Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Bonneville Record Car / NEED HELP!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hyfire, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Hugh's_Hornet

Hugh's_Hornet

It looks self-energizing to me. That appears to be the right front brake. The drum would rotate clockwise, so the action of the brake shoes dragging on the drum would tend to "pull" the brake shoes outward toward the drum, therefore making them self-energizing.

2. I'm all for not messing with historical pieces like this, but that tag should be mounted. It's integral to the history of the car.

3. servi53

servi53

mounted inside the glovebox sounds like a great idea, open it and see it anytime and it won't walk away when you're not paying attention

4. Hyfire

Hyfire

5. TomH

TomH

Now you have the right tool. Looks new, no hammer marks!!

6. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

It just has a little bonneville lok-tite on it !

7. Hyfire

Hyfire

8. coryw

coryw
    from Omaha, NE

It is definitely an 8-3/4" mopar rear. The center section is 1957-1964 based on the part number. The tapered axles also put it between 1957-1964 from what I'm reading. Not sure if it is possible to narrow it down any more than that.

9. jhaas63

jhaas63

It is nothing short of amazing you found this car. This thread is awesome.

10. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

Well...I just spent the last couple hours reading this thread and looking at all the pictures and can't think of a better use of my time!!! What a GREAT story and a FABULOUS car. Always been a MoPar guy, my dad was with Chrysler Corp. 15+ yrs, I never really was a land speed record guy, but what a great piece of history this is. Thanks for sharing all this.

11. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

this is just awesome thank you for everyone that has mosted history and hyfire thanks for digging it up

12. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Up to 59 or 60, Mopar still used the drum on the trans for the e-brake, the axle mounted e-brakes and the tapered axle should place the rear axle in the 61-64 group. Gene

13. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I'm kinda curious, when did Chrysler Corp. start using self-adjusting brakes? Might narrow down the brake assembly a bit.

14. TomH

TomH

Look closer.........not self adjusting.

Interesting………. the rear brakes are self energizing and the fronts are not.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  15. And they appear to have metalic linings.

16. Hyfire

Hyfire

I haven't found a reference for the cylinder part number... but the hub seal is cross referencing to a 1963 Polara w/413. I'm not sure if they are 10" or 11", but I'm taking them into the local shop which stocks the 10" to compare.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  17. Hyfire

Hyfire

Here goes... They are 11"x3" wide.

They are listed for 426 cu. in. cars and the Police/Taxi Package. I'll try the later mauscle car supply shops.

18. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Never said they were, Tom. Thought they might have been using them by 1964.

19. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm pretty sure those fronts are self-energizing.

I've got a 56 New Yorker, the Mopar Service manual describes the front brakes as self-energizing, and they are identical to the brakes shown in the picture in post #381.

20. TomH

TomH

Your right.........sorry.

I don't see how they can be, there are two separate wheel cylinders. Self-energizing means the front shoe grabs the drum and pushes the back shoe into the drum. It uses the forward motion of the vehicle to push the back shoe into the drum. Does that make sense??

21. They are Lakewood Centerplane 12" X 2.5"giving 251 sq. inches of contact surface. The front brakes have dual wheel cylinders where as the rears have just the one. On a side note the California Highway Patrol Dodges had the same brakes except the rear breaks were modified with two wheel cylinders. The 1956 Dodge Pursuit held the record for the quickest stopping at 28 ft/sec squared until Mercedes Benz took it away in the mid seventies with one of their AMG models at 33 ft/sec squared.

22. SimonSez

SimonSez

What you are talking about here is normally called duo-servo.

The fronts brakes shown above are definitely self-energizing - each shoe is acting as a leading shoe and self energizes itself when the car is moving forwards. They just don't transfer the energy to the other shoe like a duo-servo setup.

23. Hyfire

Hyfire

24. froghawk

froghawk

Hope the empty garage means you're out driving around and not that you sold it!

25. Hyfire

Hyfire

Thought this video would be a good way to close out this thread!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2013
    HEMI32 likes this.
  26. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

27. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Inspiring....

28. Dude you my friend are amazing for all of your efforts to get this baby back going. :cool: I just read most of this thread and I am truly amazed. Norm would be proud for sure :) Keep this thread going for sure :cool: I have a ton of old car magazines some obscure, so I'll check them out for any additional coverage you may not have on this baby. Subscribed

29. Close out this thread? Shit, at least wash it and then close it out! hahahaha!

Ok, just kidding... keep this baby going. Such a GREAT story!

Sam