Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Bonneville 2012 In Car video of our roadsters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hans' Rod & Cycle, Sep 14, 2012.

1. There have been several good threads with general pics and whatnot, so I won't put up a bunch o' pics. I am part of a group of guys from Houston, Texas and we run a '23 T and a '27 T roadster, both in the Modified Roadster class. We are the Contrivance Engineering guys. Some of you know the cars.

The '23...The yeller car has been doing pretty well the last 9 or so years since we started racing in GMR with a little E motor. After getting the E record we just started building bigger motors until we got the AA record. Just this year we thought it would be cool to try and go 300mph with a smallish gas motor with boost. We built a D motor, 296ci sbc with a single turbo. We were late in the year when it all came together so were WAY behind when Bonnevile crept up. anywho, we learned alot..mainly, HOLY CRAP turbos make alot of heat under the hood! Pretty much every run was like , OK, what's smoking now and what can we do to make it stop...we had lots of wrap, but not enough time for coatings and whatnot. Enough long windedness. THis is a video of our last run. Not our fastest run, but the funnest with some wheelspin and lots of sidewind from both directions. It was late Friday, last day of racing. We did end up driving over 300, but didnt set the record over 3. Next year. This little short stroke chevy was amazing. 2.96in stroke...;)...the starter fails right on the line here , so we push Ro off.

and now the '27...This was really just an R&D and licensing car up until 2010 when Craig Christie and I decided we wanted our own Red Hat in the 200mph Club. Crewing is fun but hats are cooler. You might remember a long winded post about htis time in 2010 when I got my red hat. We run in the B/BGMR class. 432BBC and a front mounted ProCharger F1R, 4spd and 3 pedals. Very low tech, but works OK. We upped my record this year and got a teamate his red hat. So its not my record anymore...asshole... It wasn't all good though. We only made 3 passes...At the end of the backup run for the record the trans in the ProCharger locked up...which threw the belt...which took out the exposed timing belt....yeah, it's true .770+ inch lift on your valves does constitute a "interference motor"...bent all the valves. If you can have any luck, this happened at 6600rom or so, the #2 cyl snapped off the intake valve head and a 2" section of valve stem which was dancing around in the cylinder for who knows how long(well I do becuse it's on video, he should have shut it down when the belt schrapnel started flying out from under the hood...)...but anyway, our brand new GM perf cnc block has only BARELY a fingernail of a nick at the top of the cylinder in that hole....must have had some good karma after all...So sucks I didn't get my turn to drive , but as they say, That's racing...(and the blower had dyno time only after being at ProCharger...not happy about that...)...here ya go...

I drove my '50 Chevy from Houston out to Bonneville and back for shits n giggles....I didnt drive it on the salt every day, just sneeked out on way out of town to take a pic...6 banger power lives! Hope you enjoyed the ride....Hans

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  2. "whats smoking now and what do we do to make it stop?"

Priceless! I will remember that for when I get a turbo setup going!

Great clips Hans!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  3. Thanks, yeah, this was a "working" year, both before heading out and at the salt. makes it more interesting though...I was beat when I arrived, even before we started racing, but then of course you get that buzz immediately..;)

4. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I want to see more pictures of your Chevy!! Is that what you put my Pontiac door on??

5. hey there! No, your door went on my '49 Streamliner, but that project is stalled due to shop issues. I found this driver chevy and started working on it, immediately freshening up the suspension/tires and then chopping it.

6. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Those are some great videos! Thanks for posting

7. Here's what happens when your blower locks up right before the 5 mile and what the blower belt does to the cam belt what does to the valves and pistons....good thing it was the backup run...yes, next year there will be a guard aroud the cam belt...

Attached Files:

8. Looks ugly Hans, how is the rest of the internals? Rods?

9. Luck was on our side. The #2 cyl lost the head and a 2 inch section of the intake valve at 6700rpm or so....and the cylider BARELY has a nick you can feel with your fingernail....and this after we manned up and bought a brand new GM CNC block this year....we will replace the rods as they are aluminum AND we had 4 full days of dyno testing on them. Head will need an intake seat, all else looks OK..even the cam and lifters are perfect....valves will need some welding and straightening in the vise..;)...

10. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Wow that video is so cool and thanks for posting sucks that the bearing went on ya

11. Cool video! Even with problems it's still fun to watch. Faster than I've seen out my screen.

12. jdubbya

jdubbya

Thanks for letting us ride along