Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Bonneville is a month away...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jul 6, 2017.

1. OL SWEDE

OL SWEDE
    from midwest

Thanks for the update. It's gettin closer

2. deucemac

deucemac

Going up this year to help a friend cross off an item from his bucket list. The last time he did any racing at all was early to mid '60's dragsters. He decided it was now or never and bought a car. What a learning curve and memory jogger it has been for him so far. I have been on crews before so he asked if my son and I would help out. It's been interesting and at times a real Chinese fire drill but he has gained so much. From surprised comments at the last minute like " Why do I need a medical release?" to foresight comments like "My belts are dated for next year but I felt better replacing them now. I asked him if he was bringing anyone else and he told me 3. I asked him if any had Bonneville or dry lakes experience and he commented "nope". I told my son that it appears school will be in session this year.
    This all reminds me of a few years ago when my daughter and I were sitting in my truck behind the rope on the short course starting line. A fellow was standing nervously next to us and was looking every which way trying to take it all in. He somehow stopped and looked at us and asked if we had ever come before? I replied that we came EVERY year. He looked stunned and said that he had waited all his life to come, was 48 and from Kentucky and finally made it. We chatted briefly as he was looking everywhere and trying to see everything at once. He finally looked at us, nervous as ever and said he needed to "go see some more stuff" and headed down the line to the long course starting line. My daughter looked at me, laughed and said "I just love hearing a Salt Virgin talk!" I have a feeling that I am about to hear several "Salt Virgins" talking about the experience in about 8 days!

3. OL SWEDE

OL SWEDE
    from midwest

4. OL SWEDE

OL SWEDE
    from midwest

Well I'm pretty sure I've been called worse.:D

5. Less than a week. I look forward to getting there!

6. When is the first day?

7. I was a salt virgin (what an insightful observation by your daughter) at the 50th in 1998. Been back 8 or 9 times since and crewed on the #974 Studebaker for most of those trips. I've been able to introduce several pals to the salt experience also. Sadly, can't go this year.

deucemac likes this.
  8. This Saturday. JW

9. deucemac

deucemac

Racing is the 12th through the 18th. Tech is open Thursday and Friday the 10th and 11th. Hope to have the car pass tech by Friday afternoon and be in line Saturday morning. Car 384 C/GR stop and say hello!

10. joe buck

joe buck

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Todays pic t about 8:30 am. Note pits being set up on left. Little rain in Wendover. Salt looks fine. bflat_cam_current.jpg

Nailhead Jason, Nobey, RMR&C and 2 others like this.
  12. Thanks for the update Rich. I look forward to seeing Bonneville for the first time.

13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

And this afternoon. At about 6pm MDT.Pretty dark on the salt. I hear there have been thunderstorms but it is now sunny. More activity on the salt. I just noticed, the cone is down again. Guess some storm hit the salt also.. bflat_cam_current.jpg in Wendover

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  14. Daddy_O

Daddy_O

Thank you for your updates Rich. Hoping for some hot dry weather, and sunny skies on the salt.

15. Lets hope not too hot, the DA goes ballistic!!

16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

It's not a month away anymore. Pits filling up. Weather looking good. bflat_cam_current-5.jpg

Nobey likes this.
  17. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I have studied the photos taken by this camera and I am still not sure where the camera is located. I think it might be out from the rest area on the Interstate but it would need to be out on the salt a ways as I think there is a salt dike in this area. Today the picture seems to show the far end of the pits. I can see some open areas that may be the entrance to the pits from the return road. When the cars start running, we may be able to speculate more. I think it is really nice to have this camera shot. I am hoping someday we will have a live streaming video that we can view. Landracing.com is planning to stream live audio again this year. I plan to have it blasting out of the speakers in the shop.

John

18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Rich, Thanks for the updates, I am not going to make it this year. Last week was a busy one for me, as I was building headers, along with making other alterations to a friend's car. He made the switch from a blown flathead, to one of Don Ferguson's finest. Could you please post the link to the live radio broadcast of the event ? Thanks. IMG_0440.JPG

mctim64 likes this.
  20. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

21. A Boner

A Boner

Thanks Rich Fox! https://www.meridix.com/channel/?liveid=Landracing#/
    Check this link out! It's audio live from the salt. VERY COOL!
    Not sure what they are broadcasting now, as I though they didn't start running till Saturday.
    I plan on listening to this all weekend and into next week.
    I'm guessing this is the same audio that they broadcast on FM radio when you are there.
    The audio continues to work even when you continue to scan the H.A.M.B. and probably other web sites too!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I am having a problem getting the broadcast, just a bunch of ads and downloading. In the past it was easy and not complicated.

23. A Boner

A Boner

Same here Marty.....must be having some broadcast problems.

Says they are having onsite WiFi problems.....the Saturday feed isn't working, but the test audio from Friday is transmitting???

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  24. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I see an "on site wi fi problem. Please stand by" message. I'm not going to stand for this. I will sit.

grapeboy likes this.
  25. A Boner

A Boner

Guess the Friday audio test isn't part of the WiFi problem as it is still working for me. Probably a bad computer part made in Fuc King China.

26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

27. Dodge Brother

Dodge Brother

Hey
    We just got home from 3 days of spectator duty on the salt! There were some good runs and some quite disastrous runs! Everyone we talked to made mention of how rough the courses were, bone rattling. It seems conditions got worse as the event went on. None the less it's still the greatest show going! T

deucemac and mctim64 like this.
  28. Got to the salt on Thursday, set up the pit location and unloaded the race cars. Keith's 32 flew through teck with flying colors on Friday. Made one test run at 174 MPH. hooked up the tow bar to go back to the pit & the return road was so dam rough we broke the right wish bone and screwed a lot of other things up. End of Keith's racing for this year. Andy, Dustin & Bill waiting for a water pump for the roadster to get here, so it will be Monday or Thus. before they get to go.

deucemac and 48fordnut like this.