Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bonneville Rookie needs some advice on dates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lobucrod, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Looks like we may be finally planning a trip to the holy grail of speed. I see on their schedule that Speed Week is in August and the World Finals are in Oct. When is the best time to go to Bonneville for a first timer to get the best bang for his bucks?

2. Cshabang

Cshabang

Ive only gone to the August events, its gonna throw you for a loop..Prepare to be in awe.

3. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

Speed Week! EVERYONE is there.

4. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

Good luck finding a room at this late date, and if you do be prepared to PAY for it.
    Speed week is good but you might look into Mike Cooks shootout or the USFRA's meet. The crowd will be a lot smaller.

Blind Elwood

5. WoS later in the year is a little less crowded. A bunch of us will be at Speedweek camping.

6. Motornoggin1

Motornoggin1

My first time last year at World Finals. Nice weather (slightly damp, but...). Hotel had plenty of room with regular rates. It wasn't hot, it wasn't cold. Folks had plenty of time to talk, tech area was accesable Pits had plenty of action that could be seen easily without too much time. It was a blast!

7. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

8. Buzznut

Buzznut

Speed Week for sure. I've been 8 times and will likely go at least that many more times before I die. If I don't make it these next two years I will DEFINITELY make the 65th Anniversary n 2013...God willing.

9. cracker head

cracker head

Speed week in August is the "best bang for your buck", LOTS of cars and people to look at.

Prepare to be fucking amazed......

10. firingorder1

firingorder1

For quantity and quality SpeedWeek is the one. WF hasn't quite as many entries but has the quality the same as SpeedWeek.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Speedweek if you want to be in on the party and be there early if you want to see the rods that the spectators drive there as a lot of them go in on Saturday and Sunday to pose and then head home on Monday. The actual racing is usually good all week but as cars break or the owners feel that they did everything they could this year they tend to head home a few at a time.
    Don't take anyone along (female or male ) who gets Bored or whiny as it is usually several minutes between runs, especially on the long track and some people don't do well with the wait. Pack along a cb radio if you still have one so you can listen in on what is gong along along with listening to them on the FM (I think) radio. It's best to pack along a portable radio and extra batteries to save on the vehicle battery. I had to get a push start from a Ford Maverick in 1998.

12. bryan6902

bryan6902

1ooo% agree! Plan on being there right away on Saturday morning. The times I went things were usually pretty well cleared out by Thursday afternoon. So thats when I left, nice to be home for a day or 2 before going back to work!