The Jalopy Journal
Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Salt Flats Speed Shop, Oct 17, 2009.
Yea....what he said! ^^^^^
Sorry everyone that there hasn't been many updates lately. I took on a few side jobs that made me push back working on the sedan. But now most of them are done so I plan on getting back on block sanding the body. But even then there isn't much to take pictures of till its painted so bare with me
The plan is to get the body, doors, hood, grill, and roof painted. Then all thats left is finishing up the chassis which unfortunately takes more money which I don't have much of at the moment. 32' fords are expensive!!!!!
there...fixed that fer yas!
What a beaut in bare metal! The car's gonna look so slick and sharp in paint though too. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Whats the story on the old T floating around in some backgrounds of photos?
Any progress on the '32 Chris?
I hope this should be the last blocking session on the body. The last blocking session went well and almost everything blocked out perfect. I just had to touch up a couple areas and this should be the final blocking. Then its on to the doors, hood and grill. (Ive got one more cool modification on the hood to do that you guys will like).
Here are some more shots. I sprayed the car last night.
looks real good with some color on it
I got the doors, hood tops, and grill in primer last night. They are all pretty straight so it shouldnt take long to get them all blocked out.
Thanks for the update. Just be patience.... the economy is getting better and the bucks will come rolling in soon.
So cool Chris! Keep us updated!
I worked last night on fixing the firewall. The feet needed some pieces made where they mount, and the center of the firewall needed work where it fit around the engine. I had some original pieces that I spliced in. It only had a couple extra holes that I fixed. Now its ready for bodywork.
I never really liked the look of the modern tie rods that I had on the end of the wishbones, and the steering rod. So my buddy Brent gave me some model a tie rod ends and a model a drag link. So I cut the ends off of the drag link and had them threaded to fit in the ends of my wishbones. Then I had to put in a new tapered plug that extended away from the frame a little bit so that the end of the tie rod wouldn't hit the frame. Now it looks so much better and more old school. Kind of looks like it just floats there on the end.
That's very cool. Threading them is something I haven't seen done before.
I like the rod ends.
Good to see this build back at the top. I love this car.
I'm going to go a head and steal that haha!! great work!
Ya I really think they look so much better. And your more that welcome to use the idea.
Tonight I got the front shocks mounted and the dogbones cut down to size. It really works well and with them mounted inside the frame looks really clean from the outside.
Im also working on the rear shocks. The shock its self is mounted and the dogbone is cut down, I just need to make the bracket to mount it to the axle.
Nice sedan build. Looks sweet guys !
I am doing a very similar shock setup on my truck using Armstrong shocks. How important do you think it is to have the shock arm parallel to the split wishbone? Or does the shaft from the shock need to be perpendicular to the Wishbone? Or does it matter?
BTW...I really like your work!
The important thing I made sure of was that the dogbone link was straight up and down. That way when it is pushed up and pulled down its not wanting to twist it. Other than that I think you are fine to have the shock in another angle than the wishbones cause the only thing your dealing with is the up and down motion not any left to right, and the shock link has enough play to it that when one side lifts up it can move around accordingly.
this is really looking good, thanks for sharing.
I agree, wish I had though of it!
I'm running a similar setup for the front wishbone/tierod end. For mine, I have some internally threaded (11/16-24) 28-34 tierod ends. I drew up a bung, and had a buddy machine them for me. I picked up some of those tapered 7 deg bungs from Speedway for the frame, but those were too deep - hardly one tread on the nut would engage. I ended up using some 7 deg tapered pieces from spindles that had the steering arms cut off.
Anyway - here's the setup. If anyone is interested in the drawing for the wishbone bung, let me know.
Its not the first thing that I have OVERthunk!
I got an tachometer from a flathead guy in Washington. I'm curious to see if you guys have any info on it.
Post flathead era!
Separate names with a comma.