Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bonneville - now- 24 hours and counting!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Digger_Dave, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

1:50 MDT - Thursday

Just spoke to Cword who is already at the salt flats, he was standing in the Tech area. (North of '49 - 1149 B/STR)

Track condition: PERFECT!
    Weather: HOT and DRY!

2. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Bitch'n. Tomorrow I'll be there; beautiful sounds on Saturday. I don't know how I survived all those years before I went to Bonneville.

3. I know I cant wait, my nipples are hard just thinking about it!! [​IMG]

4. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Hey, you two are just "spitting distance" from Bonneville!

Takes the rest of our crew (North of '49) TWO DAYS drive to get there!!

5. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Bring on the SUN, SALT and SPEED... I can't wait!! See you guys Friday night.

There is a HAMB meeting Saturday at 1:00 pm isn't there?

LP

6. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    There is a HAMB meeting Saturday at 1:00 pm isn't there?
    LP

[/ QUOTE ]

Where is going/supposed to be?

7. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

I read here somewhere that it was at one end of the pits. I'm not sure which end. I'll do some digging and repost.

LP

8. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

North end of the pits, not far past the four mile marker.

9. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

No, No, No.........its at the bend in the road Saturday night. Before I leave in the AM tomorrow.....Im gonna hit the pallet yard and bring stuff to burn!

Mike

10. GEGE

GEGE

when there check out norm francis b/ street roadster #1132, its a primered black 32 highboy, i helped him for 6 months on the fiberglass work, body and mounting , im proud to have my name on it plug plug, on the dyno last week it had 520 hp to the rear wheels and it was calculated at 6 grand to be going 196 mph. he should be there tomorrow so say hi he is a # one in my book true rodder.

11. I printed up a schedule off the internet SCTA site that gave the Bonneville dates as being held in September?? Is there another run in Sept?

12. yes, there is another run in Sept. But this is the one you want to go to..

13. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

Damn it. I really wish I was going to Speed Week.

Have fun, guys!

14. 48_HEMI

48_HEMI

I'm not there again, But I do get another T-Shirt. I plugged three more holes with glass in Kewitinbashers Model A so the drive would be a little nicer for (he claims [​IMG]) his 15 year old son.

Attached Files:

15. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Hot DAMN! I just scored a room at the Peppermill Saturday night.

HAMB MEETS ON SATURDAY!

1: 1PM just past the pits.
    2: Meet after dark at the bend in the road Sat evening.

For those who haven't been there here's a quick layout. When you turn off the highway there's a truck stop. You can get water and snacks there. I think they have showers too. From the truck stop, you go out on the road to the salt and the road will make a bend. This is the bend in the road everyone talks about. You can camp there and lots of people do. There are no shitters, no water, no tables. Nothing but a flat spot to put up your tent or park your rig. Bring everything you'll need in with you, and pack it out when you leave.Continuing on down the road to the salt, you'll come to the end of it and will buy your tickets. Then you drop down onto the salt and follow the markers out to where the course is. It's different every year depending on salt conditions. First big batch of cars you come to out there will be the starting line. Good place to see the cars up close. Continue down the course to about the 1/2 way point and you'll find another big gathering. That's the pits. They sell burgers and pop there and it's another good place to see the cars up close. Right after the pits is where we'll meet at 1pm sat. As for watching the racing, just park your car anywhere along the rope barrier and break out your pop-up and lawn chairs. I like to park after the pits because the cars are up to speed there. Bring binoculars and a radio. They have a station that gives information on who's running and how they're doing. Bring water, sunglasses and sunscreen. Pack all your garbage back out or at least stick it in the dumpsters. You have to make your own shade so popups are a plus. See you there! I'm headed out after work tonight. [​IMG]

16. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

I'll be getting there saturday night, hope for no rain sunday or monday, seeya at southern eXposure.

17. 48_HEMI

48_HEMI

his mug shot [​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. Rocket88

Rocket88

An old friend is going to take his last ride at Speed week.
    He passed away about 6 weeks ago and hasn't missed Bonneville in over 45 years.
    His ashes are going to be spread at 300 +.

Godspeed Bear!

19. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Here's my album from last year.
    After the meet at 1pm at the end of the pits, I'd like to see us move our cars out to a spot on the salt for a picture session.
    Don't know if my cell phone will work on the salt, but the number is 208-520-4830
    http://public.fotki.com/SmokinJoe/bonneville_speed/

20. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    when there check out norm francis B/STR street roadster #1132, its a primered black 32 highboy, i helped him for 6 months on the fiberglass work, body and mounting , im proud to have my name on it plug plug, on the dyno last week it had 520 hp to the rear wheels and it was calculated at 6 grand to be going 196 mph. he should be there tomorrow so say hi he is a # one in my book true rodder.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be taking a look; he's in the same class as we are! Hey, plugs are good! I have time and money (and my name!) in/on our car too!

Check out us crazy Canucks North of '49 - 1149 B/STR - Black '28 Ford A Roadster Pickup.

Look for the BIG Canadian Flag. Our pit is near the north end, track side. I'm the big guy with a grey beard "hobbling around" on a cane, stop by and say hello!!
    (I won't arrive until mid afternoon Sat.)

Joe, according to Cword, CB radios will be used again. They start on channel ONE, but may move up a couple of channels if the passing truckers on I-80 cause too much interference.

If you have an AM radio (portable or in your car) they also announce the times and speeds around 100 on your dial.

21. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Arden Beale from Idaho Falls will have the Grim Reefer there again too. A mean little flatty in it. XF VFALT #541

22. Bob K. and buddy, and a couple Aussies got here yesterday afternoon.
    Went to a cruise night and had a good time.
    Just learned that Bob broke a rocker arm on the 6 in his convert. Should have him up and going here shortly.
    Hopefully we'll be in Wendover this afternoon.

23. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    Arden Beale from Idaho Falls will have the Grim Reefer there again too. A mean little flatty in it. XF VFALT #541

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that the same class as the Tardel / Mackenzie roadster runs in? (never can keep all the class letters straight!)

24. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Ok fellas..Im gone. See ya Hooligan tonite at the bend in the road. Bob got me a room at the motel 6.....but I cant check in till Sat. I'll ber at the bend in the road in 2 hours!!!! [​IMG]

25. av8

av8

No, Dave. the Tar-Mac roadster is XF/BFMR -- Flathead/Blown Fuel Modified Roadster.

Sad to say I won't be there physically this year but I'm there right now in spirit! The team will be pitted next to Dave Tatom this year. Dave is running his own blown flathead in Dick "Poliform" Williams old street roadster which Dave purchased and updated. Dave is running against a 145.349 mph record in XF/BSTR and could very well be the new king of that hill. He did his dyno testing on Walt Austin's dyno in recent weeks, recording some 400-plus hp pulls on gas! The picture was taken last year during updating at Tatom's shop in Mount Vernon, Washington.

Stop by and say hi to Vern. Best of luck to you guys this year. Can't think of anyone I'd rather see snag the record than you lot! Be sure to document Mike's grin after his first certification pass.

26. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok fellas..Im gone... I'll be at the bend in the road in 2 hours!!!! [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some guys have all the luck! My flight time is longer than that; THEN we have to drive out to the salt from SLC!

27. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    No, Dave. the Tar-Mac roadster is XF/BFMR -- Flathead/Blown Fuel Modified Roadster.

Sad to say I won't be there physically this year but I'm there right now in spirit!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hunh..? What happened? I was looking forward to seeing you again ya 'ole buzzard.

[ QUOTE ]
    The team will be pitted next to Dave Tatom this year. Dave is running his own blown flathead in Dick "Poliform" Williams old street roadster which Dave purchased and updated. Dave is running against a 145.349 mph record in XF/BSTR and could very well be the new king of that hill. He did his dyno testing on Walt Austin's dyno in recent weeks, recording some 400-plus hp pulls on gas!

[/ QUOTE ]

This I gotta SEE!!

[ QUOTE ]
    Stop by and say hi to Vern. Best of luck to you guys this year. Can't think of anyone I'd rather see snag the record than you lot! Be sure to document Mike's grin after his first certification pass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Mike. Mike S. got there on Wed. and hasn't "touched ground" YET!! (talked to him yesterday and he is SO excited; I could hardly understand him! I'm flying down tommorow morning.

Now if the air intake modifications will work! BTW - How do you cross more than two fingers on one hand?

28. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Looks like I won't make it until tomorrow. Had some minor problems with the roadster this morning requiring a few hours of hand-dirtying. Seems to be ready now, well, at least until the next failure..... See y'all tomorrow, before noon if all goes well.

29. aussiesteve

aussiesteve
    BANNED

Leaving tonite
    See you tomorrow
    Comp coupe 723.

30. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Gonna catch a few Zs and head for the salt about 2am.
    Back to the top for those who haven't read the meet info yet. [​IMG]

Alpha Mike Foxtrot till Monday.