Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bolt Resto A Simple How To...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3Kidsnotime, Nov 16, 2010.

1. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

I did this a couple years ago on another site and alot liked it, with anything it will get some criticism, but was a simple way to clean old hardware and give it a out of box new look without the use of phosphate.
    It works great for the back yarder guy on a budget and to save and re use specific hard to find hardware. Im sure alot here know how to do it but im sure some do not so hope it can help a guy out somewhere.

You need just a few items to do this a cup of motor oil, a propane torch, some pliers, wire wheel or blast cabinet.

[​IMG]

First our bolt

[​IMG]

Your going to want to clean it good, I bead blasted it but a wire wheel will look just fine

[​IMG]

After cleaning it good heat the bolt good with the torch

[​IMG]

After it is hot soak it in the oil

[​IMG]

Remove bolt from oil do not dry it and reheat one more time

[​IMG]

Soak the bolt while still hot one last time

[​IMG]

If you do not get the finish desired you might have not got the bolt hot enough the first time just repeat the process.

Before and after

[​IMG]

New bolt upper our old lower

[​IMG]

I hope this can help a few out!!

2. Kinky6

Kinky6

Nice tech, thanks!

Beats the heck out of "How much do you think this wheel color makes my ass look too big?" type posts. :D

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

3. daveymac405

daveymac405

thats just a neat little tech. nobody wants to use old rusty bolt on a fresh build.

4. Does the heating/oil dip do anything to help prevent further rusting?...

5. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

The heat and oil treatment will provide corrosion protection, not as much as a black phosphate and oil treatment but will provide some. I have done this for years with specific head hardware that is not available with it lasting for years before having to do the process over.

6. Moondog13

Moondog13

Awesome post 3Kidsnotime! :D

7. tikistan

tikistan

Thanks 3kidsnotime, Great tip.

8. Patdoody

Patdoody

cool post. I will def try this out.

9. lawman

lawman

Nice info. Thanks. Tom (Tired Old Man)

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

11. Am I the only one that shudders at the thought of someone doing this with an important grade 8 bolt??

12. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

Like I said it will have some criticism but You shouldnt be worried, unless its just a thought and not fact. The temperature with a propane torch will get no where close to having any form of hydrogen internal embrittlement to a SAE J429 fastner of any form (grade 8 bolt) The topic of coating to SAE J429 fasners has been of great topic in industrial construction for Hot Galvinizing for bridges and other extended life severe duty applications. Now this little poor mans way of cleaning his hardware gets no were near as hot as that process will be deemed just fine. If you need any info here is a good start http://www.portlandbolt.com/faqs/galvanizing-high-strength-bolts

This will give some insight on heat treating and given temps to hardware.

Personally on a chassis though I like NEW! But this was intended to lend a helping hand to clean and protect some hardware if it doesnt help do not use it... and agreed every process has a relm..

13. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

Very funny but it seems to never end..... But I do have a question about some lug nuts and opinions.....

14. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

Thanks 3Kids! I have some bolts and nuts that I derusted in vineger and this is just what I need.