Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bonding fiberglass to metal...Feedback needed.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blacktopicasso, Jan 24, 2013.

1. blacktopicasso

blacktopicasso

I just purchased a fiberglass roof panel from "Mid Fifties F100" for my 56 and they recommended Automix body panel adhesive from Summit. Anyone ever use this stuff to attach fiberglass panels to metal. Besides a really clean bonding surface any other suggestions before I cross my fingers, pray and attempt it.:confused:

2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

theres 100 different ways to do it. if you search on here theres at least 10 different threads on it (if you find them)

3. 3M 8115 bonds steel, aluminum, smc, and fiberglass in any combination. Go to www.3mcollision.com for more information

4. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Yup what he said. I used that to shave a steel roll pan to a fiberglass bed, worked great. just dont slap bondo over it or you might have problems.

5. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

3M 8115 is used to bond outer skins on many new cars...more 'glue' used now rather than welds. I work on Paint Booths at dealers body shops, and see this kind of adhesive being used daily.

6. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

What they all said... 8115 made by 3m . A lot of the newer cars use the rivet bonding method nowadays ( it uses adhesive and rivets combined). If there is a way to hide the rivet heads that would be the way to go. Most newer cars have plastic trim and weatherstrips to hide them.

7. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Yup 3M ,8115.
    You can glue a cat to water with that shit.

8. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Hahahahahahaha. Friggin hilarious. Next to another term that always cracks me up that i've found you guys use, "The cat ass", thats going to have me laughing all day. Not something you hear in Limeyland very often.

Sorry to get off O/T. Yep use the 3M 8115, it's the dogs bollocks:D

9. blacktopicasso

blacktopicasso

Any difference between 3M-8115 and 3M-8116. The discription at Summit sounded the same and they recommended the 8116

10. 8116 is the gm and Chrysler approved product. Either will work fine. Both products carry the same warranty, corrosion inhibitors, handling characteristics ,etc.

11. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

How do you know? ;)

12. What problems are there when applying bondo over it?

13. He represents and sells the products...
    Uses them too.

14. The only problem I ever encountered is when we put metal structure inside a cheap glass body and it deformed the glass,,you could actually see where the metal was in a few places on the outside of the body. HRP

15. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I agree. I've seen the same thing. Also when molding glass fenders on a steel body or a steel panel on a glass body you can always see the the line.
    The 3m panelbond is the shit by the way. I use it all the time for a thousand different things

16. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

After bonding, it is best to use a kevlar based filler over the seam. This will help prevent seeing what is called the "bond line". If done correctly, you will have no problem. I prefer the SEM 39747 myself, over the 3M.

17. It will work but over time it will show a ring. Put a metal roof on it and call it a day.