Register now to get rid of these ads!

bomber seats.. were they actually used in trad hotrods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Patdoody, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Patdoody

Patdoody

I know its popular to use them now, but were they back then?, or at all? I assume probably not until late 60's? not sure when military surplus sales went into effect..

2. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Surplus stuff hit the market in 1946, including bomber seats. Lots of dry lakes cars were using them.

3. Yes! But mostly in dedicated racers.

4. Skirv

Skirv

Not so, they were being used in the 40's.

5. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Check out some Little Page mags. You'll see 'um on lots of dry lakes cars, but not really used in the street cars

6. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

[​IMG]

The Cotton Chopper was built here in Merced in the 50's and sported a bomber seat. The guy that built it was in the Air Force, wonder where he got the seat?! Like other guys have said I think it was more of a race car deal, they probably woulden't be too comfortable in a street car unless you put some kind of a pad in the bottom of the seat as I believe many seats of this style were designed to be used by a guy wearing a parachute.

7. handyandy289

handyandy289
    from Georgia

I ran them in 1960 in a 4" sectioned shoebox coupe. Bolted them flat to the floor and used a boat flotation cushion to sit on. No padding on the seat back.