Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bones ? for a 32 ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by harleycontracter, Sep 27, 2012.

1. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

2. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I do believe the HillBilly making obscene comments about '32 owners actually means, "The guys with the best, most popular, coolest, finest rides." That boy just don't unnerstand nuthin". 'Nuff said !

3. I have a nice, straight and uncut 1932 wishbone.......What is the going price? Make me an offer.....will be at Hershey!

Murph

4. Andy

Andy

I have modified A bones with fabricated ends. They are cheap and I could get them to clear the tie rod.

Attached Files:

5. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

That’s a great idea …. the 42 - 48’s have ends w a big offset like that

6. F&J

F&J

Andy, The OP's 32 ended up with 35/36 bones, but because the 32 spindles/arms work best with tie rod above, the bones got flipped upside down.

Yes, piecut needed to get caster correct, but they needed cutting even if not flipped, as caster was at 10-plus unflipped.

The flipping let the tie rod run above, so the 32 arms fit so much better, and are not bent up too short.

That "heavy look" of the spring-ahead stump where the old spring hangers got cut off, that is now at the bottom. That got the car 1/2" lower, and was a perfect spot to buttweld new shock studs to those 35/36 stumps. This did away with the modern looking lower bolt-on mounts that attach to the perch pin bottom. (sorry,no pic of the new welded mounts)

Disregard the mock up draglink made from a 34 tie rod; Dick Spadaro made up some pieces to make an adjustable link using these style tie rod ends, but with new heavy tubing.

Also, bones got tucked under the car to get full steering without hitting them.

Attached Files:

7. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

That is a pretty slick solution, Frank. I'm gonna have to put this in the file!

8. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Andy,

Where did you get those "fabricated ends"...?

Mahalo
    Tommy

9. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

I have used 35-40 bones on several 32 that I have built using the above ^^^ procedure. Works great, looks like a stock 32-34 wishbone, and they are cheap:D
    Bitchin 5 window:D

10. metaldave

metaldave
    from michigan

I see that you are using a F-! steering box. What kind of a column drop did you use? How much did you drop it from stock? Thanks Dave

11. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Used a stock F-1 column drop and Frank ( F&J) stretched it to make it work.

12. F&J

F&J

The added drop was one inch total, as I recall.

13. Mart

Mart

It may be worth mentioning that the 32/33/42 bones are designed to have the track rod above the bones, and 35-up are designed to have them below.

Basically you can use whatever you can lay your hands on, it all depends on if you want a specific look and are prepared to spend time and or money to get the exact result you want.

Mart.

14. Yeah Mart, If you look at post #36, it'll show you how to "flip" later bones '35 and up to run tie rod above the bones like the earlier ones, It's a neat idea..