Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bonneville styled 1932 tudor build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Salt Flats Speed Shop, Oct 17, 2009.

1. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

The same thing happened early on in my build where the rear axle was tucked in too much...we put 1.5" wheel spacers on the rear and...you can see the difference.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I aggree that it really helped the rear of your car. Expecially where you are running skinny tires.

But on mine where I have wide rubber it looks wierd to have it out anymore. The front tires center to center measure 58", and the rear's measure 59 1/2".

If you look straight on you can tell that the rear's have a wider center.

Here is a picture straight on

[​IMG]

Here is a picture from the side as it is now.

[​IMG]

Here is a picture with it spaced 1" away. Doesn't look good. To me it "visually" makes it look weak.

[​IMG]

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

After looking at your straight on pic, you're right, I can see that the tire placement isn't what's throwing me...it's the width of the wheel itself that needs to be wider. It looks like it's too narrow and the tire is sucking in, creating an optical illusion that the tire is too close to the body.

4. thequietwon

thequietwon

Not to jump in on a great build thread, but Larry...How wide was the rear in your 3w? Just curious....
    By the way, I agree that the rear tires on the sedan look a little "punk" on those narrower rims. I have been taking notes watching this thread & really appreciate your thorough documentation of the build...amazing work, too...
    Sam

5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I found out after the fact that the builder ordered the wrong width rear...a 53" wide rear when it should have been a 56" width. That's why we had to use the spacers.

6. KENDEUCE

KENDEUCE

you said you need a stock dash. Here's mine. Haneline made the engine turned panel and I welded bolts to back side of dash.

IMG_0969.JPG

IMG_0971.JPG

7. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

That insert looks great!!!

Im trying to go for more of a barn find look with this car so im trying to find original parts that are a little crusty.

8. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I made a panel tonight that goes under the radiator to the bottom of the grill. My plan is to paint the radiator and the new panel underneath black, and have the v8 symbol go over top both of them to make it all flow.

Also got the piece behind the passenger door in the side window welded in place. Ive almost got all the sheet metal issues worked out. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. hechtspeed

hechtspeed

Looks awesome! Can't wait to hear that hot flatty fire up too! Gonna be a top hot rod for sure! Break necks as the kids say these days! haha I can't wait to see jaws drop when they find out a 20 something kid built this thing!

10. -Brent-

-Brent-

It's really coming together nicely, Chris.

11. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

Excellent Craftsmanship, fune watching your work progress Chris!!.

12. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

Ive been working on ods and end things. I got my schroeder steering ordered. Got my motor mounts being laser cut. And I worked out the dents on the quarter panels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. PoPo

PoPo

love this build, my only question is will there be enough room for the axle to move (upward) below that grille. I love the look without the front horns being there. I am not trying to be rude just learning as I watch.

14. -Brent-

-Brent-

What about the other Schroeder steering set-up? Could they've re-set that up for you? That sucks if not.

15. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Looking excellent, Enjoying the build :)

16. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I plan on making some bump stops that prevent the axle from hitting the sides of the grill. It will be tight but im just going to have to live with it hitting the bump stops every once in a while cause I really want the front down where it is. :)

17. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I talked to them there at schroeder racing. They were super nice about it over the phone. I sent back the whole unit, and the will put a longer sector side on it. Im just hoping that the will just switch the one that is on it for the new one. But I really have no other options if they wont. I may just have to bite the bullet and pay for the new one. Time will tell.

18. brady1929

brady1929

i wish i had enough money to send you my 32 5w! you are a true craftsman!

19. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I would love to have another 32' in the shop!! Can never have to many in one building.

Some more updates.
    I got the inner doors back together so the doors are done.
    I got the hood tops blasted so they are ready to put louvers in.
    I made the top brace that connects the center crossmember over the transmission.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Shoulda used the 25 louver hood, just to further piss off the purests! Car is getting better every day.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  21. fef100

fef100

Craftsmanship looks great, on the deuce and the 356 in the background. I wasn't sold on the chop when you first started talking about it, but now I think you did the right thing. The car is now a HOT ROD.

Keep up the good work.

22. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

That looks mean keep it up brother !!!

23. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

If I could ever sell my vicky then I could afford to use the 25 louver hood. I would like to use it but I really ned the money.

24. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

Im starting on the louver portion of the car. Im using a round style 3" die. I plan on running 3 rows in the hood almost 43 per hood top. And then 9 rows in the roof with 428 louvers total in the roof. So over 500 louvers total :)

Im going to make the roof insert out of aluminum cause it will be bolted in. So I got the blank cut and tomorrow the rolling starts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  25. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Can't wait to see it punched full of louvers!

26. Lookin real nice. I need those hubcaps! Beautiful!

27. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

So I got the roof insert rolled out this morning. I defiantly wasn't ready for how much this improved the look of the car. It blew me away how much lower it made the car feel, and how much more intimidating. It will be sweet to see it full of over 300 louvers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Looking great, man... Keep it up!!

Malcolm

29. WOW!! The roof insert makes a huge difference! This thing is going to be bad ass!!

30. Great build. I have a soft spot in me for 32 Sedans. Yours is looking like it will be a great one. Your metal skills are truly impressive as well.

I also like you framing the car against the Porsche on the rotisserie, looks cool.

I would love to stop by when I am out for the races this year, if that is OK. Don't know if you are aiming to have it done by then, be cool to see in person.

MRAK