the links and rear notch..)

105.jpg

107.jpg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  3. post a few picture of tailgate!

4. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Here is the tailgate that came with it. It was basically removed with a can opener it looks iike. This is why I am looking for a solid replacement.

063.jpg

5. Looking good Ken,Have you found a replacement tail gate yet? HRP

6. wayfarer

wayfarer

Looking good, Ken! I'll be in Covington next weekend, but won't have a lot of time (we're coming over late Friday for a funeral on Saturday). If you're free Saturday morning, I'd love to come by and check it out. The offer still stands to pull patterns off my tailgate if you decide to try and fix yours.

7. that looks pretty bad! if it was a sdn del. i could fix you right up!

8. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

i have found a possible gate, it has some rust but not horrible. Did find a solid gate but the price was very expensive (more than I thought was reasonable). Just had a guy send me an email about a nice wagon he is parting out and the price is fair (just not sure why someone would part out a nice wagon), so trying to get more info to ensure it is not a scam.

9. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Here is my weekend update. Got the front susp installed and the car back on 2 wheels

114.jpg

Front susp at drive height

116.jpg

10. Ken,I know it's early in the build but have you thought about a color? HRP

11. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Danny, this year, it will not get touched (color) as I have some rust repair to do first in the back corners. I am undecided about the long range look. One side wants to add some woodgrain to the "woody" area of the body (middle) and ?? for color (body and roof the same or two tone) or do just do as I did the last and go two tone (no woodgrain) and either white roof/ solid bottom or similar color but darker roof (if I go with greens). As for potential colors in my head (red, green ,yellow for main body). I will probably put into a primer color with gloss white roof for a while until a final color is determined and just drive the wheels off it.

12. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Got the rear bag mounts installed, will final weld the lower brackets when I pull the rear out . I have set up the car to lay frame with a 28 inch tall tire, right now I have a 27" so I will run a spacer to adjust (set up in case I ever decide to run a larger rim/tire in the rear).

119.jpg

Rear in down position (mocked), I need to get axles installed

120.jpg

13. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

love the longroof!!

14. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

another quick update, tonight I got the motor mounts and tranny mount installed. Both are Walton Fabrication thou when using the Fatman Ultra low crossmember, you have to modify the motor mounts to (trim) and I have found raising them about an 1" and welding in works the best.

122.jpg

123.jpg

15. wayfarer

wayfarer

I have the Walton tranny mount and love it. Nice looking work.

16. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

looking great, nice work!

17. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

hit another milestone tonight. Got the motor and tranny installed. Decided to leave the firewall bare for the summer. but a good coating of Gibbs on it to protect it. Will do it right next winter when I pull this motor and put in the LS and overdrive I have waiting for it.

124.jpg

18. Looking great Ken. Way cool. I love those LS motors too. Ought to be a nice runner like the old wagon.

19. Ken,you are making some quick progress.looking great. HRP

20. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Old gash tank was dirty inside so I attempted to clean out old fuel. Reproduction tanks for wagons do not exist but I found a 55 chevy tank is similar (same size but different location for sending unit). 125.jpg After some reworking of the front face to gain some necessary clearance between rearend and tank 126.jpg
    I have got the tank to fit between the spare tire housing and rearend. Unfortunately during my light taps with a 5 lb hammer I tore the tank in 2 space areas (about a 1/8 long) so I had to weld the creases up.

127.jpg

wayfarer likes this.
  21. wayfarer

wayfarer

Is it just the camera angle or is the tank hanging way below the frame? Mine is nowhere near that far below the bottom of the frame. I'll snap some pics of that hitch and the rear wood/ trim we talked about last week.

22. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Its the angle, look at the spare tire area, its not that far below, plus the rear end is pushed up high (almost on top of the factory frame rails), well above anywhere it could be on a stock frame.

23. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Got my wiring kit in and started working on it Friday afterwork. After a long night I think I have 95% routed to the right areas and just need to start connecting. (its pull and zip tie, cut zip tie, reroute a better way, zip tie, cut and add other wires going in the same direction with another zip tie..

128.jpg

Also spent some time working on the gages ( will send to the Chrome shop to have the open areas brazed and it chromed like my first wagon , will probably get some engine turned aluminum cut for the backpanel rather than just scotch brite.

130.jpg

132.jpg
    [​IMG]

24. Ken,Speedway Motors offers machine turned sheets in different sizes. HRP

25. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Do it yourself with a wooden dowl and scotch brite pad on a drill press. DSC00571.JPG

26. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

with the fuse panel mounted dead center but high up under the dash, 134.jpg nothing funnier than laying under the dash running wire. Got the headlight swt, Ign swt and gages wired and everything else is in the proper place awaiting connection.

Does anyone know if water and Oil sending units are generic. The motor was in my 51 and I used VDO gages but the wagon is running SW. hate to pull the sending units if what is in there are going to work.

27. river1

river1

28. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Got the wiring finished up this week except for the headlights (need to install the front end.). Steering is complete but need to borrow a puller to yank the ugly late model steering wheel. Spent a few hrs tonight drilling out several broken bolts from the tailgate and lift gate area (wife actually came out to help).

137.jpg

138.jpg

Made a score this week while searching Craigslist, found a nice grill for a great price. the one that came with the car was in sad shape.. this one will be a good driver quality.

139.jpg

[​IMG]

29. nice grill! SHINEY!:cool: