Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bolt-in Dual Chamber MC for 1962 Galaxie?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DrDano, Jul 19, 2009.

1. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

Greetings folks. I'm midway through installing a disc brake setup on my '62 Galaxie wagon. I purchased a '68 Galaxie dual chamber master cylinder and turns out with my factory power booster the length is too long and I can't shut my hood. The stock unit is a single chamber "fruit jar" that I plan to deposit in the trash once I find a good dual to take its place. Does anyone have a listing for a dual chamber (disc/drum) master cylinder that will bolt in and clear on these earlier galaxies with the factory booster in place?

2. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

Just an update for those others out there who may have '61 to '62 era Galaxies with the factory power brakes wanting to upgrade to a dual chamber master cylinder. There is a stepped low profile unit that is sold by ABS Power Brake. However, I found the design to have the tendancy to trap a big air bubble in the front chamber. A crafty guy could probably fab some sort of flexible transfer tube between the high spot on the front chamber to the main reserviour. Contacting several other aftermarket brake companies came up empty in terms of a bolt on unit that would clear the hood. The small fruit jar unit Ford had on hand was likely done so because it was used on all other models of the year, and yes, it would just barely fit.

The solution has been to remove the power brake system entirely and move to manual brakes. A quick check of the ratio on the stock power brake pedal showed a ratio of 3.37, which is way too small for use as a manual brake pedal. The design of the manual pedal also would make it extremely difficult to move the pushrod pivot point. Oris Hove on here was able to hook me up with a manual brake pedal for the car that measures out to be 6.625, which is a much better ratio. A '68 Galaxie master cylinder can easily be swapped in now, which is for a car with disc front and drum rear and similar weight.

3. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Hey, I like Galaxies thats why I have 3 convs. and a wagon.

Not trad. in any way but I have a Wilwood on my 71, mine is disc/disc, but they make one for disc/drum that is very low profile.

Don't know if you've been to http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/galaxie-pages/ but a lot of info there for us Ford guys.