Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bonneville bound ?? banjo rearend noise

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GARY?, Jul 28, 2009.

1. GARY?

GARY?

I do not want to drive the VW Rabbit to B'ville again...so I'm bustin' hump trying to get the pickup ready for the drive.

I just installed 3.54 gears (from Speedway) in my '46 Ford rearend. I've driven it for 20-30 miles so far. I'm getting a consistant tick, tick, tick that speeds up as I increase my speed. In gear or coasting.
    I'm having a difficult time sorting out if it's at the wheel end of the axle/axles or at the center section. I know it's not up front, speedo gear, cable, etc. I've disconnected and put my ear to the area while driving it.

Some (not all) new bearings, same housings and axles but different center section then before. 600W oil in it too.
    It seems to get little bit louder if I drive it longer. When I initially take off (after it sits a bit) I don't seem to hear it.

I cannot get it to make the noise on jack stands. Tried spinning one wheel, both wheels the same way, in gear running, etc..

If there's not enough preload on the differential bearings could they do this?
    This is my first rear rebuild. I referenced the HAMB and Fordbarn for build info.

Anybody have this happen to them? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, Gary

Sure would love to hear from Dick Spadaro on this one.

2. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Gary...Sounds like a clearance issue inside a brake drum to me. Try backing the adjustment off on one drum....then do the other after your test drive.I had a brake spring come out of the shoe and cause a similar thing as far as a noise goes one time. I`ll look for you at the Salt.....been a while since I got that door from you....Kiwi Paul...

3. jangleguy

jangleguy

Gary - PM me for contact info if you need help. And I'd run this by Dr. Lockjaw (Jamie), too...
    Scotty

4. Are you still running a Torque tube ?? Could it be the retaining bolt that hooks the drive shaft to the rear is broke ??

5. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Scotty...Stop trying to keep that Guitar in tune and get down there and help the guy....Actually running it out to Jamie`s probably is a good idea, plus if you talk nicely, you might get a ride. Don`t tell Gary that your ears don`t work too well after years of Morris Minor noise and associated Jangle stuff, though....just pretend to listen for the noise on the way......

6. GARY?

GARY?

Yeah, still running the torque tube. I've had that bolt rub before. Good idea to check.
    tick tock, tick tock...

Thinking tomorrow I'll pull the drums and check for signs of rubbing/wear. Wonder if one one the backing plate mounting bolts rotated while putting it all back together?
    If that looks OK, I'll pull the rear out and check the driveshaft bolt/pin.

The noise does not change under braking by the way.

Great to hear from you guys.

Paul, you'r headed to B'ville?

Scotty, I'll be bugging Dr. Lockjaw, I love bugging him.:D:D

The plan is to meet up with Mike Miller along the way.

7. GARY?

GARY?

I've already got a buddy that can't hear listen to it.
    Couldn't hurt to have one more :D

8. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Yep Gary...no Sedan tho. The Hamb`r I sold it to last year did a nice job finishing it up and it`s on the `Bay at the moment.....Going in a white 62 Belair...will look for you....we get there Friday, going the usual way thru Idaho.....

9. 32to40

32to40

I've had the same noise and it was the repo parking brake cable springs being too long and rubbing on the drum.

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Another thing, just for peace of mind...pull drain plug, run a magnet through the soup.
    Probably find minor break in steel, judgement call on too muchness.
    Put plug back in with magnet attached, check new fluid an plug after a few more miles.
    Oh, wait! I see the problem! Your mufflers are too quiet!!

11. GARY?

GARY?

I FIGURED IT OUT !!!!! I'm as giddy as a school girl.

It was the Tardel drum keepers bumping the weights on the drums. Easy fix. and like I told Scotty, it only took me pulling one drum off to find the problem.
    Thanks for listening and the suggestions.

Now it's time to jet the flatty up a size and see how she pulls.

I feel a Bonneville freak-out coming on :eek: :eek:

Dr. Lockjaw, what is the cure???

P.S. Yes Bruce, the mufflers are too quiet.

12. butch27

butch27

My drum keepers are blocking the bleeders. Have to trim them back tomorrow.

13. j ripper

j ripper
    from napa ca.

man i bet that was a relief..

14. GARY?

GARY?

Yeah it's a huge relief. Before the deadline was killing me. Now I can't wait to get on the road.

15. jangleguy

jangleguy

Another mystery solved! Good work, my friend. Now let's get on the road...
    By the way, don't tell anyone, but Dr. Lockjaw has never been to Bonneville! You need a co-pilot, Corn Boy? Give him a call. This could be the year...

Kiwi Tin Basher: What were you jabbering about? Speak up, man! I can barely hear you...