Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Bolt Identification

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I found a unusual bolt. Th rheas has two dots or pimples on it. Does anyone know where these are used?

2. squirrel

squirrel

Nope. But a picture, and bolt dimensions, and knowing where you found it, might give us some clues.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  3. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Approximately 3/8” diameter by 1/2”in length.

Attached Files:

4. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

As a side note -

Be careful when going for a specific grade fastener.
    MANY...offshore fasteners are NOT up to realistic or in other words, USA standards.
    Most offshore grade "8's", are closer to grade "5's".

Use caution.
    If it costs a bunch less than a similar size ARP, it IS "less" than an ARP fastener.
    Use the sound or spark test to verify a quality fastener before having your life depend on them.

Mike

26 T Ford RPU likes this.

5. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Looks like it could be a body bolt to hold front end pieces and the like. Why the headmarkings? Probably to let assembly line workers know which is which.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Found it in my driveway but I don't know if it's off of my OT Germanic ride or a friend's jalopy...

7. greybeard360

greybeard360

Looks like an oil pan or transmission pan bolt.

8. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I was thinking the same as I have a puzzling oil leak so I'll have explore. Just wondering if it was old/new, domestic/foreign...

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OT German is going to be metric for any year. Buddy's Jalopy shouldn't be normally but ????
    There is a chart somewhere in the net that shows just about every fastener manufactures markings on it world wide. Now all I have to do is remember where I saw it.
    I'd go along with oil pan, trans pan or body bolt though.

10. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

Appears to taper to a point on the thread end...that tells me body panel bolt rather than engine or trans fastener.
    Made that way so they will quickly find and align the hole on a cage nut or J-nut that fits loose on a panel hole.

11. Reidy

Reidy

I found a similar bolt to that. It was not until next time I lifted the seat on my husqvarna zero turn did I notice I only had one seat bolt out of three holding it in place. A couple of weeks later I noticed the third offending on whilst mowing.

Steve

12. What erickbova72 said. Body panel screwing into one of those slip on "nuts".
    what he called J nut?

Ben

13. 54vicky

54vicky

as eric and ben said no way would you use it on an oil pan or any regular tapped hole

14. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

In the body shop wa always called these J-nuts, looks lke the correct term today is clip-on barrel nut. Used all over front inner sheetmetal panels on muscle era stuff by GM in the pictured form. Those taper pointed bolts are typically all that is used in these type of nuts from the OEM.

[​IMG]

There is also a style that has an actual square nut welded to it. See them a lot on front shock absorber mounting in A-arms.

15. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

The bolt doesn't taper. But the Husqvarna may be a lead.... my lawn mover may have lost a bolt. I'll check.