Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bonneville world finals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kirsten, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Kirsten

Kirsten

I went to my first speed week this year and caught the fever. I know the world finals are coming up in Oct. and I'm curious to see how many people go back for this. The SCTA site says its like speed week but with less people. Anyone planning on going or have you been in the past?

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I have been there and plan to run the car this year again. Same deal. Almost no "Fans". Just racers. Like Speedweek was a few years ago.

3. 4 port Riley

4 port Riley

Why not come to World of Speed , September 16 thru 19, 2009? Same rules, same track, the only exception is you can run a street car in the 130 mph and 150 mph class. Look at www.saltflats.com . The Utah Salt Flats Racing Association has been putting on timed events on the salt for 35 years. This year we have over 200 entries, with many of the same cars as BNI, ECTA, events. World Finals is trickey with the weather.

4. we'll be there with a fresh C/GMR.

5. firingorder1

firingorder1

I'm going. I'll be two wheels short of a roadster but I'll be there if I get everything ready.

[​IMG][/IMG]

6. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I'll be there ;)

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

After WoS will be the Top Speed Shoot out. The really fast cars and Motorcyles running at a semi private meet. Free for "Fans" to watch I'm told. Rumor has Jesse James and the Hydrogen 'liner at one or the other to end the complaints about his "record". Given some room that car should be plenty more faster.

8. Kirsten

Kirsten

Sounds like WoS would be alot of fun. Really, any reason is a good reason to be out on the salt. Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't sure where else to look beside the SCTA. I'll go check out the saltflats site now...

9. A Boner

A Boner

"trickey with the weather"..........what does this mean........cold?... rain?... not hot enough to dry if it gets rained on?

10. Reverborama

Reverborama
    from Minnesota

Tricky with the weather means the last 3(?) World Finals have been rained out.

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I wouldn't call '07 rained out. There wetre 610 timed runs. And 38 records spread over 4 days. 7 new Two club members. 08 was rained out I think. along with 04, 05, and 06.

12. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

I am doing a job in LA and am suppose to be done on Tuesday so i am driving over to watch the racing on wednesday so i can drive back to fly out thursday then on friday I will be going to maxton. Needless to say I am going to have a very busy week.

13. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

It's a 700 mile one way trip from LA to Wendover. Are you sure you will have the time to execute this plan?

DW

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I wanna go badly... I just might.

15. Tim McNees and I will be there. Probably go out friday but its only a 100 mile drive for us, so I cant come up with a good excuse not to go.

16. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

Mapquest says its about 10 hours from ontario, Ca Let me know if its possible. I was planning to go north from Vegas and go thru nevada. If its 10 to 12 hours driving then its a go . if its much more than that I will just go to the Peterson and NHRA museums like I had initially planned
    Todd

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Would be cool to see Bonneville without the crowd. Can it get cooler???

18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

700 miles. Speed limit is 75 through most of Nevada. Math works out if you don't fool around.

19. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

which way do most of you Cali guys drive up. Do you go thru salt lake or go thru Nevada ??? because this is very doable for me.

20. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Damn, the salt bug bit you hard, didn't it? :)

21. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

so cal to vegas to ely to wendover.

22. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

23. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

Well I have my rental car booked and its only 600 miles each way so it will be a go. If someone wants to go for a quick road trip to the holy land of speed give me a holler. I will be leaving to go back around 6 pm on wednesday.

24. I'll be there .
    Just made reservations at Best Western .
    I camped at the bend for Speed Week ... it was O.K. ... but somewhere in the late night / wee hours or morn. , I wanted to go find the "big bang" fireworks guys and beat them with a stick ... every night .

25. Kirsten

Kirsten

You might double check that. I'm near Carson City, NV. and can take the 80 all the way and it takes me around 6 hours. My folks live in Redlands, CA. and that is a 7-8 hour drive from here so 10 hrs from Ontario to Wendover would be a damn quick trip!

26. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I make it from San Mateo to Wendover in about 11 hours if there is no or little construction along the way. It,s 632 miles from my garage door to the 12 turn off. I stop once in Winnamuca for fuel and a berger. Cruse on 70 mph after Sparks, towing a trailer. It.s the stops that kill you. And the more cars in a group the longer it will take. Go by your self and just keep rolling.

27. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

I will be keeping the stops to a minimum.

28. agentwaldo

agentwaldo
    from Ventura

The road from just outside Vegas, north to Wendover, thru Ely and various small villages is a pretty quick ride if you stay after it[ no lolly-gagging, just fuel and go]; we have made it from the Woodland Hills area to Wendover in 10-11 hrs ; depending on traffic conditions around Vegas, and Ontario is a lot closer .than Woodland Hills. The real problem is going thru Vegas, you can also go thru Bishop[up 395] then take the road east to Ely [ by way of Tonopah] ,then north to Wendover on the same road you would take if you went thru Vegas; just don't have to worry about the Vegas traffic. Check the travel services for time/distance, it is a much less stressful drive!.........Waldo

29. Kirsten

Kirsten

I'll be there Thursday night then leaving sometime on Sat. Hope to meet some of you there.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  30. DRD57

DRD57

SoCal through Vegas and then up through Nevada is the quickest way. For a 30 mile (or so) shortcut go up through Lund and then through Ely.

If you take 395 through Bishop there are a bunch of small towns that you have to slow down for.