Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs bondo type?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by arnolddyer, May 8, 2011.

1. arnolddyer

arnolddyer

I just bought a 1955 NOMAD.Always wanted one since I missed out on one when I was 16 yrs. old. Nomads seem to be very expensive , so I found one in California that was reasonable,because it needs so much work. This one has the cursed roof rust.But it runs and drives! Probably the best thing would to be put another roof on it but, I just want to drive it and enjoy it first. Then if I find a roof, replace it in the winter. My question is it's been 30 yrs. since I've done body work, so I'm wondering what is out there, "Bondo" wise, that I should use.I don't know if it still exists but, in my day there was All Metal,Aluminoy,Rot-out,Tiger hair and Bondo. Is there anything out there that will get me by for a year or two that you guys would recommend?Thanks

2. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

Evercoat Rage Gold, USC Fuzion also works well for the price.

3. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

IMO for your case it won't matter much how good the filler is because it is going to outlast the metal you are putting it on anyway.

"Evercoat Z-Grip" is cheap and sands easy, it should work for what you want.

4. West Marine and other marine outlets carry 3M marine premium filler and Evercoat 27 filler. Both of these products are waterproof making them a better bet than Bondo!

How 'bout some pics? (If we can't see it, it doesn't exist!)

5. 70dodgeman

70dodgeman
    from Alpha NJ

Duraglass works awesome.

6. Master of None

Master of None

Another for Rage Gold, sands easy no pinholes.

7. arnolddyer

arnolddyer

I will try to put up some picks, it may take a while because I've never done it before and don't know how to.

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

RAGE! against the darkness.... lol.

another for Rage Gold

9. arnolddyer

arnolddyer

I agree but, I just want to cruise around a bit before getting into anything major. With the rust on the roof,like it is, it is kinda embarrassing,so if I can slather some gook on it and add some color it won't be as bad. I know it won't be perfect,but it'll be better than what it is now.

10. Ob1

Ob1

I like Evercoat Quantum, it has options on the hardener speed. Easy sanding, no pinholes.

11. Evercoat products bar none. Rage, rage gold etc.................

12. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I understand what you want perfectly, I would want to drive the car for a while too. My point was for a temporary fix, $15.00 a gallon filler will work just as well as the stuff that costs twice as much. The $10 a gallon Bondo brand not so much, it is too damn hard, (i.e. hard to sand).

There is for sure a place for $30+ a gallon filler, I just don't think this is the place.

13. Cheap crap. Get it close and spray bomb it whatever color you like. Then start saving and buy new metal. The nice thing about tri-five Chevs is the availability of replacement parts. Build up your savings and do it right the first time.

Also, avoid driving in the rain with unpainted filler. Regular filler absorbs water. Duraglass doesn't, but I can't say you'll get a watertight seal on the rusty metal. It would be a bitch if you spent thirty hours on a patch and it comes off before you're ready!

14. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

i agree buy some cheaper price filler for a quickie. then when the time comes get the good stuff.

15. dannyego

dannyego

If you need to fill big holes, and kinda fill shape use duro glass or Bondo's equivelant to it you can buy at autohut. Hell I made almost a whole fender outta that shit once ;) shhhh... dont tell anyone

16. filthy frank

filthy frank

cheap bondo is never cheap ! it stays tacky , and it ruins sand paper quicker , so you use more sand paper , thats not cost effective.

17. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

grind out as much rust as you can, cover the holes in tape.. duraglass and cheese grate the first coat. and finish it off with some nice filler.. and dont be an asshole and sell it with that crap in there :)

18. arnolddyer

arnolddyer

19. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Why not actually fix the holes? This kind of half assed suggestion is BS especially from a supposed shop owner. Cut the rust out, make actual metal patch panels. Weld them in. Do it right the first time.

20. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I've found U-Pol Lightweight Gold is just as easy to use as Rage Gold, but at 1/3 the price.

21. Local shop is using Upol and loving it. You can also add fiberglass resin to it. I may try it next time around. And these guys do NICE paint work. I trust em.

22. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

because he said he diddnt want to. thats why. I would fix them. But he
    said he wanted to drive it and would fix it right when he had money.

its his car, I suggested a fair method for what he's going for.
    theres 1000 quick fixes. I named one.

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another vote for Evercoat Rage/Rage Gold.

24. friend of mine had an astro van that the roof rusted on. He filled the big holes with expanding foam. quick coat of duraglass and some mud . epoxy primed and them painted it. took all day between beers. I told him it wouldnt last, maybe as long as it took him to do it. Three years or so and didnt fall off but it was a beater work truck/van.

That should work for your quick tempory repairs.

i like rage filler but hate body work

25. large-stache

large-stache

Rage is great, but a little pricey. The U-Pol gold sand nice, but tends to pinhole. I use them both.