Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Bonneville Speedweek 2021 Official Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tman, Feb 17, 2021.

1. I may have mentioned this before but Bonneville is on my bucket list.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Johnboy34, Jet96, Boneyard51 and 2 others like this.
  2. "Wally"

"Wally"

Look forward to meeting on the "Salt", we'll crack a cold one!

3. trollst

trollst

So, meet me, we'll head down together.....

4. It is much more than a bucket list thing once you go.

5. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always thought that this was the coolest machine to run at Bonneville.
    DSC_4668 (2).JPG

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    Gizzy, Jet96, 40two and 10 others like this.
  6. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

for a newbie, where is the bend and what kind of camping?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. gonzo

gonzo

The bend is the closest camping available to the salt, it's just at the end of the access road that leads to the flats. I've never personally camped there but I recall it was primitive. No showers or running water, just portable toilets. I believe it's free.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  8. Yes, to all of the above ! Crow, P/R Rep. for "The Bend in the Road" gang. Any questions I can help with, please let me know !

9. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The bend is great! unless it's wet then it's a nightmare! It's flat and there are "Honeybuckets" all around. You can shower at the truck stop just before the bend for $10. Lots of great people really fun! If it starts to rain GET OUT! the ground is like a combination of snot and grease when it gets wet. I spilled a beer and nearly did an endo when I stepped in it. Still worth it though. Make sure to take in the car show at the Nugget every night!

10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

D65822FF-44DC-4365-99C6-E18E1B3D0778.jpeg 84AC820E-E257-4EEF-8336-FA1C146C5F67.jpeg CB40887B-CED8-4716-964D-8176A4A18FB9.jpeg A55DF92D-067D-4481-9249-25FF2408E807.jpeg
    Here are some pictures of us at the “ Bend”. Huge amount of area to camp. We were lucky last year, no rain, mild temperatures, very nice! But you will need a vehicle of some sort to get to the race track. From the far end of the Bend to the far end of the track is several miles! Way more than this old man could walk. You will need a Utah ATV sticker to put on your ATV. You need to get this before you get to Bonneville. We got ours right outside of SLC , at a convenient store. We were never checked at Bonneville for it, but I would recommend getting one. I read the rules of Utah on all the things you needed, such as title or proof of ownership etc, which I don’t have, but all they asked for was the VIN and my DL. I actually got a sticker for my friends Kawasaki Mule as it was first out in my trailer and they didn’t even see the Mule! But if you have proof of ownership of your ATV or UTV , bring it.
    At the Bend , you can camp kinda out of the way, like we did, or get in a more crowded area. If I go next year I would camp closer to the gates to the track. Take your time and check out ALL of the Bends camping area. Then select your place. We choose with out looking it all over, but we were set up, so we didn’t move. Also if you have a choice bring your aggressive ATV , as there are a lot of Mountian trails accessible from the Bend! A great diversion after several days racing! You can see the mountains and the Mule in my pictures! ( and the bugs on my windshield!). Lots of trails! Just my vast experience of one year!

Bones

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  11. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

That sounds like more incentive to not spill your beer

12. Is Bonneville going to happen this year? HRP

loudbang likes this.
  13. yes sir, it happened last year too. If all goes well ill be driving the 39 in my avatar cross country with my pals from NC to head out for speed week.

14. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Didn't spill much much but still made it slippery.
    Not a fancy rig but it suited our needs! vin - 1 (2).jpg

dwollam, Jet96, 40two and 10 others like this.
  15. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

The best are “Those” people! You know who I’m talking about. That guy who doesn’t get over when the road is being turned into one lane till the very end and then wants to squeeze into traffic even though everybody else moved over a mile ago...
    Be warned, if you decide to drive around the line of people backed up at Land’s End and that nice smooth looking ground suddenly turns into quicksand, don’t be surprised when nobody helps pull you out! Don’t be one of “Those” people!

Jet96, stillrunners, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  16. Good point. A general rule is DO NOT drive where other have not! Either on the mud flats or on the fringes of the salt. Every year somebody goes exploring to the West of the pits and ends up axle deep in muck

17. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife and I were there in October 2001. We were supposed to go in September that year, but we all know what happened. Was more cool then it looks! Hope to get back there one day. Gene.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And you can see it at the Henry Ford Museum.

19. When you see the car in person you can’t help but close your eyes and try to imagine what four Chrysler Hemis sound like at full throttle.

20. fegsta

fegsta

I saw the summers brothers golden rod at show over here in England. What a machine. I will post pics when I can.

Sent from my KOB-L09 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  21. fegsta

fegsta

I'd love to get back over, made it 2019 and enjoyed every minute, despite the weather. Never saw a run. But not sure yet how are travelling will be. At the min we have to isolate in a hotel on return. This would make it far to expensive a trip. But watching with hope that things will change.

Sent from my KOB-L09 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Planning on making the trip with the Rolling Bones Circus as always. Will be driving my deuce 3 window . Got a room at the Nugget

So-cal Tex, Jet96, pprather and 5 others like this.
  23. glonco

glonco
    from monte lake

went a few times now and still want to go again. its hard to explain cars at the start line, the pits. oh i love the pits, and the speed on the long coarse. just wicked to see in person..

gonzo and loudbang like this.
  24. You guys always blast South of us on 80. We dont hit it until Rawlins.

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and gonzo like this.
  25. I’ll see you on the way! Will be meeting up on the way as well!

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Tman like this.
  26. Hope to see the sedan!

27. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

BE2AF370-42B2-4899-AE39-0B21751D21D4.jpeg EE445A21-3A47-42F2-B8FB-DDB1E3F41C09.jpeg We have high hopes of blowing cobwebs off of this and going through it for 2022. I haven’t been yet but have the opportunity to help with this project

28. May be wet from what the forecast shows, but then what do they know. Last year was as good as it gets, salt was excellent. Sure the entries and crowd were down but a great time was had by all who went.
    COVID be damned. Of course you can always wear a mask...
    I’m sure I’ll be there again, hopefully I’ll have my new A ready enough for the drive.