Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bonneville styled 1932 tudor build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Salt Flats Speed Shop, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

Ive been waiting on posting this until I was able to get a mockup.

First off a little background. I was building the 32' pickup as my shop project. But my dad talked me out of the cab and bed, and so I decided to build this sedan instead :)

This 32' 5 window is basically the look i am going for. The only things different is that I want the axle in the same location as stock, which will raise the front end up. And I want a little more of a gap between the top of the rear tire and the wheel well opening.

[​IMG]

The sedan will be choped around 5 1/2'' in the front and less in the back, maybe 4 1/2''.

I will remove the front frame horns and narrow it to make the sides of the frame flush with the hood and grill.

I have a 47' banjo that has a model a spring, that eventually I will put in a quick change.

It will be running 40' ford rims and firestone dirt track tires.

Stock hood will have louvers in the tops.

I will run the 32' pickup grill (just to be different).

It will have a schroeder steering box.

The motor is an 8 BA with a merc crank, full race cam, dome pistons, edellbrock heads, offenhouser two carb intake. Really a crazy built flathead. I will have a 5 speed trans behind it.

Hope you all enjoy this build, I know I am super excited to get it started!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a photo shop picture that I did of what the stance and chop will look like:

[​IMG]

The car is really solid. It had layed on the passenger side so the floor is almost perfect. But there are some issues in the roof. If anyone has any sections of the passenger roof. I need from the top of the cowl back, basically through the middle of the windows.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
    AHotRod likes this.
  2. Deuce-Merchant

Deuce-Merchant
    from BC Canada

Wow Chris
    It looks so different in your shop then it did in mine, I'm glad it got a good home and I will follow the build all the way through.
    Looks great.

Kelly

3. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Holly crap, that five window in the picture makes me want to rip mine apart and re-build it into that...

Good luck on the sedan, I really like that profile.

I also like your new shop logo. cool

4. hvychvy

hvychvy

Looks awesome,reminds me of this one a little.

Attached Files:

5. I like the looks of the chopped and channeled Bonneville cars. I had the same idea, and inspiration when I put my chevy together last winter. [​IMG]

6. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I got the front horns trimmed off just to get the frame down where I want it.

I also did some rough photoshop chops. I know I want to go 5 1/2" in the front. But im not sure if I want to go 5 1/2" in the back, or take less out of the back and get the roof to have a rake to it.

See what you guys think and let me know what you like best.

I re-did the pictures to get them a little more accurate. So guys check it out again and let me know. I have pictures of adding in the roof, and of leaning the posts. So let me know which chop in inches, and wither you like adding in the roof or leaning the posts.

This first picture is 5 1/2" straight across with adding in the roof.

[​IMG]

This is 5 1/2" straight across with the post leaned:

[​IMG]

This next one is 5 1/2" in the front and 4 1/2" in the back with adding in the roof.

[​IMG]

This one is 5 1/2" in the front and 4 1/2" in the rear with the posts leaned

[​IMG]

And this last one is 5 1/2" in the front and 3 1/2" in the back with adding in the roof.

[​IMG]

This one is 5 1/2" in the front and 3 1/2" in the rear with the posts leaned.

[​IMG]

This one is what it will look like from the front with 5 1/2".

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  7. Dig them Tudors. Never seen that coupe picture before? I say go 6" on the chop and shorten up the rear qtr window area, they get looking too long when they are chopped. Use the door as a reference for proportion.

8. GearHead614

GearHead614

i say 5 1/2 staright across look killer, its gonna be a wicked peice of Iron

9. This is a build I would like to do one day almost to a T...I plan on a different drivetrain. This one should pan out pretty awesome. For what it's worth, I'd chop it 5 1/2 front and back. The body and all already will have a good rake with the way you've mocked up the stance. Then if you're looking for addtional rake in the roofline, lay back the windshield pillars similar to the one's in the coupe picture in your first post. Kevin Lee's coupe is similar in that his windshield is layed back. Just my 2 cents. I look forward to seeing the rest of this build! Good Luck!

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Love the plan!!! You are always cooking up some good shit. I hope I can see this one in paint before you try to sell it haha!!!!!

More inspiration...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those Rolling bones fellers have a good eye for proportion I think.

11. tinmann

tinmann

Cool lookin' project. Be very careful, that's Canadian tin you're working with there.

12. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

I like the 2nd one best.

This next one is 5 1/2" in the front and 4 1/2" in the back.

13. Deu55

Deu55

2nd one for me too,thats one cool project...

14. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I think personally I'm leaning towards the 5 1/2" in the front and 4 1/2" in the back. I think for me with it straight across the rear windows looks smaller to the eye than the front cause of how round it is coming from the top down.

Ive got some work to do on the top to fix all the issues. So once I get all those issues fixed i'll do another photoshop picture and see if anything changes.

15. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

I prefer the angled chop rather than the straight 5 1/2 front and rear.Not sure which one I like best though!
    Very cool,good luck with the build.

16. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

17. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

cool project. i'm doing sort of the same thing but with a '29 tudor. slammed, raked, chopped, pinched, boobed, and fast.

18. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

I'm diggin the sedan as well as that great fabrication table!

19. doctorZ

doctorZ

i dig the change. i like the sedan more than the truck, but i just love sedans in general so im kinda biased ...

20. Nice, I've always liked Tudors. I really need to stop by your shop someday...

21. retromotors

retromotors

Boobed .....??:eek:

22. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

5 1/2" in front and 4 1/2" in the back for sure. Perfect chop and the traditional evil look! Can't go wrong with this combo...

23. dudley32

dudley32

I personaly like the straight cut...because of the stance of the car
    I also like it low and more radical..like the 6 inch chop...
    I mean you're going for Bonneville...right..?

24. freebird101

freebird101

looks cool keep it up

25. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I like the 5 1/2 and 4 1/2. The top looks too flat without the angle. I don't know what Varni's is but it has the look of a racer. Don't fill the top use the louvered insert.

26. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

5 1/2 straight across.

It's gonna look bad!!!!

27. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

Too add more salt to the wound....Would you consider a slight rake to the A pillar regardless of a straight or angle chop? Too me it just adds a sense of speed standing still.

28. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

Here's a 34' with a 3" straight across with a 10 degree lean over stock on the A pillar.

Attached Files:

29. I'm with you the 5 1/2" chop all around looks like the rear window opening is smaller.The 3 1/2" in the rear would be something to think about the rake of that chop looks good.

30. like the photoshop pics. it's gonna be cool