Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bonneville Model A Engine

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Schwanke Engines, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

So we build Model A engines as basically our 2nd most popular engine, but 99% of them are just the basic machined for insert mains and do new Rods and all the usual stuff. I've got a customer that is wanting to do a Bonneville Belly Tanker using a Model A platform. We are planning on doing an External Dry Sump setup for the oiling system and I was wondering if there is any old documentation or if someone has had experience with doing a pressure oiling system using a Model B crank. I don't think the stock tubes in the block will hold up to high pressure produced by a dry sump and was just looking for a bit of direction if there is info out there.

2. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Ask this over on the monthly Banger meet thread.Lots of guys on there with plenty of experience and ussualy pretty helpful.

Blues4U likes this.
  3. rusty valley

rusty valley

there is lots of info on this in old secrets of speed magazine ( SOS ) . i'm not sure they are free online, but they do sell old volumes too, or did ? you are correct about the tubes as they have a seam in them. i believe they just drove seamless tubing inside they old. there is another minnesota hamber with a streamliner 4 banger that is a quite sophisticated machine. i cant recall the mans name, some one will. good luck

4. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I built a couple of flathead B's for vintage circle track racing several years ago.I used a 4 stage Aviad dry sump pump.
    I drilled the crank but did not cross drill. I used the stock oil tubes in the block. Ran 100 lb oil pressure. No problems with the tubes.

5. There's an engine builder/racer out of Denton, Tx - Pizzaro ? I know I'm misspelling the name - ran an A coupe at Bonneville that was a real slick built motor.

6. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Dennis Piranio out of Denton holds the Model A LSR at Bonneville and has raised it every year. Latest I saw at his shop now has a Roots type blower with 18.5 #'s boost. Very innovative engineering on entire car.