Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bonneville / Lakes car weight question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sixcarb, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

I have read several times on here that weight isn't really an issue when building a car for Lakes racing, can someone let me know why lighter isn't better, is having a heavier car better for handling? wind? traction? momentum? Just been thinking about it more and more and would like to hear frome someonethat has the facts.

2. Traction is a real issue, and weight helps with that. Weight also slows you down and requires more HP. Like most things, it's a double edged sword

If you look some of the fastest cars on the salt, Its beginning to show that fwd and
    4wd cars are having good results. The Burklands and the Saltosaurus are two examples.

Please be advised that this is my opinion, and will no doubt cause a shitstorm of disageement.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  3. RichFox

RichFox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If your drag (Wind resistance) overcomes your thrust (Traction) you will cease accelerating. Traction is limited by coefecent of friction of the tire on the salt and the downforce on the tire. You can use aerodynamics to increase down force, and at the samt time increase drag, or increase weight and at the same time increase inerita. The correct way is to keep adding weight until the car slows down, then take some out.