Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Bonneville... On the Bucket List?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

wow. Its definitely on the list. Long trips are hard to come by when me and my dad have our own small business. I think we are gonna try to do 1 every year.
    '10 Lonestar Roundup
    '11 Jalopy Showdown
    '12 Bonneville
    '13 Trip to california?

haha, i can probably plan hot rod trips 15 years in advance if I wanted to.

2. Three of us leave Friday after work, should hit the salt fairly early Saturday morning driving straight through. Unfortunately once again we will in the newer daily driver. Some year I hope to be driving one of my rides that is a little more worthy (and cooler) than a daily....But hey, at least we get down there to enjoy the races.

3. Allan Songer

Allan Songer

My car (Dodge Magnum) might not be HAMB friendly, but my 1962 Airstream Bambi trailer is! We'll be leaving from Long Beach at 4:30 AM on Friday--should be at the bend in the road some time mid to late afternoon.

4. DrivenDead

DrivenDead

Leaving tonight! Unfortunately my car isn't :(
    Next year... next year.... SEE YOU ALL THERE!!!!

5. Jay (Jive-Bomber) ... Great Blog! ... looking forward to your future contributions to The Jalopy Journal.

I've been to B'ville more times than I can count ... caught "Salt Fever" at the age 9 (click HERE) ... but I've never driven a Hot Rod to the Salt ... the last Speed Week my father attended was in 1989 ... so I had planned on driving his coupe to Speed Week '09 (i.e., 20 years later) ... tagging along with my dad's buddy (HAMBer plywude) in his '36 Roadster ... but it just wasn't in the cards :(

I'm now shooting to make the drive in 2011 to the 63<SUP>rd</SUP> Annual Bonneville Nationals ... Speed Week '11 will mark 20 years since we scattered my Dad's ashes over the flats (click HERE).

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  6. Firefly

Firefly

Ha, ha, how right...... commuting from New Zealand for Speed Week is costly, and it isn't the same in a rental, BUT we have been 3 times so far and it is soooooo worth the effort. :D

7. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

Todd, you failed to mention that it's you, your brother , sister and mother standing by the streamlinner. The photo of your dad touched me I will always remember Jonh Walsh saying that all he could hear down the salt was your dad telling him to go faster, sorry you couldn't make it this year .......:D

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  8. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

It's in the plan. 2 years from now when I grauate school (again) I and my dad are going to hit it up.

9. huffreport

huffreport

Find a guy named Alan Mortlock... He's from England. He's very cool.

Kevin

10. just a quick note for you Bonne-bound northwest guys, and hell, for everyone else there...something quite special is scheduled to take place there this week. Bob Drury from Eugene Oregon will attempt to better a record he owns, I believe, in a yellow 53 Studee...Bob was a very good friend of Eric Sanders, a hot rodders hot rodder in our community who passed away last summer from Lou Gehrigs disease and who absolutely worshiped Bonneville. It was his dream to go fast there one day. It was on his "Bucket List". Well, his dreams will be realized next week, as his ashes will be packed into the chute of the Stude and when it pops open after a 250+mph run, out will pop Eric and he will forever be a part of the place he so much loved. His brother and some other relatives are to be on hand for that. It would be great if someone could video that run and post it on the Utube. here are some pix of a modified Eric built and didnt get to finish, and of the yellow Studee at Erics Memorial last September. God SPEED, Eric & Bob!

Attached Files:

11. It is planned, as in tommorow I am leaving. Not taking an old car, but I will be there. See all of you there.

CBB

12. Hi , Your daughter has been there but you havent'????? Shame on you!!

13. whitlock

whitlock

Can't wait. Leaving tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

14. milkweed

milkweed
    from SLC UT

want to leave right now but have to wait till i get off work tomorrow see you all there

15. Brewton

Brewton

I keep saying I'm going "next year" and next year comes and goes......
    I will make it out there!.... eventually.

16. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Made my first trip in 2004 on the big airplane...still, what an experience after WANTING to go for the previous forty years. My 12 year-old and I will be there next year in the '40 coupe as it will be back on the road by then. DD

17. Elkohauler

Elkohauler

Just completed a "bucket List" trip to Hot August Nights and The Bonneville Salt Flats with 7 of my buddies in 4 old cars. Left Wichita,Ks and drove Hiway 50 to South Lake Tahoe. If you haven't made that trip, I recommend it....beautiful scenery. I drove my '64 Elk, and my friends drove a '40 ford coupe, a '62 biscane big block, and a late model 'vette. It was a great trip and seeing all the cars at Reno / Sparks would have been perfect. Then we decided to make the trip back thru Wendover and a stop at Bonneville for speed week. All I can say is Wow!!! The cars, the people, the races, the pictures......a perfect close to a "Bucket List" trip. All the cars did well on the trip...and so did all us old guys. Already planning the next trip. Hope the pic below comes across.

Elkohauler

/Users/bernie/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Aug 8, 2009_3/SN850340.JPG

18. ian_seven

ian_seven

19. Marcia

Marcia

Nice pictures ian. Thanks for posting.