Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bonneville Record Breaker

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 25, 2008.

1. r5duecento

r5duecento
    from Irwin, PA

I am the owner of the Granatelli Avanti that is represented in the film "Bonneville Record Breaker" that set 29 Land Speed Records on the Bonneville Salt Flats and one at Jean, NV. in 1962 and was later modified to the R5 Due Cento Avanti which ran at Bonneville in 1963 and went 198 mph. on wet salt. Unfortunately it did not have the opportunity to return to Bonneville, as Studebaker announced that it was going out of the car business, therefore it did not get a chance to run the 200+ mph it was capable of.

I am in the process of restoring this car and would apprecitate hearing from anyone who was there during the 1962 & 1963 runs. Any info, pictures, films, memories, comments would be greatly appreciated.

Dick Bennett
    [email protected]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  2. did any one mention those early 62's as all of them came with disk brakes - beat the vette to production...and how long did some of the records stand - into the 1990's...guess I'm at the low end of the pole with just an R1 powered car - but it runs strong....thanks Ryan for posting....:cool:

3. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

Dick,

I was just going to email you this thread but am happy to see you found it already.

Tom

4. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

Here is a record set with an Avanti at the 2009 Speedweek event.

Classic Blown Gas Altered - /CBGALT
    D Due Cento J. Lange 08/09 223.238

DW