Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Bonneville racers, driving in the pits question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CG, Aug 3, 2016.

1. I did look on the SCTA website, but was unable to find what I was looking for. I know the rules have really tightened over the last few seasons (when they were running) over what can and cant be driven in the pits for running around.

I do have a HAMB racer Ill be hooking up with to be a part of his crew, he is unsure of what the rules are for this since its not something he ever partakes in. I do think though the first step is being a part of a race crew.

It seems every year I walk close to a zillion miles when I'm at Speed Week. And when I want to go down to the starting line I have to drive my car. This year I was thinking about bringing down my Cycle Car. Its very small, one person, barely, as long as I tuck in my gut haha. It resembles a 1920's race car. I thought it would be perfect for touring through the pits, and driving down the viewing area line to the start.. I know there are lots of the four wheeler off road type things that roll through the pits as members of race teams. Seems as long as I'm part of a crew I should be able to do this.

If you know the answer to this I would appreciate your insights.

Mark

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I would ask the SCTA themselves. My truck has a pit pass sticker on it. I think that is what they want.

3. Im not a member, Ill have to check the site to see if there is a place to ask questions. Thanks.

4. Pic of your cycle car?Sounds cool.

5. pontman

pontman

Go to the SCTA where they tech the cars, tell them you are a crew member and the car number. You should get a participant sticker to put on your window and your good to go!

6. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

The BLM has started coming through the event looking for things like open/glass containers, DUI`s etc, and they are ticketing underage/no helmet ATV riders, and checking for Off Road permits. Not sure where that would put your cycle car. If you look on the SCTA website, there is a long blurb there about what is advised.....Hope to see you there.....

stillrunners likes this.
  7. Here is a picture of my grand daughter (11) sitting in it. Powered by a Honda 6.5 horse. I didn't build this, my uncle did. I guess they have races and things with them. Ive only driven it at his house. Still need to get it home. If we have fun with it we are going to build another one.

Anyway I thought it would be fun to tool around the salt flats with it. It isn't loud and obnoxious, or terribly fast lol.

number 30.jpg

8. Now that is a sharp little speedster.

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. gas pumper

gas pumper

I know go karts are not allowed because of being too low and almost invisible because of that. You don't have that problem, cool car. We need the pit stickers for golf carts and a 4 wheeler. But they only cost 10 bucks each.

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

if you are able to use it on the Salt be sure to tear it apart when you get home and clean out any salt that will end up everywhere

The Arizona Old Crow likes this.
  11. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

We use to spray down the sprint car down with baby oil to keep the mud from sticking

12. Yeah Ill tear it down and clean it up when I get home.

I think Ive been to Speed Week around 10 times now. What I started doing was to go to the dollar store and grab a bunch of cans of their version of Pam. I spray the underside of my car pretty liberally. It really helps the salt wash out when I have the sprinkler under the car at home. Plus I think because Washington state has a fair amount of rain, it really helps clean out all that salt too. Never had any weird rust problems on anything Ive driven down there.

So hopefully I can get one of those pit stickers gas pumper was talking about. Not sure how to go about getting that yet. I'm assuming you get them down there?

13. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Call it a Pit Vehicle/golf cart and get a pit pass
    And be careful of the areas outside the courses, the courses are good with salt but the 'roads'' have the salt-dirt-salt from last years rains, from what I hear.
    It's gonna be GREAT!

14. Mike Moreau

Mike Moreau

As Kiwi Tinbender said, the BLM has been cracking down. The SCTA will require a pit sticker on your windshield if you have one ( visible on the car if not, I guess). The BLM requires an off road permit, either from Utah (expensive) or your home state. Utah requires a lot of documentation on your off road vehicle. In my case (Michigan) is more worried about the $15 bucks and all you have to do is show your driver's license. Compare your home state costs and requirements with Utah's and take the path of least resistance. Enjoy your Speedweek.

15. X2 on Mike's advice that you need a state-issued off-road registration type sticker. Or a street licensed reg, such as for a smaller motorcycle. BLM will accept your home state, or UT of course. For your jr speedster, an off-road reg sticker is needed.

Then you need the SCTA pit pass sticker, but that is the easy part.

16. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

The last news letter i got from BNI reads under pit area, Only vehicles with an official Crsew pass on the windshield are allowed in the pit area and on course access roads."Go Kart" and other such vehicles are prohibited in the pits. Any one driving in the pit area must be a licensed driver.

17. Southfork

Southfork

Whatever you do, when driving between the pit area and the Speedway course starting lines, stay on the marked driving lanes. I've seen people who ought to know better DRIVE ACROSS the Speedway courses when racing was under way!!! That's the way to get somebody killed! Pay Attention to what you are doing if you are driving vehicle out in the speedway area.

18. Ive been to Speed Week many times and have seen a lot of idiot moves for sure. Im very aware of course rules, and places to avoid so as not to get stuck like Ol Boyd did several years back lol ... Um May he RIP.

Starting to sound like I'm going to need more than just a simple sticker for the car now.
    I don't want to bring it down in my van if I wont be able to drive it around. It will be cheaper to bomb down in my Scion XB.

I appreciate everyone's input ... thanks!

19. pontman

pontman

Reread your first post after seeing the car you planned to take down. BLM fun police are probably going to shut you down on that. Cool ass little car no less! Also noticed your in Monroe, WA. so hello neighbor, I'm in Arlington, WA.