Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Bonneville Pit Road Accident

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed Gems, Aug 16, 2017.

1. deucemac, you are so right as to the track and road conditions being very bad..I have been going for many years now and have never seen them as bad as this year. The road over by the dike to the short course was almost to much to try and drive a hot rod over it. I made one trip in my deuce and never drove it there after that.

els and deucemac like this.
  2. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

The speed limit I understand is 55 on that road but how can you enforce it? Someone pulls on or off looking for a smoother way and it's too late for both running fast. very sad.

fms427 and els like this.
  3. Sad news indeed. Thoughts and prayers out to all involved.

els, olscrounger and lothianwilly71 like this.
  4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's very easy to get distracted when driving on or off the salt during the day especially if a fast car is running or about to run and this was 8:45 am.
    Just think about the distractions today in your normal daily travel with food, phones, makeup applers, etc.
    In the early am or late in the day when 99% are going the same way it's much safer. A very sad occurrence.

els likes this.
  5. Prayers for all involved!

els likes this.
  6. Thoughts and prayers to their friend and family. I have had close calls driving out to the pits and always feared something like this. 55mph on the salt FEELS like 15mph anyway, so easy to have an issue

els likes this.
  7. els

els

Sad day, It can happen at any race event. Crazy thing is that race event is so wide open. right place at wrong time. Prayers for sure. Just enjoying what they love to do.

8. CME1

CME1

What a very bad accident to end such a great and fun event for those involved. Prayers to all involved

els likes this.
  9. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Ah crap Steve, just heard about this. So very sorry for all those involved. Please accept our condolences and well wishes for all the family and friends
    Johnny/Suzi

10. Budget36

Budget36

Dang sad.

els likes this.
  11. When at the salt last year I was amazed at the speed limit from the end of the paved road to the pits. Very sad that anyone got hurt let alone killed. Thoughts and Prayers for all affected. JW

els likes this.
  12. Terrible news - our thoughts and prayers to all of the Bonneville family ....

13. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

We were there from Thursday to Tuesday, the racing surface was terrible and the access road to the short courses were terrible because the BNI had to scrap out the best course (s) they could find. With the increase in the speeds, 300 is the new 200 and 400 is starting to become 'common', the long course started just about right at Roads End to give a 9 mile run for the long boys. This require that the road to the short courses hug the dike, which is a bad place in good years.
    After Jack Bateman's tumble on Sunday (?, I can't remember) the long course start line was moved up one mile and over one track (there was 3 side-by-side tracts to pull from for the week) which gave a much better road to the short courses.
    The salt this year was not bad from the mining, but rather from the weather/drying conditions, too hot too fast, then rain.

els, 383deuce, deucemac and 2 others like this.
  14. clem

clem

Thread is 15 months old, I don’t think that they were racing and I don’t think that they were drunk.

15. ................Go find another forum and take your bullshit spam with you.